Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-01-28, 10:57am

Default torch/oxy con issues

Here's the story-I bought my torch (Nortel Minor) used from WC. It didn't come with a cleaning tool, I guess the person I bought it from forgot to include it, so I had no idea that you have to clean your torch. My poor torch went uncleaned for about a year. I read here about cleaning it, so I wrote to Nortel and they sent me a new tool. I've been cleaning it faithfully, but I've also noticed that my flame has little orange flares occasionally-and if I'm making a bead while the flare occurs, it leaves a little black spot. So here's my question-do I need to give my torch a really good cleaning? Should I send it back for servicing? Is that the issue? Or do I need new sieve beds on my oxy con?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-01-28, 12:06pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Its probably not a oxycon issue. it's probably a issue of carbon buildup on torch face and in tubes because of the fuel you are using. Propane will leave carbon residue from combustion process and its a fact torch will need to be cleaned. All you can try to do is run a less reducing flame (more oxygen) and keep torch clean.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-01-30, 9:37am

When the O2 isn't pure enough coming out of the concentrator, the propane jets can do some wild things....even shoot out at a sideways angel. The jets on a minor are really hard to damage. Cleaning your torch is always a good thing. What happens when you run it with more O2 and propane.... a faster flame?
I would say it's the oxycon because it isn't happening all the time. If your running a constant flame with out adjusting the torch..... then a flare pops out every once and a while. It's def an Oxy issue. If it happens when your adjusting the flame.... more often a smaller/softer flame, then the torch may need cleaned.
Ron Jr.