Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-08-17, 9:47pm

Default Working 104 on a CC Burner

Using a CC Burner to work 104, but cannot get the flame set right. We are using the inner port only to keep the flame small, but the glass is sooty. Adjusting the gas mix has helped, but there is still soot. Could it be the gas pressures? O2 and propane are both set at 30psi? Any suggestions?
Old 2009-08-17, 10:09pm
Bliss Junkie

turn the propane down to 5-6 psi

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2009-08-17, 11:33pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbacher View Post
turn the propane down to 5-6 psi
Agreed. Also, though you can work soft glass with a CC, the colors will never be as nice as what you'll get with a surface mix torch. I worked at a job that provided the torch (a CC) but wanted me to work soft glass and boro. I ended up bringing in my own torch for the days I worked soft glass (GTT Lynx) and just used the CC for the larger boro projects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-08-17, 11:48pm

If you must use the CC for doing small soft glass work ...

It sounds like you're running a reduction flame (ie: too much gas, not enough oxygen). As you probably know, the center fire on a CC is a pre-mix flame. Many find it harder to gauge the mixture on a pre-mix flame than a surface mix torch. I might suggest that you find some (hopefully inexpensive) glass that you can use to 'test' the mixture of your flame setting. Find some glass that reacts to a reduction flame easily, and some that reacts to an oxidizing flame, and use these to adjust your gas/oxygen mixture.

For example, some white glass turns brown or 'sooty' in a reduction flame. Keep adding more oxygen until the white glass doesn't turn sooty any more.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-08-18, 5:32am
ManBearPig

You don't need to change the pressure on the regulators for working different types of glass. I work 104 glass quite a bit on my CC and don't change any of my regulator settings. But, 30 psi on the propane is probably a little too high for any type of glass. 15 psi is all you need. Just work a smaller flame and crack the outer oxygen a little bit.

Old 2009-08-18, 10:30am

Smile Working 104 on a CC Burner

Thank you for the excellant responses. I will be turning the propane down tonight to see how that helps. Using the Carlisle to work the soft glass is temporary, I hope. I'm wishing for a Lynx in the near(?) future. My business partner is playing the 'violin sonata' on his thumb as we speak. Grrr ! !
Old 2009-08-18, 6:55pm
ManBearPig

No need for a Lynx, unless you just have money to burn. I can make anything on my CC that I can make on a Minor, Lynx, or any other torch...

Old 2009-09-02, 1:14pm

Default It's working better

Turned the O2 down to 15-18 psi, and the LP down to 4-8 psi. This is a good combo on the CC. Beads are coming out much better. Now if I could only keep my studio-mate from using up all the O2.....hmmmmm.