No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-22, 11:03am
can't stop the signal

Default lampwork blowing tutorial

In another thread someone mentioned Carlos Dona's tools and I googled and found pix of his flameworking blowpipes and wonder if there's some instructional thread

judy
www.pbase.com/magpiejst
Old 2005-07-22, 12:32pm

Oh yes that would be wonderful!
Old 2005-07-22, 2:22pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Might check with these people over here....

http://talk.craftweb.com/index.php?s=

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-07-22, 2:43pm
Fire Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiejst
In another thread someone mentioned Carlos Dona's tools and I googled and found pix of his flameworking blowpipes and wonder if there's some instructional thread

judy
www.pbase.com/magpiejst
You use the small blowpipe just like a stainless steel tube mandrel. Just make a blob on the end and heat it--blow---shape--etc.

Old 2005-07-25, 6:22pm
Cats & Glass!

I learned to use one of these in Italy a couple of weeks ago. These pipes are generally used for blowing goblet bowls and bases. I'll see if I can work up a tutorial. I CAN tell you now that they are not used in the same way as 1/4" stainless steel tubes are for blowing small objects. You don't use bead release with them and you generally create a "punty" for transferring the blown object off of the pipe so that you can work the opening of the bubble you've blown.

Janelle

Edited to say that I suppose you can use them like the 1/4 stainless tubes but that isn't what they're made for.

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2005-08-03, 7:16am
Fire Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle Zorko
I learned to use one of these in Italy a couple of weeks ago. These pipes are generally used for blowing goblet bowls and bases. I'll see if I can work up a tutorial. I CAN tell you now that they are not used in the same way as 1/4" stainless steel tubes are for blowing small objects. You don't use bead release with them and you generally create a "punty" for transferring the blown object off of the pipe so that you can work the opening of the bubble you've blown.

Janelle

Edited to say that I suppose you can use them like the 1/4 stainless tubes but that isn't what they're made for.
Don't you have to create a punty if you are blowing on a tube too? I blow seashells using a tube or the Italian Pipe depending upon my mood. I have never used bead release when I blow an object....hmmmm... I musta missed something.

Old 2005-09-14, 11:47am

This is an old thread, but I wanted to know where one would buy one of these small blow pipes or similar stainless steel tube?

thanks

Robert
Old 2005-09-15, 7:24am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Splain to me = if there is no bead release, how does the glass come off the pipe????

Old 2005-09-15, 7:55am
Safety ALWAYS

Cold seal, heat shock it and it pops right off. This is the way traditional glassblowing is done, except on a smaller scale.

The glass does stick to the tube, but once the work is off the tube, you either let it stand in a bucket to catch the flying glass that pops off as it cools, or put it in a water bucket to heat shock the glass off.

There will always be some glass remaining on the tube, but this is nothing to worry about.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2011-01-29, 6:01pm
K*BakerOfGlass

Default Blow Tubes....How to Mster - No info I can find

i just took a class from Loren Stump and one of the things he teaches is Blow Tube sift glass........does anyone know where I can get more information on how to use the blow tube????
Old 2011-01-29, 6:11pm
honorary bead lady

Search feature
Blown Vessel
Old 2011-01-29, 6:30pm
Glass-aholic

I have a tutorial on my blog It does not use this exact blow pipe, but it uses hollow mandrels. You can tweek it to your needs.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: