Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-11-22, 8:51pm
Noobie

Default Nortel red max

Hi, I am new to lampworking, taken only one class and am currently on a HH...I have the chance to buy a torch for 400...probly about 430 after shipping....I would like to learn to do small shapes...xmas, horses..work w/ boro and learn to made vessels eventually...my ? is....Is this a good price for this type of torch? And...what have others thought about this torch? Thanks
Old 2006-11-22, 8:57pm
In search of her path....

How old is the torch? You can pick one of these up new for around $495 I believe....so its not a bad price just depends on the condition...you want to make sure it has the surface mix minor top on it...its a great torch for boro work and doing larger work you can do some nice goblets and ornaments with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2006-11-22, 9:00pm
PyronamixK

That's a very good price for that torch if it's new. What does it have on top? It will either have a premix or a surface mix. If you are planning to work with soft glass, I would suggest the Minor Burner top mount. However, if you plan to do mostly boro and fume a lot, then you might prefer the premix tip.
Old 2006-11-22, 10:03pm
Noobie

This is what is written about this torch. I understand that I wont be able to get the full heating power w/ the bottom w/o a concentrator??, but could use the top portion until I get one.

I hate to part with this extra torch. I bought it in 2005. I used the Minor on top mostly for beads, and the bottom for making complex Murini, for 6 months.
It is too hot to torch in Az without air conditioning, in my garage studio for ½ the year.
This is the Caddy of Torches. The Red Max was re-engineered in 2005. This torch is a Surface Mix, Minor on Top and a Major on the bottom.
The Major is the 48port round face, is quieter than the old version, and has less carbon build-up.
This Red Max has lots of power for the dollar.
Price New is $499, plus the cost of hoses- $25.00
I have a marver for the torch which is not inculuded. It is $20.00.
Terms:
You pay shipping, with signature confirmation
Old 2006-11-22, 10:26pm
In search of her path....

Yea thats a good torch you wont want to run the bottom torch on a regular 5lpm concentrator though the minor part you can just fine but the bottom part you will probally want to run on tanked O2" for optimal performance though there are some higher end oxy generating units out now that can run it it wont really run them at 100% 80-90% but not at 100% but for the Price of them its just a weigh your options kind of thing hehe anyway You may want to check out the Units called Hurricanes and Tornados from Oxygen Unlimited I believe one of them have the PSI output as well as the LPM output you will need to run this at more of the optimal output for your torch ( the bottom half) though I think these units do have outputs to run more than one torch so you probally can run the top and bottom off the same unit again Im not positive though. They run well over $1000 though one of them is even upwards of 1900 I think...So its a toss up but you do go through alot of oxy but you can rent a 225 CF tank for about $7 a month and its about $10-14 per fill usually at least around me is what it was BUT I was going through at least 1 of those per 8hr -10hr session on my cheetah.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-11-23, 9:04am
ManBearPig

I have several Nortel torches around here. Several Minors, a MidRange, a Major, and a Red Max. A Minor will run well on a single concentrator, Two concentrators will run it for all its worth.

A MidRange (the large flame) will run about 70-75% on two concentrators. A Red Max will run maybe 40% on two concentrators. If you are considering it, tanked or liquid oxygen is the only way to go.

Old 2006-11-23, 9:52am

I love my redmax.
Old 2006-12-11, 4:03pm

I have a redmax. I have to tell you, I don't think that I'll ever sell my Redmax. It really is a nice torch. I do have a Mirage that's coming in a few weeks though.
Old 2006-12-18, 4:52am
product of the universe

I wish i hadn't sold my redmax. I'm sure i'll get another one some day.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.