AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2012-12-19, 11:22am
Marble Lover

Default Cleaning the Carlisle Wildcat

I want to clean the Wildcat I'm borrowing to make sure no carbon build up is happening. The instruction sheet on the Carlisle website says to use .026 diameter piano wire:

http://carlislemachine.com/webcatalo...tion_Sheet.pdf

Is there something else you can suggest that is the right size to do this cleaning so I can avoid a trip to the closest piano store? Or, should I just go get the piano wire?

Also, what can I use to "brush" the nose of the torch to get it cleaner that is abrasive enough to do soem cleaning, yet, not enough to mar the torch?

-BEP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-19, 2:52pm
Alaska Boro

Or you can make a trip down to the welding store and purchase their gas welding torch cleaning wires. Make sure that the set contains the size/s needed.

Last edited by Alaska; 2012-12-19 at 2:55pm.
Old 2012-12-19, 4:18pm

Best to get the right thing for this. Use something other than what the mfgr suggests and something goes wrong you may be SOL. GTT sends a wire brush in the cleaning kits to clean the face.
Old 2012-12-19, 4:37pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Single strand guitar string works well too. You should be able to get individual strings for a couple of bucks each. Most music stores sell singles by size.
Old 2012-12-19, 4:48pm
Marble Lover

Thanks for the ideas.

Do you know what kind of metal the wires are on the wire brush that comes with the torch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
Single strand guitar string works well too. You should be able to get individual strings for a couple of bucks each. Most music stores sell singles by size.
Odd you should mention this. I called my wife about an hour ago to have her check in the case to see if I had an extra set of strings in there. She said I do, so if the High-E is small enough, I'll give it a shot.

-BEP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-19, 4:53pm

You can use copper wire from a stranded insulated cable that you can buy at any hardware store and use a small brass brush. Both or these metals are softer than the metals used in your torch. Clean it anytime you see small orange spots illuminating from the face of your torch or after each session if you can.
Old 2012-12-20, 2:47pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
Thanks for the ideas.

Do you know what kind of metal the wires are on the wire brush that comes with the torch?

Odd you should mention this. I called my wife about an hour ago to have her check in the case to see if I had an extra set of strings in there. She said I do, so if the High-E is small enough, I'll give it a shot.

-BEP
Depending on your string weight high E will be 0.011 (extra light) to 0.020 (heavy) ad D or a G string might work better. As for the wire brush, stop at Lowes or your welding shop and get a copper or brass brush for cleaning either MIG or TIG tips. I keep a D string around for cleaning the ports on the carbs of small engines.
Old 2012-12-21, 8:36pm

A general purpose hobby and craft store probably carries piano wire. If the store sells small structural shapes in metal and wood for dollhouses and models, they likely sell piano wire.