LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-06-05, 7:14am
Chime

Default Is my Hot Head broken?

I don't use my hot head much. I think the last time I use it was last year. Thought start using it again. Bought a new Mapp gas cannister for it, but I just can't get the flame going. Each time I light it up, the flame just last a second and turns off. After several tries I gave up. When I take off the hot head from the mapp gas, there was a pop sound. It really scared me!
Is my hot head broken? I bought it years ago but I rarely use it. Or is it the mapp gas? I notice the opening of the mapp gas is black when it use to be silver. The hole seems deeper on the new canister. Could it be that my hot head is not compatible with the new mapp gas canister?
Do anyone know whats wrong? Has this happened to anyone else?

Hope someone can help me, thanks.
Chime

Last edited by chimehk; 2010-06-05 at 7:16am.
Old 2010-06-05, 8:02am
Certified Thread Killer

The last time I tried to use my HH with MAPP, I experienced the same thing. I'm sure it's "user error" of some sort but I decided not to push it. I haven't used it since. I probably hadn't used it for a year or so…

You are not alone
Old 2010-06-05, 9:45am
Gentleman of Leisure

The pop is just a little bit of MAPP gas captured in neck of tank releasing as you remove torch, its noting to worry about....

To light the torch, open up valve more, and sneak up with match or spark lighter... Sounds like a condition where you do no have enough fuel to maintain combustion....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-06-05, 1:42pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
The pop is just a little bit of MAPP gas captured in neck of tank releasing as you remove torch, its noting to worry about....

To light the torch, open up valve more, and sneak up with match or spark lighter... Sounds like a condition where you do no have enough fuel to maintain combustion....

Dale
Or, it could be too much fuel blowing it out, in which case, you would turn it down and try to light it.
Old 2010-06-05, 6:02pm
Chime

Thank you all for your advices and comments. The canister I bought is Bernzomatic Mapp Gas. I thought they have discontinued this and has change to Map/Pro but now I guess it's back again.
One thing I notice strange is when I open the gas valve, I remember before there use to be a hissing sound before lighting it up. But this time, it was really quiet. But I don't know if I remember correctly since I don't use it that often.
Thanks for telling me that the pop sound is safe Dale. I thought it might explode. Scare the hell out of me. I'm kinda weary to try it again though.
Old 2010-06-13, 11:34pm
Chime

Default My Hot Head is Not Broken! Problem with new MAPP Gas Canister

Gave it another try and still doesn't work. So decided to just return the Mapp gas canister back to the hardware. And they told me the new canister actually have different openings that fits different torches. And they insisted I try another canister which they gave me this time the opening is in green and it works. So back to beadmaking
Here some pics on the new canister that works for Hot Head. The opening in black color didn't work for the hot head and I didn't take a picture of that one. The green opening works.
Attached Images

Old 2010-06-14, 7:40am
Gentleman of Leisure

Hmmm... I see you are in Hong Kong.... I do not know about "different" opening in MAPP containers.... Maybe things are different over there, but there is typical only one design for MAPP - Propylene (Mapp-Pro) - Propane cylinders that I am aware of...

I'm not sure what the green color has to do with it, as far as I know there is only ONE standard for disposable fuel cylinder canister connections....

Interesting points you post makes though.... Also the fact that MAPP may be still available in some parts of the world.... It is no longer available on North American Continent...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-06-14, 8:03am
Chime

Yeah I was surprised as well because I thought there is only one kind of canister. Also I didn't know the Mapp is back. A few times before I use only the Map/Pro since Mapp was not available. But with the new Mapp I'm able to have longer torch time since the flame doesn't come out so strong.
Old 2010-06-14, 8:08am
old fart

turn your torch way down and try to light it with a small flame, then turn it up.

Old 2010-06-14, 8:09am
Glass-aholic

If you are not hearing a hissing there is probably not enough gas to light the flame, or keep it going. Try a new tank. I used these for a long time very successfully.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: