Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-08-03, 4:53pm
Somebody's watching me!

Default GTT Scorpion

Hi. Has anyone tried out the scorpion yet? How important and how much more would it be worth the get one of GTT's torches with the secondary oxygen valve? I'm in the market for a new torch. I've been behind a cricket (scorpion's center fire) and loved it..just needed more umph! If i were to pick between the lynx or cheetah or scorpion..which would be the best for making boro pendants? which has the best needle flame? just putting my feelers out there because im going to buy a new torch in the next couple weeks.

my mega minor just doesn't have the umph i want for pendants...i have to drop down to my over-powered red max on the bottom too often. I think my torch is more for making pipes or slightly larger marbles...small torch for color decoration and big torch for blowing out tubing...I lack a mid-ranged sized flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-03, 8:01pm

I haven't tried a Scorpion (really want to), but know that the triple mix gives a substantially more penetrating flame than the Cricket, and I don't imagine that the Scorpion's extra ports increase penetration as much as they increase width. Penetration goes beyond the flame heat - it's also how fast the flame's traveling. To understand that - if you imagine the flame as a machine gun (heated particles are the bullets), the Lynx shoots more rounds per minute.

So, I haven't tried a Scorpion, so can't say for sure, but I think a Lynx would be ideal for boro pendants, because the extra penetration from triple mix makes things move faster, and it can produce a flame that's plenty wide for a pendant.
Old 2010-08-03, 9:30pm
PyronamixK

Two questions:
What is your budget?
What is your oxygen situation?
Old 2010-08-03, 10:19pm
Somebody's watching me!

im on tanked oxygen and budget is peaked with the scorpion..but i want most value for my dollar. versatility is important, but i still want the primary use of the torch to be ideal for pendants

Old 2010-08-03, 10:21pm
Somebody's watching me!

***i say peaked...i would splurge for a barracuda if it is just that much better

Old 2010-08-04, 4:53am
Angie09

I had a Lynx which has lots of fire power and a great pinpoint flame but I wanted a wider flame and, to me, more melting power so I upgraded to a Scorpion. I run a 10 Regalia (thanks Kimberly!!) and I have more than enough power to do anything I want. However, I only make boro beads ... not marbles so that may change the equation.

I LOVE the Scorpion!!! Never felt the Regalia was quite enough for the Lynx but it is terrific with the Scorpion for my needs. My vote ... the Scorpion all the way.
Old 2010-08-04, 8:21am
PyronamixK

I prefer the Cheetah for boro marble-making on tanked oxygen. The detail flame is still pretty small, even if it is not as small as the one on the Lynx. You can still do I/O work with it. It is also more comfortable to work with, IMHO, than the one on the Cricket/Scorpion. The Cricket pinpoint has too much radiant heat and if I need to get right on top of something and work close to the flame, it's too hot for my fingers. The Cheetah, on the other hand, is like the Lynx in that the radiant heat is pulled back into the body of the flame and it all goes to the glass, allowing me to get a lot closer to the flame when I work. You may or may not need it to do that. But, it is something to keep in mind.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2010-08-04 at 8:26am.
Old 2010-08-04, 2:54pm
Somebody's watching me!

what is I/O? and yeah, the more i hear and read (here and elsewhere) the more i am leaning towards the cheetah. i dont know what the resale value is on my redmax..but i could always keep it around for back up or lessons to someone with the minor on top. i sure would like some video of pictures of the cheetah's flame but i dont doubt that people love GTT enough to where ill be confident in my purchase.

PS...all this time i've been saying cricket...but it was the bobcat i was on not too long ago at aquila glass school. super hot little torch...

Last edited by Bakerman44; 2010-08-04 at 2:56pm. Reason: typo
Old 2010-08-04, 2:55pm
Somebody's watching me!

oh wait...I/O = inside out?

Old 2010-08-04, 8:11pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman44 View Post
oh wait...I/O = inside out?
Yes, inside out.
Old 2010-08-05, 6:09am
Melting

Now I'm wondering about the advantages the Scorpion has over the Cheetah.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-08-05, 12:32pm
Somebody's watching me!

sooo...came across a youtube video. it talked about how higher psi in your torch can just push the heat around the glass instead of in it....it was a promo video for Bethlehem barracuda. I have been running my mega minor with a little extra psi on fuel and oxy because i need it for the red max. but i need to see what the lower psi does for the mega minor and see if that is why i feel so handicapped at medium sized stuff. ill let you know ho it goes.

Old 2010-08-05, 5:50pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
Now I'm wondering about the advantages the Scorpion has over the Cheetah.
triple mix?

Old 2010-08-05, 5:52pm
Melting

The Cheetah is the triple mix, the Scorpion isn't.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-08-06, 9:02am
PyronamixK

The greater heat density makes it more powerful for boro work. But, since it is triple mix, you can control that very easily and make a much cooler flame, too, if you need to work soft or sensitive glass. Triple mix torches are more versatile. However, if you are on a limited oxygen supply, the Scorpion would be a good way to get a nice large flame.
Old 2010-08-15, 10:40am
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman44 View Post
sooo...came across a youtube video. it talked about how higher psi in your torch can just push the heat around the glass instead of in it....it was a promo video for Bethlehem barracuda. I have been running my mega minor with a little extra psi on fuel and oxy because i need it for the red max. but i need to see what the lower psi does for the mega minor and see if that is why i feel so handicapped at medium sized stuff. ill let you know ho it goes.
i guess that i dreamed coming back and sharing my results a week ago, but apparantly i didn't. so. yes, lower psi improved the mega minor's performance at little to no expense of the redmax. however, it still just doesn't have enough "kick it in the ass" attitude to do medium stuff at a reasonable rate. i think im going to work on finding a barracuda. ive pretty much made up my mind on it. i just have to find a good used one or start saving up!