Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-08-28, 9:48am

Default Carlisl Torch

Do you all have any objections to a Carlisle torches or the comparison to the Paranah torch. Need help deciding.
Old 2005-08-28, 3:17pm
You can call me Slater

Are you talking about the big torch or mini CC?

Penny
Old 2005-08-28, 4:08pm

Mini CC
Old 2005-08-28, 7:18pm
Professional Bead Pimp

I had Carlise send me a Mini CC loaner torch for evaluation about a year ago and I was not too impressed.

What I didn't like was the way the flame shape changed when changing the propane. I'm use to a flame getting "smaller and pointy" when you turn the propane down, but the Mini CC got "smaller and bushier". For me, this bushyness defeats a smaller flame because you usually want it smaller to do detail work. It has something to do with the ports crossfiring instead of being straight out the end of the torch.

But, it seemed like to me that this torch on tanked oxygen would be a much better torch. With my 5 LPM ox con, it just wouldn't push out enough flame.

I would be interested in hearing other folks opinions too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7

Last edited by BillBrach; 2005-08-28 at 7:21pm.
Old 2005-08-28, 8:40pm

Hmmm, this is what I'm trying to figure out. If I should just stay with my minor and get another small oxycon to give me some more psi of oxy. What do you think.
Old 2005-08-28, 8:46pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrach
I had Carlise send me a Mini CC loaner torch for evaluation about a year ago and I was not too impressed.

What I didn't like was the way the flame shape changed when changing the propane. I'm use to a flame getting "smaller and pointy" when you turn the propane down, but the Mini CC got "smaller and bushier". For me, this bushyness defeats a smaller flame because you usually want it smaller to do detail work. It has something to do with the ports crossfiring instead of being straight out the end of the torch.

But, it seemed like to me that this torch on tanked oxygen would be a much better torch. With my 5 LPM ox con, it just wouldn't push out enough flame.

I would be interested in hearing other folks opinions too.
You musta got a bad one. When I turn down my propane I get a little pointy flame and I melted my first boro tonight on 1 oxycon. Melted like butter . If I didn't know for certain, I would have sworn that it was soft glass. I love my mini and wouldn't trade it for nuthin'!

Old 2005-08-28, 8:47pm

I have had a Mini for a year now and have beenhaving problems with it burning my glass and reducing and the knobs getting really really hot. I took it in to Glasscraft and it ran just fine on their 10 LPM concentrator so I think that with 2 concentrators or tanked oxy it would do much better. As it was I bought a minor and have had no problems with running it on my nat gas and 5 LPM concentrator but I still want to add a 2nd in the near future.

Edited to say: After reading Shawnette's post I have to add that it could be a problem with my concentrator, I have not figured out how to test it without buying a new one, lol .

Last edited by DawnT; 2005-08-28 at 8:50pm.
Old 2005-08-29, 4:30am
Professional Bead Pimp

Rose,

If you have a Nortel Minor, I sure wouldn't switch to a Mini CC. The loaner I had was over a year ago, and I did provide a lot of feedback to "The Carlise Guy" about it. Maybe they changed the design again ??

Bill

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-08-29, 8:31am

Great topic!
The Mini CC had some good things and bad things about it. First, it is a solid torch that will last a lifetime. It has a great flame for soft glass.... a little more gentle than a minor burner. It also can work small boro items fine. It's focus is good, and has a little longer fine flame than the minor. The down side is the valves get hot.
The Piranha........ whole new world. Better focus than any small surface mix torch! The flame is even nicer on color glass vrs the mini cc, yet has great heat to work a little bigger when you want to. If price is not a factor, you should get the Piranha.
Old 2005-08-29, 8:42am
I'm a lilac!

I agree that if you already have a Minor, the Mini is a lateral move and not an upgrade... I have three for teaching, and I love them but no more and no less than I love the Minor. The Pirhana, on the other hand, is a definite step up, and I think you'll love the heat and the flame control.

However, with only one oxycon, you are not realizing the full potential of your Minor, and you wouldn't be able to fully take advantage of the amazing heat a Pirhana can put out. My advice is to get a second oxycon and see what your Minor can do (you'll be amazed) and then, if you still want more heat, go to a Pirhana.

Old 2005-08-29, 9:11am
Safety ALWAYS

If you do go the Piranha route, you will definately *NEED* the 2nd oxy con, and I'd strongly recommend saving your pennies for a generator. The Piranha needs lots of oxygen, the higher the purity, the better.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-08-29, 9:36am
I'm a lilac!

Although I agree about needing two concentrators to get optimum performance, I must respectfully disagree about the generator/higher pressures... if it is correct that the Piranha (which I can never spell correctly) is essentially the same as the inner fire on a Barracuda, then I think it does extremely well at low pressure. Didn't Lewis Wilson say that he's found that the Barracuda actually performs much better at pressures lower than stated by Bethlehem? I don't know where to find that info, but I would swear that he posted that.

My personal experience, and that of my friend Paulette Insall, is that these torches run exceptionally well on two concentrators.

Old 2005-08-29, 10:34am
Safety ALWAYS

Ok - Kalera, I'm going to have to back to scratch and check on this - you've certainly got my brain cells circulating this morning.

I've been going by the manufacturer's recommendations, which for the Piranha, call for 15 to 20 PSI of oxygen or 272 liters per hour.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-08-29, 7:11pm

Well I'm looking at another used concentrator for right now. I do want to get a better torch. Just don't know what to buy yet. I wish I were close enough to a store to try them out. Then I would know for sure which ones I would like to buy. I was looking at the Piranah also. They seem to be what I'm after. I'm also looking to find a bag of money some where so I can do all of this. So the pennies have to be saved so I can do this. Also going to sell a flat bed trailer that has been setting in the yard. Any thing will help. What other types of torches do you all have or have tried. I'm liking the Piranah but still don't know.
Old 2005-08-29, 7:12pm

Oh yes. I didn't know we need to keep our oxycons running while we are out of the room for a little while. That means the propane is off. That way they don't have condensation build up in them.
Old 2005-09-03, 11:01pm
one day at a time

I love my Mini and I run it with a generator so it's super hot! I worked with a HH for so long that I never believed that I would become one of those beadmakers that likes to work "fast and really hot". Several lampworkers have mentioned that this is the way they like to work, and (lol!) I was a little intimidated at first! Sometimes it's too hot for me and if I don't watch it, I'll be dripping white hot molten glass all over place.

Anyway, tonight I made approx 90 beads (12-15mm, bigger than my usual!), and 4 round 20-22mm focals in 5 1/2 hours. Is that fast?? However, I am going to want more heat for boro eventually, so I was thinking about the Barracuda. Mainly because I believe my generator will power up that one well, not sure yet though.

The Mini's full capabilities are definitely hotter than those of the Minor I'm sure. Deb Crowley made her dragons with one a while back and she loved this torch. You can run it with one concentrator for soft glass, but I heard it's awesome with two and melts boro quite well.

Last edited by Lisi; 2005-09-03 at 11:08pm.