Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-20, 1:43pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Default Looking for a real black that doesn't bleed?

I'm pretty sure that most lampworkers are looking for that simple thing that seems impossible to find. Like a good, well priced clear. And how about an intense, real black that doesn't bleed?

Well, I don't have the answer on the clear, but I have found my perfect black!

I have found that even hairthin stringers of this black are black and when heated like crazy, it doesn't fade or bleed. And the winner is...

REICHENBACH DEEP BLACK 9203

Really, really worth the try! I have quite some beads waiting to be photographed with stringerwork with this color. As soon as I have some pics, I will post them.

Good luck and have fun with it, be sure to post your results pleazzzz !

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-20, 1:45pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Oh wait, I found a recent one with some very thin stringers of this color. Better ones coming up soon!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-07-20, 1:48pm
Tonbodama Murrini maker

I use Thompson and Plowen and up till now I have not came a cross anything that is better.

My stringers are under hair thin in some cases and they are still crisp clean and black.

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2011-07-20, 1:52pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Isn't that a different COE Chrissy or am I mistaken? The Reichenbach is coe 104 and honestly, I don't see much difference in results (no offence, the beads sure are pretty and the black is indeed black).

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-07-20, 2:26pm
Tonbodama Murrini maker

yes Thompson and Plowden is coe 93 but in hair fine stringers and even placing dots it is not an issue. All the black on the beads above is from Thompson & Plowden.

You may not see a difference in the pictues. But you sure see a difference in person.

Also Reichenbach black is not a consistant color. Often the batches both in furnace glass as well as coe 104 are very boily and pitting. Even in the most outer part of the flame.

Thompson & plowden on the other hand is very consistant in quality and I never ever had a rod that was boily, shocky or pitting.

It is great that it works for you, I just wanted to give my opinion.

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2011-07-20, 2:35pm
Gimme that silver glass!

It's very good to know Chrissy and a valuable contribution to this thread, so thank you for the extra information!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-07-20, 9:33pm
Unmedicated since '62

ive been trying to buy it for a while - its just not available

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-07-21, 8:12pm

I've also been wanting to try the Reichenbach Deep Black for use in murrini made with striking silver glass colors that need to be super heated to strike. The only place I can find it is OCR and you have to buy a 1/4 kilo bundle, almost a half pound. The glass itself is not that expensive at $13.18 per 1/4kg, but I'm sure shipping isn't cheap and that's the only thing I would want to order. I guess I could just sell it in the garage if I don't like it.

Anouk, have you used it in your murrini successfully?
Old 2011-07-22, 11:57am

I totally agree, RB 9203 is the best black I have ever worked with. Even gravity swirls stay black.

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2011-07-22, 12:35pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennilee View Post
I've also been wanting to try the Reichenbach Deep Black for use in murrini made with striking silver glass colors that need to be super heated to strike. The only place I can find it is OCR and you have to buy a 1/4 kilo bundle, almost a half pound. The glass itself is not that expensive at $13.18 per 1/4kg, but I'm sure shipping isn't cheap and that's the only thing I would want to order. I guess I could just sell it in the garage if I don't like it.

Yes I have Jennifer, also in a striking murrini and it worked like a charm .

I must say, I have had several good batches, I don't have the pitting and boiling experience that Chrissy mentioned. But of course one never knows...

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-07-22, 1:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennilee View Post

You'd rather pay upwards of $15 per oz. plus shipping for a small bag of frit or powder then pay $30-$35 total for a 1/2 pound or so? I have always bought my color in pound or kilo increments.
Old 2011-07-23, 6:33am
Formerly FishBulb

I had pitting and boiling with the regular Reich black, but I haven't tried the deep black. I'll be getting some the next time I order more glass though.

Donna Milliron at Arrow Springs has developed a bleed-free black. You could always check there if you want to try her black glass.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-07-23, 7:14am
Burnt Wood Beads

I just got some Deep Black a week ago, and it's AWESOME!!! Love it!!

Old 2011-07-23, 7:37am
Fire Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Donna Milliron at Arrow Springs has developed a bleed-free black. You could always check there if you want to try her black glass.
I tried this and it's awesome for stringers. I think she calls it Black Diamond.

Old 2011-07-23, 2:41pm

I ordered some of Donna's Black Diamond and it should be here today or Monday. I also ordered some Deep Black from OCR. I'm really looking forward to trying them both and hoping for good results as many of you have had.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Old 2011-07-23, 6:44pm

Wish I had remembered this when I placed my last order... Now my mind is trying to find excuses for another order to OCR!

Old 2011-07-23, 7:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtjab View Post
I just got some Deep Black a week ago, and it's AWESOME!!! Love it!!
Julie - Did you overcome your OCR aversion or did you order it from somewhere else? I took your advice on the Deep Black and ordered some, myself. I've been working with it for a couple of weeks and it's AMAZING! Amazing.

Old 2011-07-23, 7:50pm
Burnt Wood Beads

haha! ya Julie, I had to muddle through their website! It's just not easy for me to use for some reason. But I got the deep black and some others. Was soooo worth it!

Old 2011-07-23, 8:53pm

Absolutely THE best dense black. I recommend it in my tiger tutorial and it is all I use now. I was using Hades, but the Deep Black is even better.