Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-10, 11:58am

Unhappy Newbie in Crisis....Help

I am normally not a lazy person.......but I got so sick of reaming bead release last night, that I decided to google ways to easily remove bead release.
I stumbled upon a thread on some site, stating to soak the beads in vinegar and that loosens, even dissolves a good amount of that awful bead release. I poured at least 300 small lamp work beads into the jar and filled it up with ordinary household vinegar. My plan was to soak them for about 30 minutes........I started watching Real Housewives, one show lead to another, next thing I know, I woke up on the couch this morning, all lights on, TV on, etc. I poured the beads out and gave them a good wash......they looked great.....there was a good amount of the release on the bottom of the jar. I was soooo happy, until......I dried the beads. There is now a silvery film on the beads that has a rough texture. When you make it wet, it kinda disappears, but then when completely dry it reappears. The film can be removed, by exfoliating it in a rough towel.......Can these beads be saved.....any suggestions to remove that yucky film. The one time I decide to be lazy, it backfires. So sad about it.......please help!
Old 2010-05-10, 12:01pm

Toilet bowl cleaner removes other silvering, soak them for a bit in that and then wash them with soap? I'm not positive as I hadn't tried that yet... I just soak in hot water and clean with the mandrel swipe up and down a few times - I love Fusion bead release.

(Did you try dish soap and hot water already?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-05-10, 12:01pm
The Grand Foobah

fill a bowl with warm soapy water and soak them. Then use a sponge to wash each one. Rinse thoroughly. This should work.

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2010-05-10, 12:09pm
Live and Let Live

I'm thinking that the film is just the dissolved bead release that has settled onto the outside of the beads now. Warm soapy water and a rub with a towel should do the trick. Cleaning them is just part of the process. I use the time to check for sharp ends, pits etc and admire (or laugh at) each bead as I handle it. Embrace the process!

Old 2010-05-10, 12:50pm

I did try soaking them in hot soapy water, but the coating is very stubborn. Even with a rough towel it takes some elbow grease. I just tried the toilet bowl cleaner soak......hope it works, I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks for the fast responses!
Old 2010-05-10, 1:13pm

An elderly lady I once knew gave me the advice,"when all else fails,try milk". I never knew what it really meant until I needed to get permanent marker off of a baseball glove. Not that i think this scum is anything like permanent marker. Although, the milk worked so well that I have used it for other various cleaning tasks throughout the years and always suprises me. Tell us what happens if you do try it, but I would'nt do more than one bead just in case,(considering I have never done this and do not want to give advice that could harm your work).
Old 2010-05-10, 2:52pm

I have no idea if this is the problem or not, but you said that you put the beads in vinegar. The solution used for etching is an acid. Vinegar is an acid, although a much weaker one than the normal. Is it possible you have done a very light etch?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-05-10, 3:21pm

I too read about using vinegar several years ago. It does seem to help though I don't use this trick anymore cause if you have beads with say Dk Silver Plum it will take the metallic shine from them. I've often wondered what it would do to the shine of silver laden glass.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-05-10, 4:21pm
Lover of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I have no idea if this is the problem or not, but you said that you put the beads in vinegar. The solution used for etching is an acid. Vinegar is an acid, although a much weaker one than the normal. Is it possible you have done a very light etch?
I agree, this is likely what's happened. That's why it would take off the metallic in DSP too, like when I stuck beads with reduced silver on them in the etch-all. It didn't last long!

Whether or not there's a way to un-etch something I don't know, but I'm a little skeptical...

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2010-05-11, 6:20am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Maybe not. I left mine overnight in my toilet bowl solution which is 2 parts Snobol to 1 part water, and they were fine. Normally I let soak for 30min-1hour, and I fell asleep and forgot. I was worried like crazy, but relieved to see it didn't mar the finish.
Old 2010-05-11, 7:20am
Cancer SUCKS!

I can't find the right link, but try this.

http://beadnerd.com

She has a way to clean beads using pipe cleaners and a tumbler, I think.

Maybe she will come here and post a link.