Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-09-24, 1:36am
Kinder Gentler Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Cooper
AHA! Thanks for the pics. (Is that frost on that tank??) I think you're right about the overkill in my case. I'm always open to an education, tho.

H
yes, its really engnious though, its a smaller tank in the center like the size of a propane tank, full of super compressed liquid oxygen, then its surounded by liquid nitrogen, to keep it condensed, . when you use the osxy it releases the nitrogen too, causing condensation, it was 78 degrees when I took that pic, so don't stick your tounge to it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-09-24, 1:38am
Kinder Gentler Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin's Glass Eye
I currently use a Lynx with propane and one oxycon. Occasionally I use tanked Oxy for larger Boro pieces. A second oxycon is on the way so I can return the oxy bottle - 80 cu-ft 'J' tank gives me about 8 hours on my Lynx with regulator set at at 5 psig. A refill is $15.00.

GTT makes some very high quality equipment. Their torches are very efficient and keep cool. Somewhat pricey but you get what you pay for. I love my Lynx because of the control it gives. With enough Oxy I can do a 1.5" Boro marble in a reasonable amount of time. I can also still use it for soft glass. So I guess what I'm saying is GTT Lynx = flexibility + capability + efficiency + quality.

I used a Hot Head for over two years and a Nortel Minor for one year. Each torch has it's advantages. I'd recommend baby steps as you advance your skills and equipment. Being underpowered is a tremendous advantage when learning new things because it forces you to be patient. Less heat is advantageous because you can more easily maintain control of the flow of the glass. Anyone who has gone from a Hot Head to a Minor or Lynx knows exactly what I'm saying.

This winter or next spring I'll be going pro with a GTT Mirage, foot pedals, 100 LB propane tank, liquid Oxy and a 'real' studio complete with booming audio, and light shows, wooooooo hooooooooo! Can't wait ! ! ! ! ! Flame off's once a month. You bring the beer.

I liked the lynx, I just didnt like there was no centerfire, plus like I siad, I was spoiled, I had my apprintaceship on a cc+ so I always had that huge hot flame... and nothing like the "pop" of a carslile to make people stain there shorts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-09-24, 2:04am

I spent a year and a half on a HH than switched to a minor. I switched because a) I wanted to melt glass faster, and b) I hated throwing away 1lb cylinders and couldn't figure out away I could safely set up a bulk tank in me 2nd floor workshop. My studio location had a large impact on my torch choice. With my upstairs location I kept picturing turning off the propane, running through my bedroom, downstairs, through the living room and kitchen, out the back to turn off the propane. Reverse that to bleed the line. I figured I'd get distracted by kids or pets or my own feeble mind and not get the propane shut off properly--- kaboom! Then there was the issue of heading out back in snowstorms to turn the gas on and off. Since the propane option seemed unsafe to me, I needed a torch that could run on natural gas. I also wanted one that would run on a concentrator because there was no way I would be hauling big oxygen tanks up and down my oak staircase. The nortel torches run on residential pressure NG, which made them a good choice. The minor has a reputation of being a solid work horse used for many years by many beadmakers so I went with that. The GTT torches seemed very popular at the time, but I got the impression that they might be a bit more maintanance finicky than a minor, and other than a bobcat which may run on NG (I'm still not sure about this) I would have needed to use propane, which as I said, was not an option for me. If you are concerned with upgradability the midrange plus may a good choice... it's a midrange with a minor on top. I really considered this choice, but running the midrange half would have required a second concentrator, and between the torch, concentrator and NG line I was spending enough already so I decided to "stop the maddness" and just got the minor.

I got to use the mini CC in June, it seemed like a nice torch. It had a bushier flame, which is nice for big beads, vessels and hollows etc. but I think I'd miss my minors small flame for many things. It is also cheap, if that is important. I've toyed with getting one as a second torch for when I want that sort of flame. One good thing about both the minor and mini CC is that they are both relatively inexpensive. I'd hate to spend a big bucks on an expensive torch with out a good test drive first. At the cost of those two torches I wouldn't feel too guilty using one for a couple of years than trading up.

I wish it were possible to go some where and test drive torches!!! I'm sure they all have their advantages/disadvantages depending on how you like to work and what you like to make. I can picture myself wanting something different (bigger)in the future, but since this is a hobby I just can't justify the expense especially with out being to test drive a few kinds.

One thing I will sayfor sure is that I love using NG and a concentrator. It is great to stand by my torch and and get an endless supply of both gasses with the flip of a switch and turn of a knob. My gas line was spendy, ~$500 to run it from my crawlspace to my second floor, including the piping to hook it to my torch and 3 shut off valves. But I didn't need to spend money on regulators, a propane tank and LONG hoses so that defrayed the cost a bit. Between the convienence and my piece of mind regarding safety, it was definately worth every penny.
Old 2005-09-24, 2:08am
Kinder Gentler Sociopath

Speaking of testing torches, I do know that Kristian at generations glass, is more than happy to let you test out his torch, or anything he may have at his shop. He is awesome, and is always willing to help out anyway he can

Old 2005-09-24, 2:10am

Id also like to add that Holly, I just love, love, love your beads!!!! Proof once again that there is absolutely nothing wrong with working on a HH!!!! It's really about the BEADS isn't it? And the CREATING! How you get there is not the important part.
Old 2005-09-24, 2:26am
Bad Machine

Smile

I use a Nortel Redmax. I have a 12-hole tip on the pre-mix minor top burner, and the bottom Redmax Face. Before this I had a Nortel major torch, but I have tried any others.

Wen i realized that i did just fine without a center fire, and could handle the piggybacked torch OK, I went for the Max, great torch for the Money, and comparible to a Carlysle in heat.
Attached Images

Old 2005-09-24, 5:26am
Common Lurker

I'll weigh-in with my Bobcat.
I learned on an HH, but soon became impatient... I needed more heat! =}
And I hated using the MAPP canisters. Costly and kind of a pain.
Did my due diligence, and decided on the Bobcat. I would have loved the Lynx, but it wasn't in the budget, as I had to purchase the kiln and oxycon too.
Love it! Quiet! I really didn't know the HH was loud until I used the Bobcat.
I'm only using ~96-104coe glasses, and don't foresee Boro in my near future.
So, I'm very content.

Last edited by DiPat; 2005-09-24 at 5:28am.
Old 2005-09-24, 5:30am
CA Queen Bitch

I love Betty June, my flaming Bitchacuda! I have 1 oxy generator and I still need extra oxy to run the outter ring. Cool torch though, no complaints what so ever.
~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-24, 5:46am
boro color bender

I'm on a GTT Mirage. it's the perfect torch for me... It goes as large as I need it to, but I can go really tiny too. Hands down, I think it's the most versatile boro torch... for soft glass and boro mixed, I would have the Bethlehem cuda.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-09-24, 6:08am
sunscreen me baby

I am on a Minor but am thinking about something hotter with a wider flame. Well I actually just want a wider flame but if I upgrade I'm going to want hotter so I can try Boro.
I started with a plumbers torch. That lasted one session. My husband had a territory problem with me using his things I then took a class and we used a hot head which we got to take home. It was loud. I hate noise. Just ask my kids. So after about 10 mapp canisters I moved up to the Minor. I never thought I couldn't make a hot head work I just didn't like the noise.

~

Old 2005-09-24, 6:08am
Just me

Hi Holly,
How are you girlfriend?
Thank you, thank you, thank you for starting this great thread and for everyone's replies! I am learning so much and am getting the info I need to make an informed decision.

I am on a HH and have no gripes about it except for time. I don't get much time to make beads and standing around waiting for a lg bead to melt (cause I make em big!) just doesn't seem very efficient. I mostly make large focal encased florals and am interested in getting reactions with silver and frit. Reactions are fun. Small boro is also something I could see in my future.

We are currently saving up to buy a new set up and I know so little about this stuff it's almost scary. Reading everyones opinion and hearing the reasons they chose their torches has been incredibly helpful. Please keep them coming.

Shawn, I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Piranha.

Anyone else with a piranha please give us the low down. This is the choice I'm leaning towards. Thanks in advance.

Okay the cuda is also starting to sound good. Big price jump though = more time saving moola. How patient can I be?

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2005-09-24 at 6:15am.
Old 2005-09-24, 6:27am
On the flippity flop

I used a Hot Head for several months. It did the job, but was very slow. I recently bought a Piranha and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. It was a learning curve, because it is much hotter, but it is absolutely a fantastic torch. I have worked on a Minor and a Mini CC also and the Piranha just appealed to me more/fit my needs better. I can do small boro work. It will run on oxy cons. And Lori Robbins has a pretty good deal on them
http://www.lorirobbins.com/Supplies.htm

Though you won't get out of there cheap if you look at her website! The creation station and pull my stringer are absofrikenlutely awsome (well worth the $$).

I wouldn't trade my Piranha for anything....well maybe a 'cuda someday, but right now I am totally in love with this torch.

I hope this helps with your Piranha info needs, Babs. If you have any other questions, just PM me or something.

Jeannette
Old 2005-09-24, 6:52am

Holly,
I used a HH for a few months. I hated getting those little takes of Mapp. When I compared the cost of a larger tank, regulators, hoses, etc. it made more sense and less hassle (hauling tanks) for me to switch to a direct connect to the house lp and an oxy con. I picked the Piranha because it seemed to be a slight step up from a minor (thinking a little bit ahead). If and when I get ready for boro it should handle it on one concentrator. It also runs very economically. I LOVE it!! It is so nice and quiet, plus I just flip open the gas shut off, push the button on the oxy con and light up. No ice ups, tanks and the music doesn't have to be turned up so loud the whole house has to listen.
Kay
Old 2005-09-24, 7:13am
Just me

Yesssss! Thank you! I keep hearing good things about the piranha and so far, I'm sold. Saving that link...where's my credit card?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizsmom
I used a Hot Head for several months. It did the job, but was very slow. I recently bought a Piranha and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. It was a learning curve, because it is much hotter, but it is absolutely a fantastic torch. I have worked on a Minor and a Mini CC also and the Piranha just appealed to me more/fit my needs better. I can do small boro work. It will run on oxy cons. And Lori Robbins has a pretty good deal on them
http://www.lorirobbins.com/Supplies.htm

Though you won't get out of there cheap if you look at her website! The creation station and pull my stringer are absofrikenlutely awsome (well worth the $$).

I wouldn't trade my Piranha for anything....well maybe a 'cuda someday, but right now I am totally in love with this torch.

I hope this helps with your Piranha info needs, Babs. If you have any other questions, just PM me or something.

Jeannette

Old 2005-09-24, 7:22am
Booger #7

I'll put my 2 cents in too on this one...I worked on a HH for over a year until I got my Mini CC from Carlisle and I love it!!! I am adding a second concentrator because it is a little bit of an oxy hog, but I have had not one iota of trouble with it.....you have a nice wide flame and can get a teeny little pinpoint too and it is cheap!!!!! If I had it to do over again I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

Old 2005-09-24, 7:27am
Kinder Gentler Sociopath

you can never go wrong with a beth, any make, any modelor GTT, or Carslise... but Im a beth junkie

Old 2005-09-24, 7:32am

I started on a hot head and the noise was to much. I have a lynx. I started with tanked O2 but soon went to a concentrator. Worked great for soft glass. I added another concentrator and it is even better.
If I were you I would go for the best torch I could afford that way you won't have to move up again if you get interested in boro.

Old 2005-09-24, 7:37am

I started on a hothead too. Didn't like the noise, the muddy colors, changing the itty bitty tanks, but it was a good learning experience and an inexpensive way to get to know melting glass a little bit. Evidently I wasn't doing something right with it because I see the gorgeous beads peeps make with a hothead and man! Now I have a Mini-CC. It was pretty inexpensive too, but I'm very happy with it. I'm taking a class at Carlisle next month and just KNOW I'll be checking out the Wildcat or the other new one, but for now it's all good. I have residential NG and had one oxycon, but recently got another one.

Old 2005-09-24, 7:37am
one day at a time

I was using my HH for 18 months and then about 7 months ago I made the switch to the Mini CC. I run this torch with an Airsep AS-12A generator and it's very hot, and I mean TOO hot sometimes! I'm talking about glass that drips off the mandrel like honey if you don't watch it! Since I got this torch, I've noticed that I get my work done twice as fast. Not kidding - what used to be 8 hours worth of beads, I can get the same kinds of beads done in 3-4 hours. Woohoo!!

My generator puts out 15-18psi so it should run a bigger torch, I'm sure. I like the Mini for small boro (just getting started with boro), but I know I'm definitely going to need more heat for bigger stuff. A Phantom (with foot pedal control o2 for the outer fire) is a long way off, but right now I'm planning what I'm going to do with this year's tax return. I'm torn between a Barracuda or a Lynx, sigh.....so many options, it's driving me crazy. I need to try them out before I make a decision! My generator is good for the Lynx, but I'll have to check the specs on it and the 'Cuda.

The Mini CC has a pretty good adjustable flame and it puts out a lot of radiant heat which is good for long beads, vessels, and sculptures. It's doesn't have as sharp a flame as the GTTs and Beths, I don't think. Not sure, but it seems to me that those torches have a "sharper" flame which I would like for dots and stringer control. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please, lol!
Old 2005-09-24, 8:07am
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin's Glass Eye
I

Being underpowered is a tremendous advantage when learning new things because it forces you to be patient. Less heat is advantageous because you can more easily maintain control of the flow of the glass. Anyone who has gone from a Hot Head to a Minor or Lynx knows exactly what I'm saying.

This winter or next spring I'll be going pro with a GTT Mirage, foot pedals, 100 LB propane tank, liquid Oxy and a 'real' studio complete with booming audio, and light shows, wooooooo hooooooooo! Can't wait ! ! ! ! ! Flame off's once a month. You bring the beer.
Brad, you are so smart!!! I never thought about an advantage to being underpowered. Right on. And I do hope you will let me come and help you set that new studio up. FUN!!!!!

~
~
Old 2005-09-24, 9:32am

Okay, I hope that this post will be received in the way it was written: a gentil loving opinion - from the woman who owns and has worked on the following torches (yes, I STILL own them all! I can take pictures if you like!). I am listing them in the order I purchased them:

Nortel Minor Burner
Lynx
Bobcat
Isiheat
Piranha
Wale Firebird
Carlisle Mini CC
Carlisle Bunsen Burner
Hothead.

Are you impressed? Looks like a torch-vendors showroom in my studio. Here are my impressions/opinions. Sentences in Italics are "borrowed" from a variety of websites (thanks to ABR Imagery, Flametree Glass and Wale Apparatus). Hope you guys don't mind!

Minor: Pros: Always liked the Minor Burner, it's relatively cheap (around $ 169) , next to indestructible, most studios have it, so, if you work "away from home" you don't have to get used to a different flame type or temperature range. Very solid torch, can't tell about the customer service of Nortel, since it never broke down. The Minor Bench Burner is one of Nortel's most popular surface mix torches. Economically priced, the Minor allows professionals and beginners alike to work with power greater than the Hot Head. The small stature of the Minor is standarized for making beads, marbles and small sculptural work. The Minor accommodates flame sizes from approximately 1/8" to 3/4" diameter. Bought about 5 of those over time to give to friends. Cons: the barrel gets hot and I can't rest my hands on the torch, which I like to do to steady my hands when applying dots.

Lynx: Seven jet, triple surface mix torch. Perfect for lampwork bead making, with hard or soft glass! This torch is a little powerhouse! G.T.T.'s creation of their patented Triple Surface Mix Technology makes their torches hotter (Getting more BTUs out of propane than any other oxygen/propane torch on the mareket today, even a higher BTU output than oxygen/hydrogen torches is achieved with this technology. These torches burn cleaner, and have more flame characteristics than any other torch on the market today. This is the first triple surface mix size in the line up of G.T.T.'s triple surface mix torches, and serves as the center fire for all the larger two and three stage G.T.T. torches.
I bought the Lynx (which at about $ 435 is on the expensive side) because I learned to make miniature paperweights from Loren Stump and thought that I would need a torch that is able to get a very small sharp flame. After my class, I never made another mini-paperweight, so, that feature of the Lynx was not important to me. Pros: very quiet torch that gets very HOT if you want it to. Great for Boro-work, if you have the bottled oxygen to back it up. The torch is very cold, great for steading those hands on. Con: While I love my GTT (Glass Torch Technologies, manufacturer, the two most adorable twins in the world, Willie and Wallie) torches, they have several "issues". In the first 6-8 month, depending on how much you work, the valves re-adjust themselves...I think it has to do with the material that is used, it expands for a while, until it's broken in. That means, you have to add propane or oxygen while you work, because the flame gets smaller and smaller. That takes some getting used to, but no big deal. The major drawback for me was the fact that the Lynx does not like the kind of small flame I use to work with, so the torch "cloggs up" after a while. You see small glowing dots forming on the top of the torch, which I think is a carbon build-up, stemming from the fact that the propane does not get burned properly when the flame is too small. Talked about this with Willie, and he basically told me to turn the flame up - the center flame (the cones) should be at least 1/2 inch long. If I turn my torch up that high, the flame is way too hot for my taste...So, I kept running it on a small flame, with the result that my jets got dirty and I had to send the torch in for cleaning. Willie and Wallie are great guys, but they are not the most organized, so, in order to have a "back-up" torch while they were cleaning my Lynx, I bought a Bobcat. Which brings me to the next "review":

Bobcat: Seven jet standard surface mix torch for beadmaking and small to medium borosilicate work. Retails for about $ 195.
Same pros and cons as the Lynx...basically, as long as you don't turn on the second oxygen valve on the Lynx, the Bobcat and the Lynx are the same torch! With the same issues...so, now one of my torches is always at service at GTT - the Bobcat is still out of my hands, I think Willie and Wallie have forgotten to send it back, which I JUST realized. Better give them a call.

Isiheat: This is one of the few torches I received for free. It's manufactures in Germany by a company named Arnold, and it was named after "Isi", a German beadmaker and supplier for glass and tools. The only torch I truely dislike, the flame is horrible, it "spills" over the tip of the torch, but it could also be that the model I received was faulty...maybe that's the reason why I got it for free. I never ever mentioned that torch on my website...but since I wanted to give you the entire range of my collection, now I said it! Sorry Isi, I don't mean any disrespect to your baby. It was initially meant to be an economic torch for the German market, since the Minor that was typically available in Germany ended up costing over $ 250 once it arrived at the German suppliers (taxes, duty, shipping etc.) - but somehow they must have miscalculated, since the price of the Isiheat was consequently raised and now it costs more then the minor. No reason whatsoever to buy this torch.

Piranha: Made in the US by BETHLEHEM. A fairly new torch that is supposed to cater to the people who use the Minor. Was highly recommended to me by a friend in Florida (Heather Ferman) - so I bought it when it was on special at Art Glass House. I think I paid about $ 190, usually it sells for around $ 250. It's surface mix torch for working soft or borosilicate glass with 6 ports in a pentagon shape. The Piranha has a versitle flame size from needle sharp up to 15mm in diameter. The face diameter is 3/8". This torch can be removed easily from its base to be used as a handtorch or lathe burner. I used it once, and I didn't like it because of the BODY size. For the flame size the torch is really big and "bulky" - and I couldn't get my hand close enough to the tip of the torch. So, there is nothing good or bad that I can say about working with it, it's a personal choice, I think a guy might like this torch better BECAUSE of the size. It's a little "macho"....

Wale Firebird: Small bench burner with nine fuel tubes. This small bench burner has two different diameter propane tubes and square oxygen holes.
It has hardened, spherically shaped valve stem tips, lapped to a 00 micro inch finish...
The FIREBIRD was designed specifically with the needs of the artistic and scientific flameworker in mind. A multi-purpose torch, it will work both soft and borosilicate glass with ease. The torch is surface mixed yielding you a very safe, quiet and versatile flame. All of its critical components are made of stainless steel. Don't be fooled by its size! Because of Wale's unique design on this burner you will be amazed at the size of borosilicate glass you can work. You can obtain virtually any flame diameter from a small pinpoint to a soft bushy annealing flame.
I bought this torch directly from Wale...(speaking of that, I think the deal I made with Mike DeMasi is that if I like it, I keep it and pay for it, if I don't like it, I send it back...I haven't used it much, so, I think I have to make up my mind what to do about it. Basically it is similar to the Lynx/Bobcat, can't tell whether it has the same "issues", but I think it might be a little less "fickle", though I haven't used it enough to tell. The price is around $ 245, so, it's a little on the expensive side.

Bunsen Burner: Carlisle's Bunsen Burners are manufactured from brass and are nickel plated. The Bunsen Burner bases are manufactured out of steel. Designed for use with Propane. The Bunsen Burner #130 is the largest of the single head Bunsen Burners available from Carlisle MachineWorks, and comes equipped with a heat intensifying head made of perforated metal - allowing for a very stable and broad flame. 8 3/4" High with a base width of 3 1/2". Integral Hose adapter that fits from 1/4" to 3/8" ID hosing included. I bought this torch after my workshop with Lucio Bubacco, haven't used it yet, but I don't plan to use it for making beads, but to build a "miniature glory hole", by building a simple "housing" with firebricks and putting a steel plate on top (Lucio is using the steel plate from his mother's iron! Very stylish.) We used this setup to preheat parts that we wanted to apply to beads, and the space between the torch head and the steelplate is a wonderful heat to gently heat the entire bead without getting a lot of direct heat onto the raised detail. For people who make huge beads this might be a great little addition on their workbench. All you need is an extra propane tank, not even a regulator, so the investment is minimal, since this torch sells for less then $ 100...

Carlisle Mini CC: When Carlisle first set out to create the Mini CC, their goals were simple. Create a burner that is suitable for producing soft glass beads and smaller borosilicate work, that featured the durability that Carlisle is well known for. When the Mini CC went from concept to production, Carlisle found that they had produced a burner that boasted a new flame profile that is revolutionizing the soft glass torch market.

Using a very different flame pattern from many of the other torches in its class, the Mini CC presents an extremely hot flame that is also very bushy. This bushy flame creates a soft working environment that also provides superior radiant heat, giving the ability to work with larger soft glass pieces with a reduced chance of thermal shock. With a versatile flame atmosphere that can be set for reduction, neutral or oxidizing flames, the Mini CC presents a quick and easy way to produce the many color effects of today’s glass artist. The raw firepower of the Mini CC is quite impressive, and capable of working borosilicate glass for beads and small sculpture.

Built with a very durable design, the Mini CC features a brass housing, stainless steel tube matrix of 7 fuel gas ports, and a stainless steel base with mounting holes. For the adjustment of the torch head angle, a ball joint is attached between the torch head and the base, allowing for 15 degrees of adjustment in any direction.

Carlisle continued to add to the allure of the Mini CC by offering a free Instructional DVD with every torch sold. This DVD not only visually shows the user how to achieve all of the many desired flames, but also incorporates 5 demonstrations by Doug Remschneider. This DVD rounds out the Mini CC as truly one of the most exciting
entry-level torches available on the market today.
I copied this from Wale Apparatus website (www.waleapparatus.com), and there is absolutely nothing I can add to this description. It's my torch of choice! I have bought 15 of these torches so far, to use in my private classes, and almost every student bought the torch they have used. I get wholesale price from Carlisle and can offer these to people who are interested at a great price (less than the standard retail price of $ 189, which I won't say in public because I don't want my wholesale friends to think that I am trying to undercut their business...) I love my Mini CC, one of those "C"s might actually stand for CORINA....

Hothead...no comment on that one right now...there is a separate thread on this torch where all has been said.

As for the "usability" of these torches with Oxygen Concentrators/Generators: I use a generator myself (an Oxybox 15, which is relatively expensive at $ 2000, but I'm a "pro" and I need the extra umph it gives me. I can even run two Mini CCs at the same time, which is wonderful when I have a student over or a friend who comes to play. I also have a $ 300 refurbished medical concentrator (from www.suncoastbeads.com) - which runs both the Minor Burner and the Mini CC just fine (only ONE torch at a time though!).

My recommendation for beginners: Get a cheap concentrator and a Carlisle Mini CC or a Minor. If I had to make a choice between a Minor and a Mini CC, it would be the Mini CC, because the torch is QUIETER than the Minor, and the range of flame is wider...meaning, you can get a smaller flame and a wider flame both. And getting the DVD in the package is a great helpful bonus that is well worth the extra $ 20 you have to spend for the Mini CC. And no, I don't get paid by Carlisle to say these things...but hey, there is a thought!

Old 2005-09-24, 9:34am
The Crazy One

I started on a minor because of the frustration I had read from some HH users. I just recently got a mini cc and I love the flame it's hoter and bushier allowing me to work boro and it helps with the sculptural stuff I do. I have tanked O2 and am expecting delivery of 2 concentrators. I would love to try the Pirahna because it uses less O2, but that ain't gonna happen for a loooooooong time!
Old 2005-09-24, 9:59am

I have both the Lynx and the Cheeta but I personally use the Lynx/Oxy+ Generator. This allows me to go back and forth in flame size.

Barb
Old 2005-09-24, 10:19am
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Back at ya Chris!
Thanks for responding with just the kind of useful info I was looking for!
I'm not keen on the tanks, either.
Can you get a soft bushy flame with your minor?
I've never used anything but a Minor, so I don't know how the flame compares to other torches.

Old 2005-09-24, 10:23am
Goddess

Great responses everyone, very helpful. I am currently on a HH but want to upgrade as soon as I can. I was considering a Minor, a Bobcat, a Piranha, an Isiheat (because it is made locally), or the Mini CC.

Thanks so much Corina for your review of the Isiheat. I was sort of leery about this torch to begin with, it is alot more expensive than the others but hey it is made here, you helped me rule that one out, I should always trust my intuition!

If the Piranha is that big and bulky, I don't want that either. I have a really small area to work in and a smaller more streamlined torch body would be a better choice for me. So maybe that one is ruled out also, even though I have heard some really great things about it.

Right now I am leaning more toward the Mini CC I think. I want a torch that will do well with only one concentrator, doesn't take up a whole lot of space on my table, and isn't fussy about my choice in flame size or shape. I will probably never work with boro so that isn't an issue. What I really want is the extra heat so I can work faster. Less noise would be nice too.

Old 2005-09-24, 10:41am
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Fantastic! New info- "a bigger flame". This is a new idea for me and I think it may be important for my needs if it is useful for larger/longer beads.
The pinpoint flame of the minor seems great for smaller beads (or not?)
but I'm not sure about it for long/large beads.
Thanks Karen, and have fun torching tomorrow!
The longest bead I've made on my Minor is 2 2/4" long. I did crack one end, but was able to repair it. The pinpoint flame is good for detail work.

Old 2005-09-24, 10:52am
Mary Lockwood

I was on a Hothead for almost 2 years.

When I was ready to upgrade, I did a LOT of research and a LOT of asking around.

I had decided on the RedMax.

I was so used to the slowness and coolness of the HH that I was intimidated by that much heat, AND money...so I bought a minor.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the minor, but 7 months later, I wish I had gotten the RedMax. I am already wishing I had more heat.

Right now I am debating on whether or not to get another concentrator to boost the minor or to wait and get the RedMax (or some other heat pimp) after the holidays. OR both!

~~Mary

Old 2005-09-24, 11:16am
Fire Monkey

Dwaine,
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaine Scum
don't stick your tounge to it
Plus this:

equals snort-like giggle.
And I loves me a little back fur.
Thanks
Now... back to business, I have a lot to read here.
Old 2005-09-24, 11:21am
Fire Monkey

You are scaring me.
It's awesome, but frightening at the same time.
OK- now I see the turn-on and the passion for fire.
It's kind of primal.
H

Last edited by Holly; 2005-09-24 at 11:59am.
Old 2005-09-24, 11:45am
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth
I was on a Hothead for almost 2 years.

When I was ready to upgrade, I did a LOT of research and a LOT of asking around.

I had decided on the RedMax.

I was so used to the slowness and coolness of the HH that I was intimidated by that much heat, AND money...so I bought a minor.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the minor, but 7 months later, I wish I had gotten the RedMax. I am already wishing I had more heat.

Right now I am debating on whether or not to get another concentrator to boost the minor or to wait and get the RedMax (or some other heat pimp) after the holidays. OR both!

~~Mary
Mary,
This is exactly where I was, debatating on wheater I should buy another concentrator to boost my minor or buy another torch.