Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2005-10-19, 1:46pm
אהבה אני ישו

Exclamation Decision Making Time - New Torch - Opinions Please

Hi All,

I have been considering buying a new torch and now is decision time. What I have now is a Minor running on 2 AirSep concentrators. My torch works OK on the concentrators, but I can only acheive a small/moderate flame. I make large beads and I really need(want) a torch with a larger, bushier flame. In my opinion, the flame produced by the Minor is narrow. I don't any experience with any other torches, so this is an opinion comes from photos of flames from other torches.

One other factor for me is price. I need to stay in the Minor price range - around $200.

So, with a little research, it seems that the Mini CC would be a good choice. From what I am told the flame is wider/bushier and that it runs well/hot on 2 concentrators.

Any opinions on this or any other torch that I could run with the 2 concentrators. (can't go with tanked oxy)

Thanks in advance for your input!

Believer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2005-10-19, 1:54pm

I don't really think you can go wrong with either torch.

When it all comes down to it, they all are torches that get hot and melt glass.

What ever torch you get you will have to learn the ins and outs of that torch and adapt your working style to the torch. Don't try and buy a torch to adapt it to your working style.
Old 2005-10-19, 2:24pm
The Crazy One

I finally have my mini cc off tanked O2 on 2 concentrators. After a hose adjustment (I shortened the O2 hose) I am loving it. I did move from the minor to the mini cc and I make big beads as well. It would be nice if it was a bit hotter (like it was on tanked) because I like it hot hot hot! But I am really likeing it now. Definatly a bushier flame, big enough to keep a triple 2 1/2 + inch hollow warm enough.

If I had to do it all over again I would have looked at the Piranha (spelling may be wrong) as I here they will run on less O2 and have a bushy flame. By looked I mean I would want to use it.
Old 2005-10-19, 2:40pm
Cheerfully Profane

I'm at the same stage. I like to make really long beads. My longest so far is just over 4 inches. I wanna go longer!! On a minor and one concentrator right now, but only cause I haven't gotten around to hooking up the second one.

Rebekah
Old 2005-10-19, 3:49pm
אהבה אני ישו

Anyone run a Piranha on two concentrators? What kind of flame does this torch have? - narrow? wide?

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2005-10-19, 6:48pm
<--- Time traveler

The Piranha doesn't have a bushy flame - it has a very narrow, extremely hot, focused flame.

Courtney