Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-08-25, 2:38pm

Default Torches?

I have a minor burner right at the moment. I would like to buy another torch to work in Boro along with some of the Moretti and Lausche. What do you all recomend. I do know that there are a lot of different likes and dislikes. I would not be able to buy the biggest fastest torch in the world at the moment. I looking for something that I can afford. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2005-08-29, 8:40am

I think the Lynx is one of the most popular to "step up" to after the smaller burners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-29, 8:57am
I'm a lilac!

Rose, you're on a concentrator, right? I would first suggest that you buy a second concentrator, because moving up to a different torch won't gain you much if you don't have the equipment to fuel it's potential, so to speak.

Also, a Minor on one concentrator is nowhere near the heat of a Minor on two concentrators. Your current torch is capable of working boro quite nicely, if it has enough oxygen to crank it up. Once you have that second concentrator, if you decide to upgrade to a Lynx or a Pirhana, then you'll have the ability to utilize their greater firepower. With one concentrator, neither will give you much greater performance than your Minor does now (and I don't think Lynxes perform well at all on one concentrator).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-29, 9:09am
Safety ALWAYS

To work boro, you are going to need a better supply of oxygen, even two concentrators on some torches won't cut it.

Most of the newer "next generation" torches are moving towards higher oxygen pressure requirements - the Bethlehem line is an example of this - they need solid oxygen pressures of 20 PSI to operate at "optimal" use. You can certainly use lower pressures, but the factory recommendation is 20 PSI.

If you need to stick with concentrators, I recommend sticking with the Nortel line and moving to the Midrange or Red Max. Both of these torches will operate quite nicely at lower oxygen pressures and with the bigger face and more ports will generate a lot more heat.

I have used both torches and found them to be quite good little torches for working small boro and medium sized soft glass bead and sculpture work.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-08-29, 9:16am
I'm a lilac!

Mike, I don't know if you've used a Barracuda on concentrators but they're remarkably efficient. I make large boro beads on a regular basis, and I work very hot and fast. I get better performance from the same two concentrators and my Barracuda than I did with my Midrange. I should take pics of my flame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
To work boro, you are going to need a better supply of oxygen, even two concentrators on some torches won't cut it.

Most of the newer "next generation" torches are moving towards higher oxygen pressure requirements - the Bethlehem line is an example of this - they need solid oxygen pressures of 20 PSI to operate at "optimal" use. You can certainly use lower pressures, but the factory recommendation is 20 PSI.

If you need to stick with concentrators, I recommend sticking with the Nortel line and moving to the Midrange or Red Max. Both of these torches will operate quite nicely at lower oxygen pressures and with the bigger face and more ports will generate a lot more heat.

I have used both torches and found them to be quite good little torches for working small boro and medium sized soft glass bead and sculpture work.

Last edited by Kalera; 2005-08-29 at 9:19am.
Old 2005-08-29, 10:28am
Safety ALWAYS

I'd like to see it Kalera - I've got a Barracuda at the studio, and I'm now running a Tiger Shark - I can't imagine running either on a pair of concentrators, especially after using them on Liquid Oxygen.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world