Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-12-04, 2:54pm

Jcrawford, you have come to the right place...LE...to ask your questions. I hope you find many glass friends here, and have a ton of fun once you get your setup going!

Best regards,
Helene
Old 2013-12-04, 10:04pm

I too would start with a midrange torch such as a Bethlehem Bravo. I do have one and I love it. I also built a footpedal with help from folks on LE here http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ing+foot+pedal and a couple of you tube videos on the parts needed and some instructions on how to put it together and where to buy parts from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rH8ZFH5AN0 I think by building the foot pedal I saved around 200 to 300 dollars roughly. Here's the other youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2jCtS5hJLc

The Bravo torch is awesome the Red Max torch by Nortel is also a great torch. I love my tanked oxygen but it does get cumbersome lugging around the tanks to get them filled or in my case exchanged empty for full. My next major purchase will be a homefill setup for around 1000 bucks which will include the oxygen concentrator. I already own 4 oxygen tanks so I'll be able to just refill as needed. One of your major expenses will be a kiln if you're planning on large sculptures and the larger kilns will likely need 220 to 240 volt outlet. There are decent sized kilns that will run on regular household 110-115 volt also. Though you may be able to get decent used kilns via craigslist in your area or ebay....just be careful with either...with craigslis watch out for scammers and with ebay watch the shipping charges because kilns are heavy. Hope you get to take a class soon or maybe find someone nearby that would let you melt glass on their equipment to at least try it out and get a feel for it. You've definitely come to the right place for help/ advice.

John aka "BIG JOHN"
Old 2013-12-05, 8:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliglassguy View Post
I too would start with a midrange torch such as a Bethlehem Bravo. I do have one and I love it. I also built a footpedal with help from folks on LE here http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ing+foot+pedal and a couple of you tube videos on the parts needed and some instructions on how to put it together and where to buy parts from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rH8ZFH5AN0 I think by building the foot pedal I saved around 200 to 300 dollars roughly. Here's the other youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2jCtS5hJLc...............
Thanks for the urls and instructions
! I will check them out!!!
Old 2013-12-05, 8:35am

I will also be checking those out, thanks for sharing.
Old 2013-12-05, 4:16pm
Phill

Where you live may pose a problem for tanked oxygen as some cities have ordnances that don't allow anything larger than a 3 foot tall medical tank in housing areas.
Your homeowners insurance may have details that could cost you dearly as well. Some insurance companies can refuse to pay a claim on hail damage to your roof because they found out you had a K-tank of o2 or even a bar-b-que tank of propane inside the house even if it has nothing to do with your claim.
Old 2013-12-05, 4:53pm

does the same apply to using concentrators and a home fill, and what if it is in an external building on the same property.. I wonder if a landlord would allow that lol
Old 2013-12-05, 7:13pm
Phill

Concentrators are U/L approved I think so they are as safe as the toaster on your counter, as are the home fill systems.

The other questions are ones you will have to get answered by the folks involved. I would also suggest that you get any approvals in writing too. When the stuff hits the fan, landlords can get forgetful about what they said when and nothing counts with the insurance companies unless you can prove it in court.
Old 2013-12-05, 7:18pm
Phill

if it has not been mentioned to you, its important to note that propane is heavier than air and will pool in crawl spaces and basements and go boom when you aren't looking. So don't go bringing more than a one pound can in the house. You can run plumbing to outside tanks but those need shut offs at the tank and I think on both sides of the exterior wall where it comes in. The safety threads have a lot of details that you should be up to speed on too with ventilation and regulators and workbench surfaces and stuff.
Old 2013-12-07, 11:00am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Someone suggested starting with a Cricket and one repurposed medical concentrator. If possible I woud go with a Lynx and 2 repurposed medical units. I say this because the Lynx is the centerfire of most of the GTT line and is suitable to work boro marbles up to about 1.25" and slightly larger if you are patient. I run the centerfire of my Kabuki, a Lynx, on just such a setup. Two Airesep 5lpm units on the centerfire and the other two rings on tanked oxy through a 2 section foot pedal.
PJH