Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-28, 1:19pm

Wow Paula you have been busy! Great work!
Old 2010-05-28, 3:14pm

The first time that I tried the copper black I had no trouble bringing out the copper. Tried it again-and not one bit of copper showed up. Any suggestions?
Old 2010-05-28, 6:42pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

VERY cute Paula! Never to many pictures! More, more!
Old 2010-05-28, 7:39pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Awesome work, Paula!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-05-28, 8:28pm
Remember to keep smiling

Bethany, Kristina & Sandy thank you for the comps.

Bethany I wish I could help with suggestion concerning the copper. I am in hopes my next glas order I am able to get some. Maybe someone will chime in here and help out.

Sandy I don't know how I missed your little vessel but you did a great job on it.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-29, 8:05am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
The first time that I tried the copper black I had no trouble bringing out the copper. Tried it again-and not one bit of copper showed up. Any suggestions?

Why don't you email Natasha and then tell us what she says so we know too, she always helps. I think you have to flash it with propane flame. I pulled stringers but I haven't played with mine yet.

I am working on a birthday present for my Mom. She will be 76 in July. She loves bright colors so these will hopefully become a bracelet. The transparents make such beautiful jewel-tone hollows. I dotted them with silver wire. It's the first time I have done that and I like it!

The frog was a break for comic relief! He will go to a friend who collects them.

Old 2010-05-29, 9:03am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Good Morning one and all...

First off.... Welcome back Diana... Blessings for a speedy recovery...

Wonderful beads every one... There is so much talent on this thread....

Kristina... I used the advice I gave you on how to work the reduction frit and I was all wrong, I'm sorry!!!!! Here are the beads I did... So now I would like to know how to do it too..

Bead #1.. D153- Opaque Ivory for the base with Q-Colors Iris Violet frit melted in and reduced in the blue part of a propane flame.. I got a dove grey with a iridescent under tone... It is quite a nice color but not what I was going for..
Bead #2.. D153- Opaque Ivory for the base with Moonlight Rainbow frit melted in and reduced in the blue part of a propane flame.. I got silver-black, dove grey, coppered brown and clear light ambers... Again nice colors but not what I was going for...
Both these beads will work-up into nice Spiders... lol
Attached Images

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Old 2010-05-29, 9:15am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightforge View Post
Kristina... I used the advice I gave you on how to work the reduction frit and I was all wrong, I'm sorry!!!!! Here are the beads I did... So now I would like to know how to do it too..
I made up my bead as usual on the Hothead, and then lit the propane torch and flashed it in and out of the propane flame... I didn't let it glow hot, and it produced beautiful color.

What are you using to flash with propane? Do you have a mixed torch or a Hothead?
Old 2010-05-29, 9:38am

Question: How are you'all getting those nice little roundish beads without burning the poop out of the glass? I've always been able to create nice roundish beads using gravity but of course, not with Devardi, due to it's stiffness. Are you using bead shapers?

I would TOTALLY appreciate any advise I could get with this, please..

Sandy

Old 2010-05-29, 10:01am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan239s View Post
Question: How are you'all getting those nice little roundish beads without burning the poop out of the glass? I've always been able to create nice roundish beads using gravity but of course, not with Devardi, due to it's stiffness. Are you using bead shapers?

I would TOTALLY appreciate any advise I could get with this, please..
Each one of us is doing it different, but I will tell you what I do.

IF the glass is the stiff type (some flows nicely) I use a graphite rod that I have sharpened and then blunted to press and shape the bead in the flame. Then I use a CG Bead Roller to true it up and round it well after it is molten (or glows). You can see pics below of the bead rollers and graphite rods.

And when I overheat and cause it to blister I wrap a thin clear stringer around the bead, going from left to center and then from right back left to center meeting in the middle to encase it (like this blue hollow bead below - I love this vibrant blue but I can't work it without blistering it, so encasing takes care of that!). I keep a jarful of thin clear stringers pulled and ready.

And if you don't know about graphite rods, they immediately get hot, so they must be in a protective sleeve like the drilled wood dowels shown. Graphite is a wonderful smoother, while brass grabs and moves glass more.

One other point is that I am on a Hothead without a bead kiln, so the only way I can make large beads that won't crack is to make them hollow first, then decorate. That way they cool in the Japanese Annealing Bubbles I use nicely (because they are not solid glass). Devardi is wonderful for hollows because it is stiff. I am hooked on making them! The silver dot beads above are hollows.

Hope thats helpful.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-05-29 at 1:39pm.
Old 2010-05-29, 11:00am

I found I have to know the best place in the flame for different types of glass. Just one more learning curve. Just play and experiment. But digging out the hothead to use for the copper black glass has made me appreciate my little dragon much more!
Old 2010-05-29, 6:46pm

Kristina-I have even more respect for your work! Dragging out the hothead for one more try for the copper black I realized how much work goes into your frogs and beads. I have trouble getting a round bead! Wow that is such hard work!
How many others are on a hothead?
Old 2010-05-29, 7:00pm
Remember to keep smiling

Bethany I am still on a hot head. I bought a mini cc but not able to use it till I save for a oxycon.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-29, 7:31pm

I am on a hot head also. I am waiting for my cricket to come in. I shape all of my beads with gravity alone even the devardi glass. It just takes a wee bit more patience that's all. I haven't had much time to torch, I did for a bit tonight but was playing with some reduction silver glass stringers and intense black, and got so caught up in it I totally forgot to try my copper black lol.
Paula the silver does add a nice touch doesn't it? Lovely beads I am sure that your mother will love them.

Houkje I like the blues and grays that you got out of that frit. And the coppery ones are lovely also.

Old 2010-05-29, 8:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
I made up my bead as usual on the Hothead, and then lit the propane torch and flashed it in and out of the propane flame... I didn't let it glow hot, and it produced beautiful color.

What are you using to flash with propane? Do you have a mixed torch or a Hothead?
Kristina... I am glad to hear that the advice did work for you... I think I may have burned the frits when I melted them in before I reduced them... Will have to try it again... Thanks...

I'm on a Mag torch from Devardi on a 20LB BBQ tank, with a Benzomatic propane torch on a 1LB tank...

Old 2010-05-29, 9:29pm

Sonja... Thank you... Some times we get wonderful colors by mistakes we make..

Sandy... Great vessel bead... Like the colors...
I use gravity and a stainless steal table/butter knife to get the tear drop shape.. I start with a donut shape, flatten one side with the table knife, let the fat end of the bead round up again and then hold the mandrel up and down with just the rounded-up (fat) part of the bead in the flame until it begins to move and form a nice dimple... Now hold the mandrel so that the small end of the bead is in the flame until it begins to move and form a nice dimple.. Clear as mud, right???

Bethany & Diana... To get the coppery black to react... Shape your bead with your torch of chose... Then flash in the blue part of the HH flame, being careful not to get any glow to the bead, wait a second or 2 to let the bead cool, and then flash again until you get the coppery reaction you want... Be sure to let the bead cool a second or 2 between flashes or you will lose the reaction and have to start again... Hope this helps...

Paula... Great beads... Love the worm and alligator, they are so cute... Never to many pics, always like to see your beads...

Kristina... Great chose of colors for the hollows with silver, so rich they do look like gems... And the frog, he has a look of "Can I Keep It"...

Has anyone else checked out the new color mix lots on the Devardi glass site??? I think these will be great for shading in beads... Now we can buy a LB of just the color we want in all different shades... I know I'll be getting some...

Old 2010-05-29, 9:32pm
Remember to keep smiling

Default Sooty Giraffe

Well I FRIED these. I was practicing to make the giraffes for a request from one of the BOC kids and for the life of me I can not keep yellow from smooten up. I don't know if it is because I am on a hot head or operator error...lol I try to keep it out away from the torch but so far it has been the only color I have problems with sooting. "YELLOW DOES NOT LIKE ME" When I received my glass order I was excited I had 2 rods of yellow in it. One down and one to go. I will have to hold my tongue to the left and cross my toes tomorrow when I try. If I fry those the little guy may just have to settle for a purple or green giraffe....lol

Name:  052910girraffe 027.JPG
Views: 1198
Size:  48.1 KB

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-30, 12:01am

Kristina ~ thanks for the tips on getting a roundish bead. I too am on a Hot Head still.

Paula ~ Smootie or not, your giraffes are adorable........!

Sandy

Old 2010-05-30, 10:58am
Remember to keep smiling

Sandy - lol thank you. I was so aggitated yesterday when I posted them. Now looking at them I can't believe I posted those little buggers. Hopefully after todays torching they will be more presentable. Natasha sent me a email with some really good advise.
"One, turn the Hothead way up. This draws in the maximum air and reduces carbon richness in the fuel. And secondly, make something else first so the torch can get good and hot. It burns cleaner when it is hot. Oh, one more thing, make sure your tank is not near empty. That reduces pressure and won't give you the best flame."

Thank you Natasha I will certainly give this a try. "DEVARDI ROCKS"

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-30, 12:14pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you for the kind words Bethany! You really encourage me!

Great tips Paula! I learned to wait a bit for my Hothead to settle in for the long haul when I first start becasue it wants to quit when it's at it's lowest setting. I'm glad to hear the other points, especially about turning it up for max air! And I don't see ANY fry on those adorable giraffes! Great work!

Here is the bracelet I just made from the transparent hollows. Mom likes bright jewel colors so I am hoping this will please her.

I am working on encased florals today so we shall see how they come out!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-05-31 at 3:05pm.
Old 2010-05-30, 12:44pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Here are the florals I have played at today... I am trying out what works with what... and how the different methods of encasing work too. I find encasing to be a challenge on a Hothead. I read that on a big-girl torch it is much easier!

Old 2010-05-30, 9:42pm
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina - love your bracelet I know your mom is going to love it. You are not by your self when it comes to encasing it is veryyyyyyy veryyyyyy challenging.

Here's the giraffes I made today. I tried several times could not keep the yellow from getting all sooty. So I tried the Transp yellow it worked fine went a little OP but I had him in the fire a pretty long time. The other two are transp w/transp orange dots & white body w/SOP orange, blue, red and yellow dots if you look close the yellow dots on the white giraffe turned a little sooty also.

I know I still need to PPP I think they all have one leg shorter than the others....lol

Name:  053010giraffe group1.JPG
Views: 1204
Size:  50.0 KB

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-31, 6:35am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Way to go Paula! They are darling! And I love the colors. Some people etch their beads so if you get a matt finish in spots maybe etch the entire little guy and smooth it out!

SUCH cuties! I really like the first guy!
Old 2010-05-31, 9:35am
The Grand Foobah

Great work everyone! I've got to get some pictures of the stringer work that the stiffness of Devardi makes soooooooooooooooo easy! I've also learned that certain colors DO NOT like brass presses. You press, go back to the flame and devit city. However, the beadrollers don't seem to be a problem.

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2010-05-31, 9:52am

OMG Paula..... You giraffes are awesome....

&

OMG Kristina..... I LOVE your gem bracelet! Both you ladies rock the Devardi glass!

Sandy

Old 2010-05-31, 11:38am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank You Sandy! Jump on in the glass is fine!

Jenn, thats good to know about the brass reaction. Is there a color in particular? I mainly use the graphite rollers, but I have a 1" Zoozi lentil press.
Old 2010-05-31, 1:49pm

Default How to make HOLLOW Beads ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Each one of us is doing it different, but I will tell you what I do.

IF the glass is the stiff type (some flows nicely) I use a graphite rod that I have sharpened and then blunted to press and shape the bead in the flame. Then I use a CG Bead Roller to true it up and round it well after it is molten (or glows). You can see pics below of the bead rollers and graphite rods.

And when I overheat and cause it to blister I wrap a thin clear stringer around the bead, going from left to center and then from right back left to center meeting in the middle to encase it (like this blue hollow bead below - I love this vibrant blue but I can't work it without blistering it, so encasing takes care of that!). I keep a jarful of thin clear stringers pulled and ready.

And if you don't know about graphite rods, they immediately get hot, so they must be in a protective sleeve like the drilled wood dowels shown. Graphite is a wonderful smoother, while brass grabs and moves glass more.

One other point is that I am on a Hothead without a bead kiln, so the only way I can make large beads that won't crack is to make them hollow first, then decorate. That way they cool in the Japanese Annealing Bubbles I use nicely (because they are not solid glass). Devardi is wonderful for hollows because it is stiff. I am hooked on making them! The silver dot beads above are hollows.

Hope thats helpful.

I use Devardi Glass as my only soft glass.
How , may I ask do you make your Beads HOLLOW ??

Thanks , Your Beads and glass work are the BOMB !

Thanks again and don't get burnt !

REGARDS

glassdude90

Mike R.

Last edited by glassdude90; 2010-05-31 at 1:54pm. Reason: SPELLING
Old 2010-05-31, 3:55pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default How I make Devardi Hollow Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdude90 View Post
I use Devardi Glass as my only soft glass.
How , may I ask do you make your Beads HOLLOW ??

Thanks , Your Beads and glass work are the BOMB ! Thanks again and don't get burnt ! REGARDS glassdude90 Mike R.
Hi Mike,

This is a very wordy explanation with some pictures. Others will do it differently, but this is how I have worked it out, since the glass is so stiff usually. Let me know if you have questions okay?

HOW I MAKE HOLLOWS... these are all hollow, rolled in frit and decorated with a passenger...

I will tell you that at the start I was quitting to soon and was left with wonky shapes with ridges in them - like these two below. Here's what I have learned in my brief time making them.

I start by pulling thick stringers to wrap the sides with. You must make discs to build up both sides and then bend them in toward the center and add glass until the sides meet in the middle to form the ball. I make the right-side wrap farthest away on the mandrel - at the end of the mandrel, so that when I make the one closest to my hand side, I can angle it to keep BOTH warm as I make it. It's awkward to make the second one at an angle, but you get used to it.

If you let your first side get cool as you make your second you will get shattering when you bring it back into the flame, so I try to keep them on an angle to keep both warm all the time.

After you get the sides wound to the height you want (say 1/2") and if need be, repair any pieces that go flying off when you put THAT side back in the flame, THEN I use a sharpened and blunted graphite rod in a wood base to gently press the sides in toward the center and smooth it with.

Heat while rolling and push gently until all edges are leaning in toward the middle. I have a picture below of the graphite rods I use with the dowels they are stuck in for insulation. Graphite gets instantly hot, but it smooths glass and doesn't stick to it in the flame (until it reaches the temp of the glass - so remove it from the flame as soon as you are done each time).

Once I have both sides wound on, I add more glass on the inside edges to start closing the gap, and finally I use the graphite rod to press the edges together if need be - or I close it all up with the glass stringer.

ANYWAY, after getting your edges to touch all the way around and looking for any air holes to put a dab of molten glass on to close up the hole, THEN take a breath, get patient, and slowly melt the wobbly-ridge-y mess into a nice round bead. It will go there if you melt it in the flame like a regular bead. Let it glow and smooth it with the graphite rod and gently work it in the flame with the graphite rod to shape and smooth it.

I also use a graphite bead roller to shape the ends nice and round if they are small enough. I will put a picture of the CG Bead Rollers I use below too, but you can do it with just a graphite rod, just smooth with it.

Also, once you get the hollow nice and round, let it cool slightly and then you can decorate as you like. I even carefully rake and/or twist with a stringer end to make swirls, or melt in frit and sometimes add passengers.

Hope that helps. Please ask more questions if you want another landslide of trivia from me! In case you can't tell, I was a teacher in my past life!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-01 at 1:19pm.
Old 2010-05-31, 9:10pm
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina - Great job with the hollow explanation. I also use the two disc technique but I want to get one of the mandrel with the holes and learn how to make them that way also.

Here is what I did today I love the tan color need to look up the actual name.
Name:  053110 4dog.JPG
Views: 1054
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  053110 6lion.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  23.9 KB

SRA#P109
Old 2010-06-01, 3:22am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Gosh Paula, your cuties are breaking my heart! You sure have the touch. They are so darling!

I love the browns and the tans in them and their little faces and bows! WAY to cute!

This is a landscape Tree bead I did after I gave Mike all the advice! With mixed colors on such a large hollow it is much harder to get it to round out.

I had to apply clear to the greens as I overworked them. They started to devit and go matt, which could also be a neat look, but they get brittle after they go matt unless you encase in clear. So I used one of the clear stringers I keep handy and wrapped it around the greens and melted it in really well and everything came out with the same shine.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-01 at 6:11am.
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi