Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-01-28, 3:12pm

Default Who uses a Carlisle Wildcat??

And what do you use it for??
I just hooked one up at the studio and want to use it tomorrow and was wondering just what it's best at! It's got one of those circular flames on it so I was thinking maybe vessels? And maybe stiffer Glass like Bullseye? So far I have only ever used a Minor and then a Mini CC.
Thanks.
Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-01-30, 7:51am
ManBearPig

I used one at BeadFest last year. I didn't care for it. It got a nice big flame no problem, but it had a hard time getting a small flame without overheating.

Old 2006-01-30, 7:58am

So maybe for big beads that don't need a small flame?? Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-01-30, 8:01am
ManBearPig

Well, maybe. I only worked boro on it, but for just melting rods onto a mandel (or onto a marble, in my case) it was too hot. It was hard to keep the base marble cool enough when adding glass. I would think with soft glass it would burn it up pretty quick.

I usually like Carlisle's torches, but I'm not much of a fan of the Wildcat. They are, however, coming out with a "Hellcat" torch soon that is supposedly a Wildcat with a center fire. That should prove to be a very nice torch.

Old 2006-01-30, 10:19am
<--- Time traveler

Chad, thanks for the heads up on that! Do you have any idea when they'll be introducing the Hellcat torch?

Courtney
Old 2006-01-30, 10:47am
ManBearPig

Haven't heard. I looked on their site, but didn't see anything. I heard a Carlisle rep talking about it in October, so I would assume any time now.

Old 2006-02-01, 8:37am

I had the chance to use one to make a marble while I was at Carlilse teaching. I made a large marble and it worked great. Chad is right though, I had to be real careful while doing detail work. You can do it if you learn to work in the edge of the flame. I left the marble at the factory or I could show it to you. It was about a 2" soft glass marble, with a masking pattern on the surface.

Brad

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2006-02-01, 9:48am

Oooh Brad. You can make another one and leave it here!! I have never even seen a marble made...Yet!
I talked to Chris yesterday at Carlisle. He really is great help and I really like the Carlisle torches especially since they come with such great support! He said it's good for sculpture and bigger things like winestoppers. Of course without the pinpoint you have to use the edge of the flame for detail but I am used to that from when I had my minor. Plus it's set up next to a mini CC if I needed to go to that. I tend to overcook anything that I work on so I really loved th bigger flame when I tried it this weekend! Chris is looking for a June-July day on the new HellCat. That ought to be one awesome torch!! Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-02-01, 10:02am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD
Oooh Brad. You can make another one and leave it here!! I have never even seen a marble made...Yet!
You want me to come teach a marble class?

Old 2006-02-01, 10:08am

Maybe. Can you work on Mini CC's? Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-02-01, 10:13am
ManBearPig

I can work on anything.

Old 2006-02-06, 9:04am

This is really a fun torch. IT's great for anything big. I made a 3 inch long leaf last night off mandrel. Well see if it survives today. Ilike the huge round flame.

Like US on Facebook !