Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-01-02, 2:39pm

Default Cheetah torch troubles

I have a GTT Cheetah that I have only used 3 or 4 times. I am used to a minor and I can't figure out the correct way to use this torch. Does anyone out there own one of these that has figured out how to use it well? I can't get a flame that does not end up burning my hands when I am torching. Is this the nature of the beast? Not sure what the flame should look like. My DH just set it up with quick links so I could get more use out of it. I just tried it now and after an hour went back to the minor. HELP

Last edited by Cheryl; 2012-01-02 at 7:43pm. Reason: title fix
Old 2012-01-02, 2:48pm
Intermembrane Time Travel

I myself am currently dealing with learning the characteristics of the flame on a lynx after using a national 8m and top rider torch when I used to blow glass a few years back. It certainly seems like it will have it's learning curve, but seeing what people can do with them makes me want to tough through it (and probably mess up a bunch of glass) until I figure her out. Certainly can be even more difficult when we don't have anyone in the studio with us to show us hands on that's for sure! Just stick with her perhaps and give yourself some time/patience!
Old 2012-01-03, 11:29am

I find that the GTT triple mixes radiate LESS heat than most other torches of a similar size. Do you have the DVD that came with it? I would suggest you go through that to learn how to adjust it. If not go to youtube and search for the video there as it has been posted. It may be an issue of adjustment or it could be that you are just not used to the heat output of torches in this class. It is much bigger than the Minor.
Old 2012-01-03, 12:13pm

Default DVD

Thanks for the reply. I do not have the DVD. I actually won this at the Gathering and it did not come with a DVD. I did not know one existed. Seems it is exactly what I need. Will check out youtube and hope it helps.

Last edited by Cheryl; 2012-01-03 at 12:16pm. Reason: wording
Old 2012-01-03, 12:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Thanks for the reply. I do not have the DVD. I actually won this at the Gathering and it did not come with a DVD. I did not know one existed. Seems it is exactly what I need. Will check out youtube and hope it helps.
I dont think it has the cheetah on it but it does a pretty good job of explaining how to adjust triple mixes in general.
Old 2012-01-03, 1:19pm

The DVD explains the flame characteristics of all the GTT triple-mix torches, from the Lynx on up. I think GTT only provides the DVD with the larger torches, but you can buy the DVD directly from GTT.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-01-03, 1:48pm

Default torch troubles

O.K. I just watched the youtube instructions. It is the opposite of the written instructions I received. From what I watched the steps are, turn on the gas, then the blue 02, then the green 02. The written instruction are different. They say gas, green 02, blue 02. Which steps do those of you who use triple mixes follow? My hands heat up a lot, but my flame doesn't seem to change much no matter how I try to adjust it. After watching the video, I am more confused. I just can't be this dumb? Or could I? Anyone looking for a nice Cheetah?
Old 2012-01-03, 2:08pm
Wonder-wench

I've got a Lynx and this is what I do:

set propane at about 8psi
set both M10 oxycons to about 6 lpm (I think they put out 10-15 psi)

I always leave the top O2 valve cracked a little open while letting my Oxycon warm up.

To light:
  1. turn off both O2 valves (blue and green)
  2. open propane (red) valve a bit
  3. light propane flame
  4. use red valve to adjust propane flame to 6-8 inch long
  5. slowly open the main O2 valve (green on the side) to get candles with some yellow at the tips
  6. crack open the annular O2 valve (blue on the top) to get the final candle characteristics (a bit of yellow on the tip)

while working I will sometimes mess with the propane and main O2 to get a bigger or smaller overall flame length and width (bushier)

for a really sharp, tight flame (detail work) open the top blue O2 valve more,

in all cases I leave the top blue valve at least slightly cracked open as this is the O2 that goes around each individual port and thus keeps the torch body a little cooler (helps protects the torch from heat damage)

also, if the torch is pretty new, the valve seats may still need a little working in, which means they might drift open/closed a bit in the beginning of the torch sessions. This will probably level off and it helps if you seat the valves closed with a gentle touch (just until if feels closed, but not so far you're pushing into the valve seat with force)

I hope this helps, I'm still a newbie, but I do so love my Lynx!

Last edited by AmorphousDesigns; 2012-01-03 at 2:10pm. Reason: speeling