Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-03-30, 9:56am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

That's about what I expected to hear. So it really doesn't make a difference what the reg is set at as long as you control the propane at one place or the other.

I did lower my reg to around 5 last night, and retested with Amazon Night. I let the oxycons run for about 10 minutes before testing to let the purity get to its best and then melted the end of the amazon night into a ball. I tried at at a number of different settings and either got heavy metallic or a dark grey ashy looking result. Didn't look anywhere near neutral to me on the glass, but the flame was either all blue or just the smallest tips of yellow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-03-30, 10:01am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Also, I did check how far out I am working and I am actually working about 3.5 to 4 inches out when I use my normal settings with is about 3.5 on each oxycon and a neutral flame.

When I cranked the oxy up to 4.5 on each oxycon (and also turned up the propane), the candles got much longer, about 3/4" long and the flame got smaller, so I had to really come in to get heat - about 2" from the face of the torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-03-30, 11:47am

Henry also told us in class that if our flame is reducing to cut the propane setting by half (I think. My notes aren't in front of me.). Ya'd have to ask him the "why" part of it!!
Are any of your moretti colors reducing...like turquoise?

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-30, 11:50am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

he he - I don't really use Moretti - I only have about 15 colors and I don't think that is one of them . I use mostly BE and some different ~96 COES glass. I am not having trouble with any other glass.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-03-30, 1:19pm

I know with the national that I had I had to run my propane at the tank at 2 psi or I would get carbon on the face of the torch and I would be more of a reducing flame. I wonder if that would work for you?
Wasn't there a talk the other day that if you have 2 oxy cons and they are different pressures there is something you can get that goes in the line to make the presures the same or at least they would run better

Old 2007-03-30, 1:20pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

it's some type of back-pressure thingamajoggy. I am looking into one But even with just one oxycon hooked up, my Amazon Night reduces.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-04-01, 9:50pm

I would email them a photo and ask if they have any advice!!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-04-02, 6:28am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
I would email them a photo and ask if they have any advice!!

Paula
good idea!

DOG is my co-pilot