Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-11-23, 9:58am
Dangerous Woman

Default If it's not one thing it's another!

I had the gas company come and run a pipe from the huge propane tank (we heat the house and etc with propane and have a 1000 gallon tank) we have in the back yard to the garage so I could hook up my Lynx. This was last summer. The problem then was that the regulator wouldn't fit to the pipe end and the gas guy didn't have an adaptor to make it fit. A buddy that does gas work stoped by and told me what I needed. I went to a gas place and they told me what I wanted didn't exist. Then we got our garage worked on and the contractor said he could fix me up. Well he was able to get my regulator hooked up to the pipe. Now the problem is that I have no pressure. Does everyone go thru this, or is it just me? They say now I need the gas company to come back out and run an unregulated line straight from the tank. Does this sound right? I have been anxiously waiting to get my Lynx hooked up since last Memorial day. I thought I would finally be hooked up by yesterday and now I'm just bummed. So all you pros, any advice? Am I doing something wrong?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-11-23, 10:35am
Gentleman of Leisure

IS there a shut off valve you have forgot to open between tank and torch or one you were not aware of????

I double you can get a unregulated line run to house by any gas installer....

Here is what I would do if possible.... Have a intermediate pressure regulator installed on tank... Say a 5 or 10 psi regulator.... Just before line enters house put a "TEE" in line and stub off the 5 or 10 psi pressure fuel towards torch... Just past "tee" install a standard low pressure regulator (1/4 to 1/3 psi or a7- 10 inches of water) and continue run to house appliances ...

NFPA prohibits bringing propane into house at any level over 20psi .. In some areas local codes are even less....

Be aware that most welding style fuel regulators come with a CGA 510 connector... You can (1) remove CGA connector from welding style regulator and replace connection with a 1/4 inch NPT connector or (2) get a CGA 510 adapter (female) adapter so standard regulator connection can be uses with LPG line.... - IT amounts to your guy that says a way to connect thing together does not exist is just plain wrong... He just does not know how to do it and won't research it or admit it.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-11-23 at 3:38pm.
Old 2006-11-23, 1:02pm
Dangerous Woman

Thanks Dale. I 'll have DH and the contractor read your post. I'm sure we'll get something worked out eventually. I was so so psyched about FINALLY getting my torch hooked up that it really bummed me out. I really apreciate your diagram! As for the guy at the gas store - I think he saw a woman asking about gas stuff and wasn't going to waste his time. He said I couldn't get an O2 hose either. That I had to get a pair of hoses. As soon as I mentioned my concentrator he got all "We can't do anything with medicinal O2." And when I mentioned a torch........ah, well I'll leave the poor guy alone.

Thanks for the info!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-11-23, 3:37pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
Thanks Dale. I 'll have DH and the contractor read your post. I'm sure we'll get something worked out eventually. I was so so psyched about FINALLY getting my torch hooked up that it really bummed me out. I really apreciate your diagram! As for the guy at the gas store - I think he saw a woman asking about gas stuff and wasn't going to waste his time. He said I couldn't get an O2 hose either. That I had to get a pair of hoses. As soon as I mentioned my concentrator he got all "We can't do anything with medicinal O2." And when I mentioned a torch........ah, well I'll leave the poor guy alone.

Thanks for the info!
Find different supplier... NO all of then have mental blocks....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal