Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-07-13, 5:01pm
Alaska Boro

Default Torch Natural Gas Pressure Performance - .3 vs 20 PSI

Considering the use of a gas booster to increase natural gas pressure from .3 PSI (1/3) to 25 PSI for a GTT Scorpion.

Looking for input from lampworkes that are using this system and how well it works in regard to torch performance.

1) Is there a noticeable performance increase?

2) About how much additional oxygen is required due to the increased NG pressure?

3) Was the purchase worth it in terms of overall torch performance.

Overall, the BTU content of NG vs propane is 2.44. i.e. it takes 2.44 NG CUF to equal the BTU rating of 1 CUF of propane. Or 2.44 CUF of NG is equal to 1 CUF of propane in terms of the same BTU content.

However in terms of cost, even in the Land of the Last Frontier, propane is more costly. If $100 of NG is used, the same amount of propane would be $600 for an equal number of produced BTU's.

The ratio may be as high as 10 to 1 depending on location.
Old 2012-07-15, 7:22am

I would check with GTT. They are very good about getting back with questions regarding optimizing torch performance.

Robert
Old 2012-07-15, 11:18am
funny mofo

And then can you come back and give us the answer? I'd like to know as well!

Old 2012-07-15, 4:45pm
Alaska Boro

Did check with GTT and Wally was most informative. That is where the 20 PSI NG for the Scorpion came from. The general consensus is that it will improve performance with the higher pressure. i.e. more fuel However it may be difficult to quantify how much. Did not ask if GTT is using a gas booster, but got the impression that they did not. Of course, could be wrong on that point.

The other part of interest will be if more fuel is available, then how much more oxygen will be required. Would think that it would be in the range of two to one with NG. And will additional concentrators be required or will the default be to use bottled for increased oxygen pressure to burn the additional fuel.

The box should be here in about a week. So will see what my opinion is once it is hooked up and tested at 5 PSI and up to 20 PSI NG.