Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-11-02, 7:57am

Default Ready for a big girl torch

I am ready to take the leap up form map gas to a new torch. I was thinkng of the Gtt bobcat. I would use propane and an oxygen concetrator. Can anyone tell me what I will need to set it up. How hard is it to do. I would be using it in the garage. Propane would be outside. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ann
Old 2007-11-02, 8:19am
Gentleman of Leisure

Here is a write up on setting up a oxygen/fuel torch.... No its not for the specific torch you are pondering but it will provide a general back ground that is pretty much applicable to style of torch you desire...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12

Also more information....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-11-02, 8:31am
Missing presumed fed

Bobcat is an excellent choice (lots of good torches, but Bobcat is good), and will run on one concentrator. You'll need hoses for propane and oxy (you can probably get them attached to the torch by the supplier you buy your torch from, but it's not hard to attach them yourself if you have to -- you need hose clamps from the hardware store), and a propane regulator. Because you're getting a concentrator, you don't need a regulator for the oxy. You can get a quick-connect (also called a quick disconnect) if you're going to hook and unhook your hose from your propane every time you use it. It's a convenience but not necessary. If you get one, get the kind that fits between the regulator and the hose, not the kind that fits between the hose and the torch. You can get a quick-connect for the oxy, too, but I rarely find a need to disconnect my oxygen hose because my oxygen concentrator stays inside. If you go places and take your torch with you, you might want a quick connect for oxy, too. Quick connects are sold in sets for oxy and propane, but you can buy one for just propane alone if you ask.

You need a wrench, maybe two, to attach your regulator to your propane tank and your propane hose to your regulator. You should check for leaks. You can use a soapy water solution or a leak detector solution that you buy at a hardware store. You dab it on everywhere that there's a connection and after everything's turned on, look for bubbles (not just little bubbles from dabbing, bubbles that are being blown). If anything's blowing bubbles, tighten the connection.

Your hoses should come with a screw fitting called a B fitting on the end that goes on the regulator and on the concentrator. It just screws on and gets tightened with the wrench. Your oxygen concentrator might have a little nipple-looking thing, but it will probably pull off and have a place to screw the hose on. (Mine have always just had places to screw the hose on.) If your hose isn't already attached to the torch, it will have a cut end on the other end (if it has a fitting, cut it off). Slide a hose clamp on the hose, slide the hose over the barb on the end of the torch (actually, you'll probably have to push to make it fit nice and tight), push the clamp up over the hose/barb, and tighten the screw on the clamp. (I have a Lynx, not a Bobcat, but I'm assuming the hoses go on the same way.)

You'll need to think about your ventilation. Maybe some other people who work in garages (I don't) can help.

If you have any questions, don't worry about calling your supplier. They're in the business of doing this, and they will have talked plenty of people through the initial set up. It's a little scary the first time, but it's really not hard.

You'll want to clamp (or somehow fasten) your torch to your work table. You don't want to bump it accidentally and have a flaming torch in your lap!
Old 2007-11-02, 12:27pm

Thank you for the very helpful infromation.
Ann
Old 2008-02-24, 1:51pm
Lover of all things color

Emily, your explanation was great. I just got a Lynx and when it came time to attach its hoses to the hose I realized that they don't go together. So, I have to cut the hose end and fit it over the torch hose. So, I can't play today, have to go find clamps. Why didn't the shop tell me this. Why do they do that. They got a lot of money from me, you would think that they would include those or at least put in a note that they were needed so we could have been prepared. Why do we all have to reinvent the wheel. Sheesh!

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-02-24, 4:20pm
Just a Member

Hi Ann-
I have a Bobcat and I love it- just be sure you get the biggest oxygen concentrator you can. You'll be happy with anything when you start, but the 5 LPM/ 5-8 psi oxycons don't fully power the Bobcat in my opinion, and you'll soon wish you had more power.
Old 2008-02-27, 2:36pm

It would be good to see if you can try a couple of torches before you buy.
G.
Old 2008-02-27, 2:55pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifalina View Post
Hi Ann-
I have a Bobcat and I love it- just be sure you get the biggest oxygen concentrator you can. You'll be happy with anything when you start, but the 5 LPM/ 5-8 psi oxycons don't fully power the Bobcat in my opinion, and you'll soon wish you had more power.
I had a Bobcat before upgrading to the Barracuda. I agree with Hifalina that a 5 LPM/8 PSI oxycon doesn't power the Bobcat 100%, that you may want a bigger oxycon or add another one down the road.

I did a lot of research and tried different torches before settling on the Bobcat. The ONLY adjustment most people have to make is that you need to have the flame more than 1/4" long or you get carbon build-up. . . I usually just flake them off with a razor tool or tweezers, not a big issue, just annoying. I also clean my ports with the wire tool after every torching session . . . still do with the Barracuda.

Hope this helps! And congrats!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-27, 2:59pm
AKA: Noodlesaurus

I just up graded from the Bobcat to a Lynx and love both torche, they really are the best out there. I agree, if you have a chance to try other torches you should and you will see for yourself that the GTT torches are the best.They run cooloer and use a lot less fuel. If you can afford a 10 LPM con. Then great,but, I ran my Bobcat and now my Lynx on a 5LPM ( switch to bottled O2 for extra "power") but hope to upgrade to a Regalia next month. Kim at Pyronmix.com can answer any and all question about con. you might have.

Best wishes and good luck!

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....