Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-10-31, 5:56pm
Queen Tut ;)

Default Torch cleaning help? Construction dust...

Ok, some genius working on my studio construction decided it was a bright idea to remove the drop cloths/tarps/et al BEFORE sanding the drywall. There's a layer of dust on everything, including my gorgeous, barely used Bravo. (Admittedly, I should have assumed my dust preventative would not have been foolproof and I should have removed the torch from the area completely...so I accept some blame)

I'm going to assume dust made it into the ports, seeing as how there were piles everywhere.

What do I do to clean this? My normal procedure doesn't feel right in this situation. I follow manufacturers recommendations and clean with wires, etc. I don't want to shove dust further in by doing that. My husband said he has an air compressor they use at work and he can blow the ports...but that still blows in, not out.

Suggestions? Should I contact the manufacturer and send it in for them to clean?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-11-01, 1:52am
Alaska Boro

You are correct in that blowing air into the ports is not something that should be done.

IMO just turn on the oxygen and propane and see if the dust blows out of the torch. i.e. one at a time Or one could check what the recommended maximum pressure the torch can handle and up the pressures accordingly. But do not light torch. And only short bursts will be needed.

The issue with an external air compressor on the oxygen side is that some air compressors use oil and oil filled air should be avoided on the oxygen side. If using an oil less compressor then IMO that would be acceptable up to say 20 - 30 PSI depending on what the manufacture recommends.

Then try the torch and see how it burns and clean with wires after the air purge if necessary.

However, do seek opinions of others plus the manufacture to make sure that what is done to the torch is safe and will solve your issue.
Old 2013-11-01, 5:51am
Loving learning

I have no real knowledge, but my thought would be to vacuum first, hopefully with a nozzle for keyboards, etc.
Old 2013-11-01, 9:42am

I have used just my little home compressor to blow out my torch several times with no problems... Just open the valves and use a piece of plastic tubing or rubber tube to connect the valve back to a air gun. Adjust the compressor for say about 25 lbs and it shouldnt blow oil or anything into your torch. The only thing that normally will get into the air lines is moisture and most places use a trap to take that out of the line. If your hubby takes it to work he should ask if there is ever any moisture(water) in the lines before he uses it. As far as oil being in the line..thats should not be happening on a decent compressor. It is possible some oil could blow by the piston into the air line but if it does its because its old and worn out...Not many places would still have a compressor that deprecated still in use.
You could just go buy a can of compressed air at any place like Michaels or Hobby Lobby or any place that sells stuff for airbrushing. The can will have good clean dry air in it... no worries with that at all.. You should be able to blow it out pretty good with that.
Khan
Old 2013-11-01, 1:19pm
kinda torching....

As khan was saying, pump the air from the hose connection. NOT THE FACE!
Pointing the face down and lightly tapping with a wooden dowel would also help.

Old 2013-11-01, 7:55pm
Queen Tut ;)

Thank you for all the feedback... My hubby's compressor at work should do from the sound of it. They use it to clean optics in a lab setting, so it's kept clean and well maintained.

I do hope this works to clean it, I'm just so stressed with the dust situation and the absolute mess I have to deal with.