LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-01-07, 9:49am

Default Fireworks torch

Hi everyone!

I purchased a fireworks torch a few weeks ago (new lampworker here), and was wondering if anyone has experience with it...your opinions of it...and also those who've gone to using other torches afterwards (even hothead torches - which I wd have purchased had I known where at the time).

Thanks,
Susan.
Old 2006-01-07, 10:35am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy
Hi everyone!

I purchased a fireworks torch a few weeks ago (new lampworker here), and was wondering if anyone has experience with it...your opinions of it...and also those who've gone to using other torches afterwards (even hothead torches - which I wd have purchased had I known where at the time).

Thanks,
Susan.
It's longevity may be quite a bit shorter than a Hothead...

The igniters are know to fail after a few weeks or months... If they get dirty or gunk up there are not able to be disassembled for cleaning... And I don't think they are as hot as a hothead....

Probably best move would be to make enough beads to sell and make enough $$$ to purchase fuel/oxygen torch and move up from Fireworks as soon as possible...

But then there are some people who have had good luck with them....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-01-07, 11:16am
Student of DachZen

I've used one - ONCE. I didn't care for it at all personally - it sputtered and wasn't very even on the flame - it also sooted up the glass pretty badly. It could have been dirty, though, I guess.

I do, however, love my HotHead torch. I can make pretty much anything in softglass on a HH - beads up to an inch and a half or so in diameter, vessels, etc. I've even done a tiny bit of boro on it - but you sure need patience for that!

If money is an issue, the HH is probably your best value. You can do a lot on a HH. If money is not an issue, then Dale's right, go for something nicer! I'm planning on getting one of the new Bettas later this year.

Good luck!
Teresa
Old 2006-01-07, 6:40pm

Thanks for the input Dale, Teresa. My poor mangy little torch! I knew something was wrong when I couldn't get the entire bead (exception of spacer beads) hot enough to roll on my marver (wanted to make some bicones). Wish I had asked these questions beforehand. *sigh*...live and learn.
Old 2006-01-07, 6:42pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I teached at a stained glass store with those torches and I HATED them. (I did'nt had a word to say about the equipment!! The owner was the cheapest guy in the world and had them for cheap so... ) Even me had trouble making an acceptable bead!!!
Get a HotHead.

Old 2006-01-08, 3:55pm
Insane? You're Insane!

I had one for about six months, it died. I went to Lowes and bought their cheapest torch, it worked better. I just got a Minor. I am in love! I begged and pleded for it for christmas, it worked! I thought I was doing just fine with my fireworks too! I am very thankful that I learned the technics on the fireworks, it's slower so you can really practice. If you buy an oxy/pro torch it is much hotter and sooooo much faster. I think if you're just starting out you can learn alot from the fireworks. If you are a fast learner, you better start saving your pennies.
amber
Old 2006-01-08, 5:29pm
Eight Miles Wide

i had one, and hated it. i use MAPP gas, and the flameworks torch wouldn't suck up any gas after the cannister was half gone. now that i have a hothead, i have gone back to the cannisters that i thought were empty, and have been able to use them for another 8-12 beads...

Old 2006-01-08, 9:06pm
Fight glass with FIRE

I was taught by Sharlee22 with the fireworks torch since that was all the owner of the store had (and yes that guy was a cheap bastard) and I weld and cut metal with gas equipement all the time and fell out of my chair when I saw how weak the fireworks torch was at melting glass. I bought some hot heads for sale at our company and was amazed at how different the hot head actually was and found it was 1000 times better then the fireworks torch.

If you don't have the $$$$ for a oxy-gas torch the hot head is the best choice for gas only.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2006-01-09, 7:40am

The Hothead and Fireworks torch have a LONG cone in the flame that is about 2 1/2 inches long. Place your glass right at the tip of the cone and it will melt a lot faster. These are great little torches for "testing the waters" to see if the glass bug will run away with your heart. Everyone above had great comments...... this is just the first stepping stone leading to bigger and better torches in your future.
Enjoy.
Ron Jr.
Old 2006-01-21, 9:21pm

Alright...I've started using my torch again, and it's not as bad as I initially thought. Although it doesn't melt glass fast enough for impatient me - it does a decent job with the rods that I have; no discoloration or scumming of glass (aside from Moretti Clear - which everyone seems to have a problem with regardless of torch type). It'll definitely work out for small to mid-sized practice beads, until I make the move towards an oxy/propane torch.

Last edited by schoy; 2006-01-21 at 10:02pm.
Old 2006-01-23, 6:51am
Crunchy ol' Momma

I used a Fireworks torch for about 6 or 7 months and then took a break from lampworking. I just thought that it was frustrating because I had lots of problems with scumming. Almost every bead I made had some sort of defect from the torch.

I was lucky enough to find someone here selling their entire studio (torch, kiln, glass - the works) and got my Bobcat that way. I am in lampworking love now.

The Fireworks is a great torch if you just want to try and see if you'll like the whole lampworking adventure, but other than that, I hate it. BTW - does anyone need a Fireworks torch? I have one laying around here somewhere ... LOL!
Old 2006-01-23, 7:04am

I tried one as my first torch of my very own. the starter died the first day. The replacement torch I was sent had its starter die on day 8. The flame was uneven, it sputtered. It sooted up, it couldn't be cleaned... The flame got progressively less effective- not that it was very effective to begin with. All in all I'd say between a fireworks and a bic lighter buy the bic lighter it'll probably work faster, cleaner and with fewwer malfunctions... Have to say I hate the things. I did see a HH for sale in the garage sale at a great price. I'd go see if I could get it were I you. They are a good stop gap and even after my big torch there are still things I like the HH for.

A.
Old 2006-01-23, 10:27am
Floral Obsessed

I had to use a Firewerks for 2 years. It was the only one available here in Winnipeg at first. It died just before the first year was over and when I told the glass shop I'd bought it from they replaced it for free... with another Firewerks. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I continued with it until I got my new studio set up in my house. I've never used a HH so I can't compare, but I know there are some major differences (and even some good things about the FW!)

On the new hotheads, you can't turn the flame down. This is especially a problem when you're on the 1lb tanks (as anyone who works in an apartment would be). On a FW, you can conserve your gas a lot better and work coolly when you're applying stringer, etc.

The HH doesn't have a reducing window; you need to make a tinfoil sleeve. FW is really easy to set to reduce. Make sure the window's open for your normal work, otherwise you WILL get a lot of sooting and your torch will die much faster!

This is what I tell students when I teach them at our local glass studio (on FW torches, of course - the shopkeeper says he'd have to charge twice as much for HH torches). If they were available, I would recommend HHs more because everyone says they're so much hotter and sturdier. You can do a lot with a FW, though - don't be discouraged! You've already got a FW torch now, so I don't think you need to buy a HH unless your FW dies and you know you want to stay with a gas-only full-pressure torch - otherwise I'd say just save the HH $ to use for a oxy-fuel torch sometime in the future. If you're using the 1lb tanks, finding a way to warm the tanks gently while you work will make you much happier, as well. Good luck! -Heather

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2006-01-23 at 10:31am.
Old 2006-01-24, 4:53pm

Default reducing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather/Ericaceae

The HH doesn't have a reducing window; you need to make a tinfoil sleeve. FW is really easy to set to reduce. Make sure the window's open for your normal work, otherwise you WILL get a lot of sooting and your torch will die much faster!
Hi Heather,

I was wondering how I would set my Fireworks torch to reduce; I got my torch as part of a set with only an instructional flyer lol.

Thanks,
Susan
Old 2006-01-25, 12:33am

Erm...never mind Heather...I found the twisty/nozzle thing - it was staring me right in the face LOL.

At least when I'm ready to start reducing things I'll know where it is

Have a great day folks!