Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-11-12, 8:35am

Default Newbie torch woes

Hello! I'm new

Mom (missp_32) brought her old hh over for me to play with. When we fired it up on map, it stunk up the garage with a fishy smell... Then it didn't want to stay lit. So, we are thinking it definitely needs a cleaning. However, I also wonder if it has a leak, and I doubt cleaning will help with that. So, that's the first question... Opinions/experience on that?

So, then obviously we couldn't just accept that! Ran over to Home Depot and bought a Burnzomatic TS8000. So, I've been playing with this also on map. If I run it quiet (low) everything comes out very filthy (scum/smoke/yuck). So, I jacked it up much higher and worked further out to clean it up. I experienced some mild success... Some things are still getting dirty, although I'm sure that can be blamed on my inexperience. and.... I ran out of gas. I have maybe 3 hours on this tank at the most. Does that seem right?

I'm wondering if I should try a BBQ propane tank, even though it's inherently dirtier. If this is going to cost a $10 tank of map gas every other day, and 50-75% of what I produce is crap, then I don't think this is going to work for me! Advice? TIA
Old 2013-11-12, 8:57am

Hoping someone hops in here and helps her out. I really want her to be able to make beads without having to come across town to moms house. Thanks everyone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2013-11-12, 8:59am
Loving learning

I wish I could help, but don't know if it's the torch that is the problem. I know there is one I've seen that is close to the HH, but don't think the others mix enough oxygen from the air.
I do know a lot of people use BBQ tanks of propane with their HH to stretch their fuel times and $$.
Old 2013-11-12, 9:00am
Loving learning

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...te#post3630233

This tells about the substitute torch.
Old 2013-11-12, 10:47am

The torch mentioned is the Mag Torch MT245C. You should find it for much less than the price listed in that post. I have seen it at an auto parts store, AutoZone, for less than $10.00. Also, you can get a similar torch at Devardi Glass for about $15 http://www.devardiglass.com/Torches.htm.

This torch is NOT exactly the same as a Hot Head, but close enough. I've argued this and a certain member has posted pictures that show they are identical on the outside, but I have posted pictures that they are slightly different internally. If anything, the MT245C should be slightly hotter.

As for the leakage, I would guess that it most likely is a deteriorated gasket between the torch and the cylinder, The gaskets on the old Hot Head were cork. It should be easy to match and replace with a rubber gasket. You can cut one out of thin sheet rubber if you can't find a ready made match.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2013-11-12 at 10:52am.
Old 2013-11-12, 12:59pm

Well, I have certainly had a lot to research here on my lunch break! Thank you for the responses

I had one more thought this morning... I think (after having watched several YouTube videos) that the flame from this torch is pretty "bushy." I think this may be contributing to my issues. I wonder if I can adjust that quality of the flame at all by turning the tip piece. I'll experiment later, and if I am unsuccessful with that, then I may just find my way to the parts store

ETA: I'd also like to get that old hh back out and inspect the gasket/clean it up a bit... Perhaps I can just get that one going again!

Last edited by sarahjo80; 2013-11-12 at 1:01pm.
Old 2013-11-12, 1:22pm

Turning the tip piece will not affect the flame. You can remove the tip piece to clean the ports, but I doubt whether there is anything that needs cleaning. If you mean the piece that is screwed onto the neck, that is how you disassemble the torch for cleaning.

If you have the older model with the cork gasket, the control valve is supposed to be better than the newer models. It is easier to adjust the size of the flame with the older models.

Also, you can rent or purchase a tank for propylene instead of using a propane tank. The propylene tanks I've seen are, I'd guess, 1/3 or 2/5 the size of a standard barbeque propane tank.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2013-11-12 at 1:51pm.
Old 2013-11-12, 7:38pm

Well, I have been through quite a drama here...

I came home from work eager to dig up the hothead and inspect it. I was informed that my boyfriend had already taken out the recycling (good boy!). Uh oh! So, I dug into the stinking trash container and found it, rinsed it, went back to my workbench. It is the older style with the cork gasket and the better valve control, so I started to disassemble it to clean it.

Then I broke the neck clean off of the valve end! Crap!!! What am I? He-man??? The welder boyfriend has declared it is officially toast I went ahead and removed the tip, I guess we can still clean that and keep it for a spare... But I'm going to have to confess to mom that I broke her hh with my bare hands like some kind of maniac! Eek!

Unfortunately, the necks of these two torches are not even the same size, so I can't even try the old tip on the new torch. Dangit!

And given the news that adjusting the head will not have the desired effect, I guess I'm on a mission for a mag 245... Sigh, but probably won't be back up and running tonight, unfortunately.
Old 2013-11-12, 7:58pm
Gentleman of Leisure

One thing that concerns me, you say it stunk up the garage.... This leads me to believe you do not have sufficient ventilation in garage and you are endangering your self with NOX and CO fumes...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-11-12, 8:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjo80 View Post

Then I broke the neck clean off of the valve end! Crap!!! What am I? He-man??? The welder boyfriend has declared it is officially toast I went ahead and removed the tip, I guess we can still clean that and keep it for a spare... But I'm going to have to confess to mom that I broke her hh with my bare hands like some kind of maniac! Eek!.
Yes, you can keep that for a spare. What you really want is the orifice plate, which is between the neck and the screw-on nozzle (the flame cup). The orifice plate is most of what makes the torch an official Hot Head. The Hot Head Source http://www.hotheadsource.com/HHreplacementparts.html charges $15 for that part alone. (There is a helpful picture on that web page.) If you get an MT245C and its performance is not quite what you expect, you can try substituting the orifice plate from your old Hot Head for the orifice plate in the MT245; however, I would not recommend that you replace the old for the new unless you really think it might help, after you try the MT245C.
Old 2013-11-13, 7:24am

Good point, Dale. We do have a fan that vents the garage full time, and another vent fan I can turn on at will. The doors were not open at that moment and I am inclined to think that the ventilation is sufficient with some fresh air flowing in and the fans running. In this case, I believe that junction on the torch was already broken open, so a lot of gas was probably just spilling out into the room, which is why we were getting so much gas in the air. At any rate, that torch is out of commission, so I guess that won't be bothering us any more!

MT245C on the way, should be here Friday.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2013-11-13, 7:26am

Oops, sorry mom... you were still logged in here. Whoops!!