Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-11-15, 4:50pm

Default GTT Bobcat...Minor...

I am currently using a Hothead which is really just fine...The only problem I have is using the 1# MAPP canisters...I hate throwing them away...Oh, and athe noise...The other situation is that we use Propane to heat, cook, etc. in the house and I could easily run a line to where my work station is and then use a oxygen concentrator...I think this would be more econmical for me in the long run...

Someone I know in the flameworking field suggested the GTT Bobcat over a Minor...Any feedback on that suggestion?...

One bead at a time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
--
Old 2006-11-15, 4:59pm
phrit phreak

awww I was in this dilema a year ago...I read so much of all of the torches in my price range my head was spinning. I finally picked a bobcat and I LOVE it. I run it on a concentrator I bought from Oxygen Plus here on LEtc...great set up. I honestly don't think there's a HUGE difference ...I think the minor is a good torch as well.
xoxo
lori

Old 2006-11-15, 4:59pm

I'm trying to decide on a Minor and Concentrator too!! I look forward to your responses.

-S
Old 2006-11-15, 5:04pm

Lori? One concentrator works with that?
Old 2006-11-16, 3:59am
phrit phreak

one concentrator works just fine for soft glass w/ the bobcat. It's the 'baby' in the GTT series of torches. GTT's website lists them all..http://www.glasstorchtech.com/torches.html

xoxo
lori

Old 2006-11-16, 5:36am
Carpe beadum

I Got a minor after using a hothead. Used it for about 2 months and switched to a Bobcat. Should have started with the Cat. It's pretty much the same as the Minor, heat-wise, just a better torch.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2006-11-16, 7:15am
Mitzy

I have a minor and one oxycon. My understanding is that one oxycon and a mino torch is fine. I think your post is confusing because it implies an oxycon and an oxycon. Not necessary oxycon and hothead.
Old 2006-11-16, 7:46am

Guess more research is required before I shell out the bucks.. Thanks for the info.
Old 2006-11-16, 7:48am
In search of her path....

well if your piping in your propane your limited to your PSI you can run it at. That may give you not optimal performance on the bobcat I know my bobcat liked a liil higher PSI of propane like 5-7psi and most residential pSI comes in at 2-3 psi i believe I could be incorrect at this im not positive but im thinking thats what it comes in at or something close to that.

Im thinking for 1 concentrator and T'ing off your residential propane the minor might be a better choice for your upgrade at your current time....The minor is a great torch for soft glass work its a work horse and it tends to run a lil better on the lower PSI with either natural gas or LP , I love my GTT's too so dont get me wrong Im just thinking for what your stating the residential LP split since its a lower pressure I think the minor will probally be your better torch...

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-11-16, 11:34am
Who me?

I have a Bobcat with a propane bottle outside separate form my house propane. I find that the bobcat with my concentrator gets hotter and has a flame more suited to my style (whatever that is) than my friend's minor. I'm glad I opted fo the Bobcat. Oh and I use the concentrator at 4.5 LPM and the propane at 5 psi. I run a flame a little on the oxy rich side.
Old 2006-11-16, 12:27pm
da General

I just got a Bobcat after a lot of research - over a Minor and MiniCC. It will be set up once my ventilation system is complete so I can't say from personal experience but this is what I learned from forums and research.

The Bobcat has a wider and narrower flame.

Most importantly, GTT technology makes the Bobcat cool to the touch.

As for piping in propane from your house tank - I think there are threads here indicating that it's not legal to do so. But do check.

I plan to pipe in a BBQ tank through rigid pipe with shut-off valves on the wall into my work area. I have a reconditioned 5 LPM (maxes at 8.5 PSI) oxycon.

Hope that helps.

Hayley
Old 2006-11-16, 2:28pm
Formerly known as LT

I think it really depends on the state you are in if it is legal or not to use the propane frome your house tank. I will say when I looked into that it was a problem. They said it could be done here but the PSI was only about 2 and it would cost about 2 grand to get it done. So for me not a good way to go. I use a small tank outside my window and just disconnect them each night. I think it is a 5 pound tank (BBQ tank)and it lasts about a month on my lynx. The cost to refill is very low under 20 bucks so not bad. I have used the bobcat and really like it. I wanted more heat and more options so just went to the lynx. I am now trading up to the cheetah so if you are like most of us fire hogs I think it is a good idea to try to get the best money will allow. I am not sure about the other but the bobcat is a nice little torch for the money. It stays nice and cool.
Old 2006-11-16, 5:27pm
Frit frit and more frit!

Love my Bobcat - its just so sleek and sexy to look at! Works like a dream too..
Old 2006-11-16, 5:42pm

Thanks for all of your info...I'm going to check into the legality of the connection and also the PSI...I'm not sure what it is coming into the house...We have a lot of appliances running on the propane so I'm not sure how it works...My DH and I just thought it would be a good idea and would save a few bucks...I'll let you know what I find out...

One bead at a time...

--
--
--
Old 2006-11-16, 9:00pm
PyronamixK

A BBQ grill sized tank is inexpensive, lasts quite a while, is easy to get filled, and can still be used to supply propane that is plumbed into the studio. I would go with a seperate BBQ tank instead of tapping into your residential propane - JMHO.