Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-07-10, 6:40am
Pyromaniac

Default Oxygen Generator/Concentrator Questions

Where do I shop for these magical devices? I've been looking around, and it looks like a $2000 investment! Ouch! I keep seeing people talk about Oxygen Generators and concentrators, but I haven't seen any real Oxy faq.

Where do I begin?
Old 2006-07-10, 7:09am
Fight glass with FIRE

If your looking for great information about concentrators and generators you should check this site http://www.oxygenplusmedical.com and if you want even more info call them and talk to Larry or Justin and they will give you all the information you will need. Je units have the best warranty and is backed by a company that rebuilds the units to the highest standard compared to thers that might just change the filters and do the least work in order to resell their units. All you'll get from oxygen plus medical is top quality for your dollar!

Justin also looks at the forums and can give you great info!

hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2006-07-10, 8:52am
Missing presumed fed

Bun, from looking at your other posts I see you're using a Minor. Not to worry! You can run a Minor with a used 5 lpm (that's liters per minute, and it doesn't translate directly to psi, so don't try to do a comparison with your tanks) medical concentrator. If you get very lucky, you might be able to find one for $200, but these days you're more likely to be paying something in the neighborhood of $400 (and up) for one. It varies according to the amount of use that the concentrator has had (measured in the number of hours on it), whether the concentrator has been reconditioned, and whether there's a warranty and how much of a warranty. One 5 LPM concentrator will run a Minor nicely, but it's certainly possible to add a second one later and run them together for more oomph. If your budget permits, you could also look at a concentrator that's larger than a 5 LPM unit, but that does tend to run into more money, and is more likely to mean that you'll need to buy a new unit rather than a retired medical one.

If you go with a retired medical concentrator, you'll find that it pays for itself in the savings over tanked oxygen fairly quickly.
Old 2006-07-10, 9:35am
Pyromaniac

Thanks for the responses. I can tell you I've been looking around the internet and have yet to find a good centralized information source on oxygen generators/concentrators for lampworkers. I'm not sure how I want to go. On the one hand, I could buy something "for now", but it makes just as much sense to buy something that will meet my future needs as well, and either one will start paying for itself immediately.

I will probably be wanting to run 2 minor burners in the near future, or one bigger torch, or a bigger torch plus a minor. That's my dilemma. There are TWO lampworkers in my household.
Old 2006-07-10, 10:05am

There are a few problems with finding information. There are so many variables. Some people find that one 5lpm concentrator works perfect for them on whatever torch with whatever glass, while others need to concentrators to be happy with their torch, glass and techniques. There is also the definition of "bigger torch" to consider, because that can mean anything from a Lynx to a Mirage or bigger. There are quite a few larger torches that you just can't run off of a concentrator, or two or three. After years of searching for a solution for my torch, the Cheetah, this year OGSI came out with a generator that fits my torch, my glass and what I do. Basically the generators are new equipment with long warranties, while concentrators are used equipment with short or no warranties. Generators cost in the $2000 range while a concentrator can go for as little as $200. If you are on a Minor right now, a 5lpm concentrator would probably run it, unless your beads are very large. But if you are adding a larger torch, and a Minor you will probably have a hard time finding one generator that will run both at the same time.

Good luck on your search, and Justin does have lots of really good answers to the hard questions and seems to be very fair in his review of even competing machines.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
Old 2006-07-10, 10:47am
Michelle Morrison-Geschke

Default Worth giving Justin a call!

I bought my Oxycon from Justin just last month. What really impressed me was how helpful and knowledgable he is. Drop him an email or give him a call, and he can really help you out.

I'm just getting my set-up put together with a minor, and am really glad I was able to get a Devilbiss from Justin.

Good luck!
Michelle

and
New items!

I'm mostly over at Facebook these days... and working. Life has gotten... Hectic. I will try to check messages here... but try FB if you need me...
Old 2006-07-10, 1:40pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone

Old 2006-07-10, 5:12pm
Pyromaniac

Thanks for the great info Pam! Justin, I'm looking over the info on your site. Thanks again to everyone for the comments.

Looks like I'm going to have to start saving up... one way or another!

Out of curiosity, what is the best, highest output model available anyhow?
Old 2006-07-10, 5:17pm

Teh Devilbiss would probably be the best of the medical concentrators. They put out 5 Liters Per Minute and 8-9 PSI where most other machines put out 5, maybe 6 PSI.

Old 2006-07-12, 7:38am

You have several choices...you can run a minor with one 5 liter unit (reconditioned), you can put two concentrators together to get a hotter flame. You can use the Integra 10 to run 2 torches at the same time, or even one small jeweler's torch. It adjusts from 1 to 10 liters per minute with 9 psi. I have several customers running a Barracuda and a minor from the Integra 10 with ease...