Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-11-14, 1:04pm
Trying to Hope!

Default Mapp Gas vs Hydro flame? are they the same thing?

There is no bulk mapp gas supplier near my home, however the welding supply company says that hydroflame is the smae thing and designed to work on mapp gas equipment. They said it has alot of the same additives as mapp gas but with no carbon ....will it work the same for beadmaking has anyone tried it before?
Old 2006-11-14, 3:44pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by WENDYKI View Post
There is no bulk mapp gas supplier near my home, however the welding supply company says that hydroflame is the smae thing and designed to work on mapp gas equipment. They said it has alot of the same additives as mapp gas but with no carbon ....will it work the same for beadmaking has anyone tried it before?
Funny thing is... I can find no reference to Hydroflame gas.... All references seem to turn up as hydrogen gas torch or a brand name for a particular manufacturer of a heater....

Need more information, this is first I have heard of hydroflame fuel gas. If it is a propriety product name for a cutting/brazing gas its does not show up in any search...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-11-14, 5:42pm
What, Me Worry?

No carbon? As in HydroXxxxxx? Did V-ger make it?

No it will not work if it has no carbon.

Use propane.

Me

Last edited by bhhco; 2006-11-14 at 5:53pm.
Old 2006-11-14, 5:43pm
Trying to Hope!

Default hydroflame

they say it is the same as mapp gas but with thier own name a little diffrent in the additives but as far as uses and temp it is the same they offered to let me take a 7.5 pound bottle home for a week to test it out I think i will do that after all what is the worst that can happen.....it doesnt work right
Old 2006-11-14, 6:09pm
What, Me Worry?

What is the worst that can happen?

Eat your hose for one.
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=219

Totally clog the HH orifice; melt the spud pressure screen, etc.

EVERY different fuel has a difference flame profile... that's why they are different fuels. Every flame profile requires a different techinque to find the 'sweet spot' on a one-gas torch. Every different technique you have to learn just to be able to use the torch leads to wasted gas, wasted glass, and wasted time (versus learning different techinques for different bead styles).

This is their own little concoction? Want to know how to make a flame hotter? Add acetylene or naptha to propane. Want to know how to cook a bead to a crisp? Add acetylene or naptha to propane. Want to know how to cut steel girders faster? ...You know the answer. But you cut those with a TWO-gas torch... not a HH.

Use propane. Use it now with the one-gas torch... use it later with the two-gas torch.

Me

Last edited by bhhco; 2006-11-14 at 6:16pm.
Old 2006-11-14, 8:40pm
Trying to Hope!

Great I will go with a regular propane tank then and hopefully after christmas move up to a better torch thanks