Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Old 2007-05-26, 3:20pm

Default Please help, ? attaching hoses to Mini CC!

Hi, I am trying to attach the propane/oxy hoses to the Mini CC torch ends. Am I supposed to get the ends of the hoses past the barbs up onto the next part closest to the torch?
I can only get them about 1/4" onto that part, past the barbs. Is that enough? I simply can not get them further.

If so, any tips to get them further up the ends? Besides having stronger muscles that is?
So close, but yet so far.....
Angela
Old 2007-05-26, 3:28pm

As long as the hose clamp has something to squeese on it's ok.
I always put a little spit on the end of the hose and on the barb.
Do NOT use any kind of oil as this will blow you up.
G.
Old 2007-05-26, 3:44pm

Quote:
G.L.McBead;1186804]As long as the hose clamp has something to squeese on it's ok.
Whew. That's good. I put the clamps on the top barbs so there is about 1/4 inch" hose above that.
Quote:
I always put a little spit on the end of the hose and on the barb.
I tried soapy water. Wait! It's the "green" kind. No petroluem products in it. Didn't think of spit. LOL! .

Quote:
Do NOT use any kind of oil as this will blow you up.
Oh, thanks! Just what I wanted to hear. I'm already a nervous wreck 'cause I'm so paranoid about safety.

Thanks for the quick response! It's much appreciatied! You know how it is when one finally gets a new torch. It's such a huge thing.
Angela
Old 2007-05-26, 4:10pm

Sorry but oil is a very bad thing with oxy.
Don't be nervous just careful.
Everything is real safe with this.
G.
Old 2007-05-26, 4:13pm

PS,
You are going to Love the Mini cc.
G.
Old 2007-05-27, 6:54am

HI G. I know I will love the Mini CC too! Not sure about the learning curve, but however big it is, it's worth it.
Got one last question,... well maybe not.
Anyway, do you know what is the right tool for adjusting the nut that allows one to adjust the angle of the torch?
I've tried a couple wrenches but it's tough to get in there and I am afraid if it isn't tight, it could leak.
Thanks a bunch,
Angela
Old 2007-05-27, 9:33am

Nothing can leak out of that nut.It only holds the torch to the stand.
Just hold the nut with your fingers and turn the torch a little to tighten.
G.
Old 2007-05-27, 4:51pm

Oh! Well! That sure makes sense now that I actually took it all the way off and looked at it. LOL!

I was confused (and still am) by something I read on the Carlisle site for the Mini CC.

Here is what it says: The control valve stems are threaded and secured to the valve body via a nut. Depending on how tightly this nut is threaded down on the valve body, the stainless steel stem will be harder or easier to turn.

If the nut is tightly threaded down onto the valve body, the stem will have more resistance to movement. By loosening this nut the stem will become easier to adjust. Loosing the nut can also cause a leak to form around the stem from the nut sealing area. Be sure to cheak for leaks anytime this nut is adjusted.

Do you have any idea what that means? I don't. Again showing my ignorance clear as day.

BTW, You are so right. I am in awe and in love with this new torch! I finally made my first bead. I have to admit it was totally up for grabs what kind of bead I was making 'cause the glass melts so fast!
I'm adjusting though and loving it. I still can't do what I always want but it's just such a pleasure. And it's quiet!!! I feel so much more relaxed.

And now what I read in the books, like Passing the Flame on how to do something, it actually applies. Woohoo!
Angela
Old 2007-05-28, 9:48am

They are talking about the nut that is below the knob.
Don't worry they don't have to be super tite and they test each torch at the factory.If your knobs turn to easy just titen the nut a little.
G.
Old 2007-05-28, 2:05pm

G.,
Oh now I get it!
I bought my torch used on E-Bay from an individual who has not sold much, so I wanted to be sure I was covering all my bases.
Thanks so much for the information and much needed reassurance.
Angela
Old 2007-05-29, 4:06am

Angela,

I hope you love your mini-c.c. I actually just set mine up this week, also.
There is definitely a learning curve, but oh how I value the quiet running of it!
Safety was a huge thing for me too but, now I am more at ease the more I use it, I don't feel as if everything is gonna blow as soon as I turn it on, anymore.lol The one thing for me is learning how to get the right neutral flame, and making those subtle adjustments. Have you melted any glass off of the mandrel yet? I don't believe my old H.H. ever truly got the glass quite that hot, so you can imagine my suprise when it happened on the first bead I made.
Best of luck to you.
Ron
Old 2007-08-14, 11:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Angela,

I hope you love your mini-c.c. I actually just set mine up this week, also.
There is definitely a learning curve, but oh how I value the quiet running of it!
Safety was a huge thing for me too but, now I am more at ease the more I use it, I don't feel as if everything is gonna blow as soon as I turn it on, anymore.lol The one thing for me is learning how to get the right neutral flame, and making those subtle adjustments. Have you melted any glass off of the mandrel yet? I don't believe my old H.H. ever truly got the glass quite that hot, so you can imagine my suprise when it happened on the first bead I made.
Best of luck to you.
Ron
Ron, Somehow I missed your post back when you wrote it. I must have been totally wrapped up with the Mini. LOL!
I felt and sometimes still get nervous when I light the torch for the first time after being away from it for a few days.
And Yes I just love the quietness. One of the main reasons I looked forward to the change.
I do love it. I am sure I could melt the glass right off the mandrel. LOL! Getting the neutral flame was difficult. I ran an oxidizing flame for the longest time until someone enlightened me.
Hope you are having as much fun as I am. I am so addicted to it, I'm not getting anything else done.
Take Care,
Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-08-16, 10:14am
William Hagy

FYI you can adjust the torch position by loosening the nut at the base of the stand (torch head to flat metal) this will allow you to pivot the torch to where you like it

~Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2007-08-17, 8:35pm

Thank you William, being able adjust the angle is a wonderful feature! I angled it a bit to the right and up so I am not ruining my neck by looking down. I did that with the HH and am still paying for it.
I still have not checked the nuts under the knobs. I need to look for these and make sure they are tight. But I guess that everything is OK, since I'm still here to write about it.
I think I'm supposed to clean it. No carbon on my beads yet but figure it's routine maintanance?
Also how do people check for leaks if they don't have a high pressure hose to run it on under water? Aside from using windex on all the connections looking for bubbles I haven't done any other tests.