Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-12, 3:24pm
jamieincharlotte

Default Why isn't there a transparent 104 pink. I can't find one.

Can anyone tell me a really good transparent 104 pink? Not a watery one but a rich hot pink. I'd also love to find a great opaque bubble gum pink or hot pink - not a sickly pale pink.

thanks,
jamie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-12, 3:34pm
I fart diamonds

Good luck with that, lol.

Seriously, the only hot 104 pink is Rubino. (I think). Well, Czech Tourmaline is nice, but you can't get it. CIM has some nice opaque 104 pinks. Wait! CIM also has a transparent hot pink. Cranberry.

Old 2013-03-12, 3:37pm
jamieincharlotte

I have the cranberry. Not really a hot pink but ok. Why isn't one around for us 104 peeps?

Old 2013-03-12, 3:51pm
Queen Bee

Although, Reichenbach has a beautiful 104 pink transparent called pink lady. I'ts luscious!

http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=121&pID=1778

Or, walk on the wild side and try Bullseye They have the most gorgeous pinks!!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-03-12, 5:09pm
jamieincharlotte

Is Bullseye a special glass or different coe? I've heard of it but don't know anything about it. I'll also check out the pink lady...sounds promising.

Old 2013-03-12, 5:29pm

BE is coe 90. Stiffer glass. But I love it. Thats what I use. The pinks are awesome.
Janet
Old 2013-03-12, 5:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Clio over striking orange.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2013-03-12, 5:31pm
Salt Box Beads

BE is a high quality 90 coe made here in the USA. Love it! Most pinks are made with gold, we lost a lost of pinks when the price of gold sky rocketed.
Old 2013-03-12, 5:36pm
jamieincharlotte

So is the annealing temperature different that 104? Oh yeah, I forgot about the clio over striking orange. I even have a tutorial for that somewhere.

Old 2013-03-12, 5:42pm
jamieincharlotte

Janet, is using the BE just like the 104 glass except for being more stiff. Does it take longer to melt a rod and am wondering if the annealing schedule is different. I'm afraid of my kiln...if my cycle gets off for some reason I have to call the kiln guys who made it to fix it for me by phone. I'm useless when it comes to that thing. All I know how to do really is open the door. ;0 They are great and never complain. Jen-Ken by the way.

Old 2013-03-12, 8:10pm

900 for Bullseye

Barbara
Old 2013-03-13, 6:43am
Queen Bee

Hmmm, I've always annealed my Bullseye right along with my 104 and not had a problem. Is there a real difference doing it at 900?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-03-13, 7:15am
I fart diamonds

BE uses the same annealing cycle as 104. (So do the 96COE glasses)

Old 2013-03-13, 10:26am
jamieincharlotte

Really...I anneal at 920 so I'm good?? Didn't know BE was pretty much the same. Do you think 920 is too hot? Why haven't I heard of using BE before for the luscious colors? Is there a good hot pink in this glass that you like? And do you like it better than moretti. So many questions, sorry. Any downside to it?
thanks,
jamie

Old 2013-03-13, 1:49pm

I am mainly a fuser, and Bullseye has recommended 900 DF as their annealing temperature for quite a few years so that is what I use when I do beads with 90 COE.

IF I batch anneal and have Effetre and Bullseye beads mixed in the kiln, I'll shotgun through the two temperatures - 925 hold 45 minutes, drop down to 900 and hold another 45 minutes.

Bullseye is much more expensive than Effetre (I think), but I have so much scrap glass that I can use that for the beads. It's pretty, a bit stiffer, produces beads that you cannot etch with regular etching cream (tough, tough glass), and has some good reactive colors.

Barbara
Old 2013-03-13, 3:18pm

can anyone tell me of good pinks which aren't high in lead content?
Old 2013-03-13, 5:22pm
Echo's Mother

Bullseye glass is all lead free. Google bullseye glass. To look at rod colors, you will find it under accessory glass. Figure out what color you want, then go shopping for the best price from the glass retailers. There is one that is called magenta (or fuchsia) that is very pretty. I would not recommend buying any glass that has lead in it. Most of what is manufactured today is lead free. Just be warned that the pretty pinks contain gold, and are pricier than most other colors.
Old 2013-03-13, 5:45pm

Wow...even when I fuse I anneal at 960. All glasses from bullseye, effetre and system 96.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
I am mainly a fuser, and Bullseye has recommended 900 DF as their annealing temperature for quite a few years so that is what I use when I do beads with 90 COE.

IF I batch anneal and have Effetre and Bullseye beads mixed in the kiln, I'll shotgun through the two temperatures - 925 hold 45 minutes, drop down to 900 and hold another 45 minutes.

Bullseye is much more expensive than Effetre (I think), but I have so much scrap glass that I can use that for the beads. It's pretty, a bit stiffer, produces beads that you cannot etch with regular etching cream (tough, tough glass), and has some good reactive colors.

Old 2013-03-14, 7:29am

Lauscha had a gorgeous transparent pink. And their glass is all lead free.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2013-03-14, 9:14am
I'm meeeeelting

Gelly's Sty for opaque bubble gum pink.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-03-14, 3:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendebrock View Post
Bullseye glass is all lead free. Google bullseye glass. To look at rod colors, you will find it under accessory glass. Figure out what color you want, then go shopping for the best price from the glass retailers. There is one that is called magenta (or fuchsia) that is very pretty. I would not recommend buying any glass that has lead in it. Most of what is manufactured today is lead free. Just be warned that the pretty pinks contain gold, and are pricier than most other colors.
Hi, follow this link
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods...ity-chart.html

It's lovely glass, but quite a lot contain lead.
Old 2013-03-14, 5:19pm
randomly active member

Reichenbach 104 Mystic Pink makes a nice bubblegum color, but it is not completely opaque - it is slighly translucent with a pearly type finish but works up mostly opaque when you layer it thick and work it longer. If you are using it for dots and simple spacers I would not consider it opaque enough, but it is still a very pretty bubblegum pink.
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=121&pID=1772

Valentine by beadbijoux, on Flickr

I also second Reichenbach 104 Fuchsia for a nice transparent pink. It is not quite as dense as rubino so it will make a beautiful pink spacer, but if you layer it thick enough it still goes pretty dark. Here's an example of fuchsia. The spacers are still light enough and make a pretty pink, but the nuggets were a bit dense and got dark. A thin core of clear would have kept the pink much lighter like the spacer color.

Jewels by beadbijoux, on Flickr

As far as Bullseye, most of their pinks and purples do contain lead as stated in their glass worksheets. I have always annealed my bullseye glass at 960 as that was the recommendation when I started fusing 8 years ago, but they recently (2009) switched their recommendation to 900 as stated in this article:
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods...eye-glass.html

I admittedly have not reprogrammed my kiln and still anneal at 960 but my kiln also runs cool so it is probably closer to 945.
.:.

Old 2013-03-15, 11:24am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

There are as many shades of transparent pink as there are blades of grass. Which one are you looking for? Here's Blush, which no one has mentioned yet.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-03-15, 5:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamief03 View Post
Janet, is using the BE just like the 104 glass except for being more stiff. Does it take longer to melt a rod and am wondering if the annealing schedule is different. I'm afraid of my kiln...if my cycle gets off for some reason I have to call the kiln guys who made it to fix it for me by phone. I'm useless when it comes to that thing. All I know how to do really is open the door. ;0 They are great and never complain. Jen-Ken by the way.
Sorry just noticed this. Been off computer for a few days.
I prefer BE, myself cause thats what I started with. To me its not harder to work with. I anneal it at 960. Its easy to melt for me. But remember I'm use to it and this was the first glass I ever used.
I'm just starting to use 104 glass,also. And find it harder to work with. But all glass is a learning tool.
Janet

Last edited by Janetlee; 2013-03-15 at 7:41pm. Reason: typo fixed
Old 2013-03-15, 6:00pm
Lampworkaholic!

Veiled Rubino. Gorgeous bright pink slightly wispy transparent 104.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-03-15, 6:40pm
Angie09

BE Light Fuchsia .... Stunning pink every time. The pinks and purples of BE got me interested in their glass and love the consistency of their colors. I really don't notice any difference in working with it verses 104 and I anneal everything (except boro) at 920. Trust me .... You'll love their bright colors. Plus they have 1mm stringers!

If you pm me your address, I'll send you some fuchsia and gold purple.
Old 2013-03-16, 12:50am
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
There are as many shades of transparent pink as there are blades of grass. Which one are you looking for? Here's Blush, which no one has mentioned yet.
I love blush and I'm not a pink person!
Old 2013-03-16, 8:29am
jamieincharlotte

Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions. By just asking this question I have learned that I now can use BE glass and also coe96. I didn't have a clue about those glasses. That opens up a whole new area for me to explore. I will try the clio over orange and check into the other suggestions you guys offered. I guess I'm looking for more of a transparent shocking pink. I know what I'm looking for in my head but don't actually have a name for it. Thanks again....appreciate the help.

Old 2013-03-18, 8:14am

Just remember not to mix your COEs ... and I'm only saying that because no one else did. Keep everything labeled (I use Painty markers on the ends of my glass if I don't have time to label it ... red for 96, for example).

There are so many pretty 104s these days with more companies making 104, like Reichenbach. Try mixing your own, too, and building layered (veiled) canes.
Old 2013-03-18, 1:54pm
jamieincharlotte

thanks Nolly, will do.