Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Old 2013-08-02, 10:30pm

Default Strange torch flame..........

I've been using the same Nortel Minor torch for several years & have never had a problem till now.

I had not made any beads for about 4 months, just ran my oxygen concentrator every now & then. About a couple of weeks ago I made four large fairly simple beads with no problems but a week later I had trouble lighting the torch.

I'm sure it's not the oxy con as the flame is not right before turning on the oxy con. It's a large bushy flame that starts about an inch OUT from the face of the torch & as soon as I turn on the oxy con, the flame blows out... I've tried cleaning the holes with a piece of wire but it has made no difference.

Has anyone had this or a similar problem, I could sure do with some help.... Please.

Kerry
Old 2013-08-02, 11:14pm

Sounds like you need to turn down the pressure on your propane. To much pressure pushes the flame off the end of the burner like you discribed and if you add oxygen ....Pooff... it pushes the flame completely off. You should be able to turn down the propane until the flame is touching the burner face...then add the oxy.

Khan
Old 2013-08-03, 12:28am

Thank you Khan, I will try your suggestion in the morning.. I wasn't aware I had changed any settings, so I hope that's all it is..

Kerry
Old 2013-08-03, 6:34am

I'd agree with Khan
Old 2013-08-03, 1:07pm
PyronamixK

Get your propane flame about 6" long before adding your oxygen and see if that helps.
Old 2013-08-03, 1:09pm
Storm Queen

You may be turning your oxy on too quickly too. Try slowly opening it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-08-04, 10:13pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions but I'm beginning to think maybe it's the regulator not working.

Amy the problem seems to be before I open the oxycon. The flame is acting weird.

I'm going to give up for awhile, I'm supposed to be getting ready to move & I keep putting off the packing.......

When I'm set up in the new place, I'll try again.......& I should have enough money to buy what ever it needs to fix the problem

Kerry
Old 2013-08-05, 7:36am
PyronamixK

Good luck with the packing and moving!

When you set back up, try setting your propane regulator to 5 psi. If you can't get it to go that low, your regulator may be broken.

You should have to set your regulator every time you torch because every time you shut down for the day, you should be turning off the tank valve and backing out your T on the regulator. If you don't back out the T, the spring inside will stay under stress and that can break the regulator.

Regardless of the regulator setting (unless it is just crazy high, and then you would have an enormous propane flame), you should be able to control your fuel gas with the valves on your torch. Turn the fuel gas down at the torch and rein that flame in. Get the propane-only flame to be about 6 inches before adding your oxygen. Too much propane can blow out your flame.

Air can also blow out your flame, so before you even turn on the propane valve at the torch, make sure you are keeping your torch oxygen valve open while your concentrator is warming up.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2013-08-05 at 7:42am.