Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-05-30, 1:29pm
needs creative tagline

Default GTT Lynx pulsing?

I'm having a problem getting things up and running. Using a GTT Lynx. I have used this torch before on tanked oxy with no problem, so I think the torch itself is ok.

Movie showing the problem here:
http://arson-studios.blogspot.com/20...-problems.html

I have propane set to 5psi. Using an OGSI OG-15 concentrator, set to 10psi. Volume is set about 9 for this video (though I have tried adjusting it anywhere between about 5 and max without any real improvement).

The flame "pulses". Its generally a reducing flame, and each time the concentrator cycles, the candles grow longer and more reducing, then back to the beginning. I've let the concentrator run for quite a while without any improvement. Turning up the oxy knob on the torch makes more noise and hissing, but no real improvement to the flame.

Ideas what might be going on? Is this an oxygen purity problem? Is there a way to test that? Other suggestions?

thanks!
laura

Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2010-05-30, 3:03pm
PyronamixK

It's a problem with the concentrator.
Old 2010-05-30, 3:08pm
needs creative tagline

Thanks Kimberly,
That's pretty much what I figured but its always nice to hear it from an expert!

Anyone familiar enough with concentrators to know whether it is probably something major like sieve beds, or something less horrible? I'm at the other end of the country from OGSI and would hate to have to ship it to them.

I took the cover off and looked around. No white powder. Air filter seems ok, though I've ordered a replacement just in case. However, I ran it for a bit without the air filter and there was no change.

laura

Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2010-05-30, 5:05pm
PyronamixK

It could possibly be the compressor. Sometimes when they're going out they will cause extreme breathing. That would be my guess for something big going wrong. Compressors can be rebuilit, so even if that's what it is, it's not the end of the world. It could also be a valve or a switch. The best thing to do would be to call OGSI and get someone to troubleshoot it with you. If you're handy with tools, they may be able to send you the parts and walk you through the repair. Call and ask. Some companies will help over the phone, while others might not.

Keeping up on filter maintenance helps keep your sieve material clean. Putting a new filter on isn't going to reverse any damage already done. Clean air makes it last longer, though, so you should keep your filters clean and replace them when necessary.
Old 2010-05-31, 8:30pm
Flamewoman

My Lynx did that when I had my pressure too low on the propane. Turn it up to 10.
Worth a try.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-06-01, 6:43am

Hi, Lara.

The two elements that I have had to replaced over time are the sieve beds(twice) and the aluminum metal corrugated flow tube(twice). I would check the aluminum tubing first, at the two elbows, for any leaks. The weak spots are around where the metal turns(elbows), often near the plastic connector or the elbow near the metal connector (towards the bottom). When you turn it on, you might be able to feel the air pushing out if there are any hole or leaks in the tubing. If you call OGSI, they can help you diagnose if it is the sieve beds, by having you read to them the meters (flow, pressure) to determine if it is one or both of them.

Old 2010-06-01, 9:27am
needs creative tagline

Thanks guys. It seems odd to me that a propane instability would happen on the exact same cycle as what the oxycon is running, but i will bump up the pressure just to be sure. Then I'll take a look at that aluminum tubing, and if no clues after that, must be time to call OGSI.

laura

Facebook -

Old 2010-06-02, 11:12am
PyronamixK

The timing you mentioned and what is shown on your video is what makes me think that it is your concentrator. Some regulators do indeed fluctuate when set to low pressures. Setting it to between 5 and 10 psi or even higher is not going to hurt anything and it might just solve your problem. Have you tried it yet?
Old 2010-06-02, 7:23pm
needs creative tagline

finally had a chance this evening to go out and try the suggestions.

-we turned the propane up to 10psi. no change. turned it up to 12 just to make sure. no change. would've loved for that to be the answer, but sadly, it wasn't.

-we checked all the tubing we could find inside and outside the concentrator, and along the metal tubing elbow thingy. couldn't feel any leaks. i suppose its possible there could be one we can't detect. tried soapy water in a few places, but we were afraid to get it too near anything electronic/electrical.

guess its time for more depth diagnostics with OGSI.

laura

Facebook -

Old 2010-06-04, 7:27pm
needs creative tagline

Another update for those that are following:

DH knew I was getting really frustrated so he went out today and ran all over town until he found a place that would rent him a small bottle of oxygen. When I got home he had it all hooked up and ready to go. It worked perfect! Torch ran just like a lynx should.

So, now I am even more certain that the problem is the oxycon. Not the propane. (thanks to all who suggested looking at the propane though, I will keep that in mind for future problems)

I also spent an hour or so playing and verified that I can at least still make some decently shaped small beads (didn't fire up the kiln for big ones), still join short rods of boro, and still make at least one silver glass (psyche) do what its supposed to do. Despite a 7 month break, all hope is not lost!

laura

Facebook -

Old 2010-06-04, 8:16pm
PyronamixK

Your husband is a keeper!

I hope that the problem with the concentrator can be easily fixed.
Old 2010-06-05, 5:09pm
needs creative tagline

yes he is and I hope so too! when/if i figure out what's going on with it i will post here for others' future reference.

laura

Facebook -

Old 2010-06-24, 10:20am

are you at a high elevation? only ask because your location hints that you may be.

some concentrators, not all, have issues at high elevation

Old 2010-06-24, 10:31am
needs creative tagline

2200ft. so yeah, a bit higher than average, but not like mile high city. i have heard that about oxycons and high elevations but never seen an actual number for what qualifies as "high."

i got some new sieve beds and hope to get a chance to try them out early next week, so i'll post whether that works...

thanks!
laura

Facebook -

Old 2010-06-25, 9:01pm
Super Duper

I've got an ogsi-15 at 3500 feet and it works well enough.

A shame yours broke down, mine has been chugging along for some four years now (despite infrequent filter changes, I think I'm on my third). I hope its a quick fix.
Old 2010-07-08, 8:10pm
Lampworker

i have a hurricane doing the same thing. large fluctuations in the flame (breathing) as the compressor vents out nitrogen. almost from heavy reducing to almost blowing out the flame. cant use the machine at all.
i rebuilt the compressors three times. new cup seals, new piston sleaves, new orings between the sleave and head.
i had to replace a seal in the head of the compressor with an oring. Jack said it should work, but i cant tell if thats the problem or its something else. everything tests fine on the pressure gauge, and no leaks detected with soapy water. the flow just fluctuates between 12L/m and 3L/m.

im so fustrated with this one. its been offline for 5+ months now, i just dont have the time to spend being fustrated rebuilding the same compressors, thinking of sending it back to Jack. was hoping to get some new heads with unbroken seals from jack, but he never sent them . i even offered to pay for them.
Old 2010-07-09, 6:40am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

OldSchool, how about running a holding tank between the hurricane and torch?
Old 2010-07-09, 5:13pm
Lampworker

jack today said its probably the sive bed and not the compressors. i can only fix the compressors.

he said i can just send back the sieve bed and have it refilled or replaced.

i dont have a purity meter, jack does.
the huricane is 2-3 years old and was run 5-6 hours a day 5 days a week. so its probably time for a new sieve bed.
Old 2010-07-09, 5:47pm
needs creative tagline

OGSI is having me replace the sieve beds too. i have them. they are even installed. However, I am waiting on another part of the studio setup to get back from repairs before I can test if the oxycon is all good...

metalbone - i have a holding tank, though not hooked up at the moment. I had thought about trying that as a fix, but I'm fairly sure at this point that its a purity problem where the purity is very low during half the cycle or so. So putting it in a holding tank would even it out, but it would even it out to something with lower purity which wouldn't be so great either.

laura

Facebook -

Old 2010-07-30, 6:33pm
needs creative tagline

YAY!!!! Ok, it took forever to get to this update because during the session with the oxygen bottle the propane regulator developed a small leak, so we decided to send that off for repairs while waiting for the new sieve beds - the regulator repairs were only supposed to take 1 week and ended up taking 6! At least they ended up being free...

So, finally I was able to test out the oxycon with the new sieve beds and it appears all is working well!!!!

I am still seeing a little bit of the flame changing size during the cycle, but its very minor, you have to look hard for it. And it seems to remain a neutral flame throughout. I was able to reduce and un-reduce some triton back and forth a few times, so I think I'm set.

I am a little sad that the OG15 isn't so great as running off liquid O2 (which I always had at the big commercial studio where I went). But I suppose that's to be expected. I have a big holding tank so eventually I'll get that hooked up too and then I should be able to get some occasional power surges

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions!!!

laura

Facebook -

Old 2010-07-31, 4:17pm
PyronamixK

Yay!
Old 2010-08-01, 3:35pm
one day at a time

Wow, is that expensive?? I ahve had my generator running full time in muggy south FL for 7 years. So far, no problems but if I ever needed to replace the zeolite sieve beads, that would cost me $800!
Old 2010-08-01, 5:47pm
needs creative tagline

I think DH said it cost $200 to get the new sieve beds. We installed them ourselves, so I supposed it might cost more to send it off and have them actually do the work, but $800 seems really expensive!
laura

Facebook -