AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-09-19, 3:32pm
Angie09

Default Why a hot head?

I read all the threads about a hot heads and wonder why some people use them over a dual mix torch? Are they easier for people who don't have the area for tanks and concentrators? Are they easier to use? I know they are certainly cheaper ....is that a reason? Would love to hear from the many HH users out there. Thanks!
Old 2013-09-19, 3:40pm
sunscreen me baby

My guess would be that is what they started with and for whatever reason decided not to move to something else. The idea of lighting a dual mix torch is pretty scary. I remember being very afraid the first time I lit mine. If you purchase and set everything up based on the internet one doesn't really trust it's going to be right, ya know? Well at least I didn't when I started almost 9 years ago, lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-09-19, 3:41pm

They're a good starter torch for folks to try out before investing the bigger bucks that go into the systems you are describing. HOWEVER, having said that, there are some FANTASTIC artists who love their hotheads and wouldn't switch for love or money.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-09-19, 3:45pm

I used a Hot Head for about 7 months before switching over to a Mega Minor and oxy cons. The only fuel I could get for the HHs was Mapp in the regular sized cans and our trash dump didn't recycle them. I really felt like I was polluting our environment when I tossed the empty canisters.

Boy, oh, boy was it a big switch when I made it, though! Much quieter, easier to work for extended periods of time and super fast in comparison.

That being said, I so admire everyone who still uses a Hot Head and I continue to be amazed at what they do with it!

Barbara
Old 2013-09-19, 3:45pm

I used a Hot Head for about 7 months before switching over to a Mega Minor and oxy cons. The only fuel I could get for the HHs was Mapp in the regular sized cans and our trash dump didn't recycle them. I really felt like I was polluting our environment when I tossed the empty canisters.

Boy, oh, boy was it a big switch when I made it, though! Much quieter, easier to work for extended periods of time and super fast in comparison.

That being said, I so admire everyone who still uses a Hot Head and I continue to be amazed at what they do with it!

Barbara
Old 2013-09-19, 3:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I remember being very afraid the first time I lit mine.
LOL!! I remember when I took a class at FlameTree Glass and I had been working on a HH exclusively. I had them light it for me the first few times! Now, I don't even think about it with my Scorpion.

Torch choice seems to be pretty individual. But there's nothing, except striking glass well, that you can't do on a HH. However, Pandora and Fire Lotus strike in the kiln, so HH users are able to get some color out of those. Some things are more challenging, like De making murrini and having to switch tanks in the middle, because it takes a lot of fuel to melt that much glass. I tend to work hot and fairly close, so my work is much cleaner and brighter with the dual fuel torch, but it's more about the way I work rather than the torch.

Old 2013-09-19, 4:08pm

Hot heads have a cooler, bushier flame that is pretty nice for some things.
Old 2013-09-19, 4:10pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I've used one for over 11 years now. I can make focals up to 55mm or so if I choose to and the only thing I ever have problems with is striking glass. I'm not interested in boro or sculptural work so it fits my needs just fine.

Old 2013-09-19, 6:50pm
Senior Moment

I work on a Hothead because I just don't have a working studio space for a big torch plus OxyCon/oxy tanks. No garage, and our shed is not wired. We rent, so I'm not paying big money for something I'm going to leave here. I have a Minor waiting for me in its box, and one day I'll be somewhere I can have a studio of my own. Even then, I know I'll still work on the HH.

Because I love almost everything about it! I make good sized beads with it (sometimes 1" plus), use all sorts of silver glasses - and yes, some striking glass DOES work on the HH - for example, StrikingGlass, but it takes a lot of patience to figure out the right timing and flame height (and, of course, the kiln gods must be with you that day as well LOL).

Really, my only annoyance is making things takes a lot longer because of the lower heat. But I need to learn patience anyway *grin*

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-09-19, 8:08pm
Glass-aholic

I loved my hot head! Still do, even though most times I'm on the minor. I used it for more than 10 yrs. did some of my best work on it.

Believe it or not, there are just some things you 'need' it for. Stuff that just isn't the same w/ a duel fuel. If you can become proficient on it, you will discover avenues in glass you would never have thought of on a hotter torch.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-09-19, 8:09pm
Glass-aholic

Oh and that luscious reduction.......... If is truly unmatched.

There are a bunch of glass colors that react differently between the two major torch types.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-09-19, 10:47pm
Salt Box Beads

Sometimes peoples lives nowadays are so hectic they just want it...simple. No fuss no muss, no trying to get it all dialed in, just locate the sweet spot and you're good to go.
Old 2013-09-19, 11:43pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Sometimes peoples lives nowadays are so hectic they just want it...simple. No fuss no muss, no trying to get it all dialed in, just locate the sweet spot and you're good to go.
Yep. I have both and I find my HotHead is my Zen. It is my torch of preference at times.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2013-09-20, 9:37am

I use my HH when I am at outside art shows. My hubby set up a safe setting and I demonstrate. Really brings in the people - they can't believe that you make the beads, and really get to see you do it. At home I use a minor and LOVE the increased heat and quietness.
Old 2013-09-20, 10:56am

This is kind of like asking, "Why drive a Ford when you could have a Porche?"
The Ford (HotHead for those of you who have trouble with analogies) gets me where I'm going at a reasonable cost and I can fill up the tank with regular gas.
Old 2013-09-20, 11:35am
Angie09

But I still need the same exhaust set up as I did on the mini cc, right?
Old 2013-09-20, 12:01pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Yes good ventilation is always key.

Old 2013-09-20, 1:12pm

I used a Hothead with large propane bottles for 6 years, It was what I needed and I just couldn't afford to upgrade as torches and oxycons and hoses etc are costing a lot more over here than you seem to pay. (as with everything in the glassy world actually)

Since switching to the cricket I have noticed it is quite a bit faster than the hothead...and I like that. I also like the peace and quiet, though the white noise from the hothead didn't bother me at the time.
But I have also been wondering if I could somehow set my hothead up again beside it as there are just some things that don't work the same on the cricket.

Sure I couldn't get the striking glasses hot enough to get colour out of them, but reduction glasses worked beautifully, and raku was a pretty pastel/stony look. All I am managing to do is burn poop out of them on the cricket yet!

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2013-09-20, 2:38pm
Angie09

Better reducing has peaked my interest!!! Problem is I'm really impatient!!! But for gorgeous reduced psyche (which I've never gotten to work) maybe I could learn to be patient. The HH has no hoses and needs no oxy concentrator or bottles, am I correct?
Old 2013-09-20, 2:42pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Angie, all the info you need is at www.hotheadsource.com

Old 2013-09-20, 2:43pm

You're correct. It can be as simple as attaching it to a 1 pound mapp/propane canister and the torch is ready to go.

Old 2013-09-20, 4:08pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Angie, all the info you need is at www.hotheadsource.com
Thanks Amber!!!
Old 2013-09-20, 4:26pm
Loving learning

Angie, sending you an email.
Old 2013-09-21, 6:43pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I've been on a Hothead for a year and a half, just bought a Mini CC at The Gathering. I love BOTH torches, and use both. I'm actually using the Hothead more than the MiniCC, for 2 reasons - first, there are things my Hothead does that I can't do on the MiniCC, and second, that I have to run the big torch off tanked Oxygen and it's VERY expensive! I got 8 days out of the first $60 tank of oxygen!

As for the Hothead preferences - I find that the big bushy flame makes it WAY easier to make murinni and large focals, because it's easier to keep the mass warm. I also like some of the effects I get with DH glass in the Hothead flame. What I like better about the MiniCC is knowing I won't soot up clear or white, I won't reduce blues or gold melon pink accidentally, and I can dial it down to a really fine flame when I need one. Plus, of course, the magic DH glass will do in a neutral flame.

If I could only have one? I'd stick with the Hothead, on a BBQ tank of propane. I've been happy with it for a year and a half, and never actually intended to upgrade - just got seduced by Clio & the incredible price they gave me at The Gathering.

L-111

Old 2013-09-21, 9:25pm

i have been on a hot head for 6 years. I torch on my back porch and put my set-up away at the end of the weekend. i use bulk propane. I have a minor, i have no place to set it up permanently and do not want to set it up until i have a permanent set up.

i routinely make sculptural beads on my hot head: https://www.facebook.com/Woozleslampwork?ref=hl

Some striking glass is tough, some is not.

check out this thread: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...%27you+hothead

Also, my hot head is portable and i regularly take it to shows and torch at shows.

SRA #C88

Old 2013-09-22, 12:08am
Naysayer

I used mine for 5 years and really only upgraded because in the summer my hoses were always full of crap on humid days, thus my beads were crap of course. Or actually now that I think of it, it was the tanks that were the issue, I would put cold towels on the tank and had a good couple hours until it would act up. (using a bulk tank outside obviously)

But I too did large beads, blew ornaments and bottles etc. It wasn't that slow for me, it's only limits were the striking silver glasses.

ETA, the small canisters, as mentioned, they don't recycle..mapp or the propane ones, the cost isn't worth it either, i would suggest bulk to someone thinking of a HH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
Oh and that luscious reduction.......... If is truly unmatched.

There are a bunch of glass colors that react differently between the two major torch types.
Yes this, I miss mine for that, I really should set it up, but it seems like a pita as I'd have to move & switch too many things lol.
Old 2013-09-22, 7:14am
Loving learning

Are the hoses for bulk propane tanks available at HD, welding shops, hardware store, etc?
I think I would like to get one so I could stop the small canisters.
I've also read that the low pressure regulator give more control with a bulk tank, can I find one at a hardware store, etc.?
Old 2013-09-22, 10:58am
one day at a time

There are a lot of my beads that I have not been able to make for years because I don't have access to propylene so I can use the Hothead. I've said this before and I'm saying it again - when it comes to soft glass, hotter is not always better.
Old 2013-09-22, 12:41pm

Eileen, i bought my hose from the hardware store, same thing you would use for a gas grill. i have a low pressure regulator but have not tried it. i think i need a fitting for it.

SRA #C88

Old 2013-09-22, 3:00pm
Loving learning

Thank you Vicki, I will stop by Ace & see if they have them.