LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2019-07-21, 1:25pm

Default How long will a new oxygen generator live with regular use.

I know there are some variables (like changing filters, etc...), but with average care, how long should I expect it to live??? Anybody have any experience with that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2019-07-21, 3:13pm
Phill

I would guess 15 or 20 years or more with the way we lampworkers use them.

I think the things are built like a tank because when they are in use in a medical situation they need to be reliable enough to run 24 / 7 / 365 possibly for many years.

The mechanics behind then is pretty simple and the only real issue could be the plastic tubing on the inside getting brittle and cracking as they get old ( I'm guessing around 5 years old they might start to deteriorate and possibly get gummy or brittle) but if the tubing is not touched it should hold for decades.

But the tubing inside is easily replaced with tubing from the local hardware store.

Basically they are an oil free air compressor that feeds into two canisters alternately that contain a granular material called zeolite that absorbs nitrogen when it is pressurized leaving the oxygen free to be piped off to be used by the patient then the nitrogen is dumped out.

So nothing really gets used up although somethings can wear out after 5 or 6 years of constant use 24/7/365

For lampwork the biggest problem would be dust getting to the zeolite so you want to run them in air conditioned rooms if you can.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2019-07-21 at 3:22pm.
Old 2019-07-21, 5:16pm

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I purchased mine from Wales in 1/2008. I wasn't religious about changing the filter, so my bad. I have a replacement, but my husband is looking into reburbishing the old one.

Old 2019-07-26, 2:11pm

Sorry this is just not true in multiple ways. Ill PM you with more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
I would guess 15 or 20 years or more with the way we lampworkers use them.

I think the things are built like a tank because when they are in use in a medical situation they need to be reliable enough to run 24 / 7 / 365 possibly for many years.

The mechanics behind then is pretty simple and the only real issue could be the plastic tubing on the inside getting brittle and cracking as they get old ( I'm guessing around 5 years old they might start to deteriorate and possibly get gummy or brittle) but if the tubing is not touched it should hold for decades.

But the tubing inside is easily replaced with tubing from the local hardware store.

Basically they are an oil free air compressor that feeds into two canisters alternately that contain a granular material called zeolite that absorbs nitrogen when it is pressurized leaving the oxygen free to be piped off to be used by the patient then the nitrogen is dumped out.

So nothing really gets used up although somethings can wear out after 5 or 6 years of constant use 24/7/365

For lampwork the biggest problem would be dust getting to the zeolite so you want to run them in air conditioned rooms if you can.
Old 2019-07-26, 4:01pm
Phill

Larry, I am up for correction and instruction on where i have got it wrong and someone sometime will be looking for this kind of information so it would be a help to post your knowledge here.

l am always willing to concede to those with more knowledge and experience than myself.
Old 2019-07-27, 3:04pm
Dix Harrison

Concentrator Gary, my local concentrator repair guy, and highly-respected guru, says much depends upon whether the unit is brand new or refurbished. If your concentrator guts have been “adjusted” to “boost” the lpm, that can also affect the lifespan.

The last oxycon I bought from Gary only had 900 actual hours on it. He does not boost his machines.

He told me, with much confidence in his voice, that I would die before the concentrator did.