AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2016-09-25, 7:34am

Exclamation Pressure issues with propane

I'm running a Nortel redmax and I absolutely love it however it seems that when I am working and increase the amount of propane from the torch the pressure in the left gauge on my propane tank drops and does not maintain the original pressure. I've replaced the regulator and still have the same issue with a brand new one. Any ideas?

Please message me if you've had the same problem!
Old 2016-09-25, 5:46pm

set the regulator when the torch is running....

If the flame is good just ignore the regulator, it can be working fine but the gauge could be wonky.
Old 2016-09-26, 7:40am

I can go back and add pressure from the regulator after it drops however when I increase my propane from the torch the pressure will drop again and does not go back up when pressure is dropped from torch severely limiting the amount of steps I can do per session. I've had this problem with two regulators now. Running a Hobart acetylene regulator. Could it be a problem with my torch?
Old 2016-09-26, 7:44am
Phill

Having the left gauge (output hose side ) go lower actually makes sense when you open the fuel valve on the torch because you are allowing more gas to get out of the hose faster.

Snoopdog has the way of it.

The readings are going to change if you allow more out or reduce the amount getting out through the torch.
Old 2016-09-26, 7:56am
Phill

Acetylene hoses and regulators have rubber parts that propane will chemically destroy.

You can wind up with gummy hose gunk clogging your torch from the hose disintegrating and that will require sending it to the maker to have it cleaned out. $$$. ( Not to mention the hazard of the hose leaking propane while you are torching.)

You want to look into "type T" hose and a regulator for propane.

Some folks use the non-meter regulator types for gas grills and RV / travel trailers. I think they drop the 200 psi tank output to 35 psi and the torch valves can handle that.

Then you can adjust the fuel and oxygen for the flame you want.
Old 2016-10-03, 5:18am

I had a similar issue. What kind of regulator are you using? You get what you pay for when it comes to regulators. I had to learn the hard way after buying two cheaper regulators that couldn't maintain a pressure. Then my issue was resolved when I purchased a Smith Regulator. Note that when you use a single stage regulator a minor drop in pressure after turning on the torch is normal, however a continuous drop in pressure indicates an issue.