No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-20, 11:47am
Salt Box Beads

Default LOTS of opinions needed on frit please

Hi everyone, I am about to jump into the frit business..( I think) and I need everyones opinions on how you like your frit shipped to you and in what and why? That is important with shipping costs going up almost daily it seems!!

Do you prefer plastic, metal or glass containers?

Tall or short? Flat? Round? ???

Twist lids, Push down lids? Cork stoppers or?

Would you like a small inexpensive wall or tabletop rack to hold them in to be an option to purchase or do most of you have a system figured out already?
Fancy labels or plain labels..no labels just a number?

DOESN'T matter just send me my frit as cheaply as possible in a plastic baggies saving me some money ( for more frit of course) and I will take care of the containers myself.

Do you like the fancy color names, fancy labels, fancy little jars and will pay for it??

Please let me know what you all think. It will help me a bunch in deciding which path to take in start-up production. Subject to change later.
Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you

******UPDATE*********
I bumped this thread because I wanted to give everyone an update. I finally have the frits at the testers and I am working on my website now..it is all slow going but so far so good. After lots of consideration I decided I needed to do what was best for me in the making of the frits and what do what would fit into my lifestyle and space...so I have decided to make up a blend and sell it in what I call the one scoop size. It will be in a labeled baggie and you can ask for a second label if you wish.

I have a very small space so I am going to do something a little different..similar to odd lot Vetrofond and Effetre rod sales. I will make a blend, put all of it up on my website and when it is gone, it is gone! There will be at least a new color every month hopefully two or more when I get the hang of it. I have only 60 bags of my first color. DH is telling me to double that...but I wanted to see how well the color blend is liked first. I will keep all of my recipes handy and if I get a lot of requests I can always bring back a favorite color as an encore color. I hope to have encore colors added every month also.

I know it is a different way to sell frit but it suits me and fits my current lifestyle and if DH and I have to sell our house and go into an RV full time ( toy hauler) I will have the room and still be able to do it this way. I will post a picture of the new blend at the end of this thread because I do not see anyway to attach it here?....
Thank-you
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2008-06-08 at 10:34am. Reason: UPDATE
Old 2008-01-20, 11:59am
Trying to Hope!

I like bags and jars and wouldnt care if it were eithar. I like a label that shows the frit eithar how it looks on white glass or in chunk form and i would love the labels on the side of the glass so i can see them while torching and grab whatever appeals to me at that time.

I prefer priority shipping because I am impatient and want my frit now but would also like first class.

if you ship creativly and put a bunch of the bags or jars in one of the smaller priority boxes it will fit in the flat rate envelope for only 4.60

good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy Here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-01-20, 12:08pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you much..I appreciate it. This is really going to help and thanks for the good wishes...

Lorraine
Old 2008-01-20, 12:15pm

I like jars with a baggie refill option... I have a drawer full of baggies but it seems too much work to shovel through to find one I want, jars are easier. The plastic short jars with the wide lids that everyone seems to use are lovely. BUT, if it only comes in jars I can use leftover/used jars to repack some of my baggies! Either way is great. Twist-off lids are good because they seem more secure, and I'm a klutz... Likewise on the plastic containers - easier to see colors through and how much I have, also.

As long as shipping is reasonably priced and product is securely packed, I don't mind waiting for the difference between priority and first class. I am a sucker for free shipping, I just ignore that it's already included in the price.

Plain labels explaining COE, size, name, AND company it's from are great for me. I want to know where I should go to reorder or refer other people to if I like it. A fancy name is nice if it's distinctive, so I know which company in a heartbeat. I know Celestial is a favorite Glass Diversions frit, and my beloved Boro Bora is by Val Cox. Green #3 would be a little more ambiguous.

Sample packs are a very, very good thing.

I like size 0 for floral and sheep bases, and don't use chunks much - if I'm pulling stringer from a chunk, I may as well order rods of that color.

I don't need a display unit or shelving, I have two plastic drawer thingies that holds them all relatively dust-free with no problems.

Hope this helps, good luck!

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-01-20, 12:29pm
Salt Box Beads

Oh my Gosh!! This is helping a lot ...Thanks Nikki! Terrific information.
Lorraine
Old 2008-01-20, 2:34pm

I like the idea of buying it in a plastic bag to get more bang for my buck and then offering a container for $x.xx more. A wide mouthed metal container with a screw on top option would be nice so I can just open and dip. I am usually klutzy and when I've tried to do a quick dip into my plastic jars I've melted the edges

Ditto everyone on the samplers.

A label is a must with all the info Nikki mentioned. Maybe leave just tape the sticky label to the bag so it can be applied to whatever container you may choose to use at home?

I enjoy the blend names. I like trying to picture the colors of a hawaiian sunset or turning leaf etc.

Custom blend frits would be cool. I've wanted to create my own mix but I don't want to buy a big container of 3 or 4 different colors just to get the mix I want.

Hope that was a little help. Have fun and good luck

It's great to be a FLORIDA GATOR!
Old 2008-01-20, 2:50pm

I have 3 old spice racks that spin that I like to put my frit in. I would LOVE to be able to buy enought of a frit mix I like to actually fill the jars with a slight discount for having it sent in a baggie. I take the sticker that comes on the jar and stick it on the end of the spice rack jar so I still know what it is. So...the round stickers are convenient.

Maybe offering the option at checkout?

Old 2008-01-20, 4:09pm
Proud Liberal

plastic bags with labels is just fine with me! Save on the shipping, I can do containers if I want. I use a great little jewelry scoop that works great with little ziplock bags.

Robin
Old 2008-01-20, 4:12pm
Salt Box Beads

SUPER GOOD IDEAS!!! I am getting so many tips. Thanks so much to all of you.

I have at least 5 MUST HAVES and they are all very good ones.

I will have to start with just a few color blends coming out each month and only one frit size option to start with so I need to know everyones frit size preference.

Does anyone like a colorful blend of two frit sizes??

Eventually I want to offer lots of options.

Lorraine
Old 2008-01-20, 4:22pm

I love the little jars with neat labels on them and having the option of a baggie refill to keep costs down. I am usually never in a hurry for supplies like this and it kills me to pay extra for priority, so shipping first class or having an option for pirority is a must for me..

This is a great idea.. especially if you wnat to keep costs down....
"A label is a must with all the info Nikki mentioned. Maybe leave just tape the sticky label to the bag so it can be applied to whatever container you may choose to use at home?"

and.. I would love to be a tester for you..

GOOD LUCK!

Old 2008-01-20, 5:45pm

Do you prefer plastic, metal or glass containers? I would love to get frit in metal containers with screw lids they have a great magnet storage system at Ikea but I am affraid those containers that don't have screw on lids will fall off and my frit will go all over the table

Tall or short? Flat? Round? ??? round and flatter would be great then you could just dip in the container

Twist lids, Push down lids? Cork stoppers or? screw top for sure

Would you like a small inexpensive wall or tabletop rack to hold them in to be an option to purchase or do most of you have a system figured out already? It would be nice to be able to buy a couple different storage options available that your jars would work with.

Fancy labels or plain labels..no labels just a number? Name would be better

DOESN'T matter just send me my frit as cheaply as possible in a plastic baggies saving me some money ( for more frit of course) and I will take care of the containers myself. It would be nice to have a option to not buy the container especially if it is to refill one you already have then that would give you extra money for frit

Do you like the fancy color names, fancy labels, fancy little jars and will pay for it?? I would love to see a picture of what the frit looks like or the top being clear I would pay for labels with what the frit looks like maybe a picture of a bead on white

My ideal container would be metal with a clear top to see the frit, screw top if the top was clear then you could put the label on the top. You could also just put the label inside of the jar so the person could choose where to stick it for there storage system. You could even sell the containers too then people could change the frit they have if they want. I would like to see more options in 104 coe frit blends there is only one place that has this. Good luck I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Old 2008-01-20, 6:23pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Lori..Some great ideas there I am considering..

Melissa thanks for the offer..Pm'd you!
Lorraine
Old 2008-01-20, 6:40pm
Superkitty

Do you prefer plastic, metal or glass containers?
Plastic
Tall or short? Flat? Round? ???
Short (no taller than what Valcox uses) and round
Twist lids, Push down lids? Cork stoppers or?
Twist
Would you like a small inexpensive wall or tabletop rack to hold them in to be an option to purchase or do most of you have a system figured out already?
Already have a system
Fancy labels or plain labels..no labels just a number?
Labels with a pic of what frit looks like on white glass
DOESN'T matter just send me my frit as cheaply as possible in a plastic baggies saving me some money ( for more frit of course) and I will take care of the containers myself.
Sample sizes are great! Baggies option with a slight discount for refills would be nice.
Do you like the fancy color names, fancy labels, fancy little jars and will pay for it??
Names help me remember what the frit looks like. Label doesn't have to be fancy, but a pic of the frit color on white, the COE, and the vendor name would be very helpful. Jars don't have to be fancy. Plain, transparent plastic with a screw lid would be my first choice.
Old 2008-01-20, 9:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
I like jars with a baggie refill option... I have a drawer full of baggies but it seems too much work to shovel through to find one I want, jars are easier. The plastic short jars with the wide lids that everyone seems to use are lovely. BUT, if it only comes in jars I can use leftover/used jars to repack some of my baggies! Either way is great. Twist-off lids are good because they seem more secure, and I'm a klutz... Likewise on the plastic containers - easier to see colors through and how much I have, also.

As long as shipping is reasonably priced and product is securely packed, I don't mind waiting for the difference between priority and first class. I am a sucker for free shipping, I just ignore that it's already included in the price.

Plain labels explaining COE, size, name, AND company it's from are great for me. I want to know where I should go to reorder or refer other people to if I like it. A fancy name is nice if it's distinctive, so I know which company in a heartbeat. I know Celestial is a favorite Glass Diversions frit, and my beloved Boro Bora is by Val Cox. Green #3 would be a little more ambiguous.

Sample packs are a very, very good thing.

I like size 0 for floral and sheep bases, and don't use chunks much - if I'm pulling stringer from a chunk, I may as well order rods of that color.

I don't need a display unit or shelving, I have two plastic drawer thingies that holds them all relatively dust-free with no problems.

Hope this helps, good luck!
I completely agree with everything Nicky said and I;m glad she said it - now I don't have to type it.

Really, I think if you stick to these few things, everyone will already be acclimated to it since the popular frit vendors pretty much do all these things. This way people will order from you and not have any issues that go along with "growing pains" and getting use to someone new. KWIM? Does that make sense?

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2008-01-20, 9:29pm

Yup I like the wide mouth short jars like Val uses! They are nice because you can get the frit in and out easily.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-01-20, 9:34pm

I prefer one size at a time - 0 and 1 are my favorites. The only one I use mixed is my copper green I make myself for my turquoise mine beads, it gives a better organic look.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-01-20, 9:48pm
Salt Box Beads

Okay Ladies..I'am hearing you.

Sometimes you want to do a little something different to stand out from the crowd. I not sure what that is going to be just yet. But I will think of something and not so drastic as to create "growing pains" getting used to a new frit supplier.

Thanks so much for all of the info, I am really getting some major ideas down.
This is helping tremendously and I appreciate it.
Lorraine
Old 2008-01-21, 1:50am
Mummy to 3 Little Elves

I prefer the glass jar option because you sometimes can melt the plastic ones if you get too close. Also like the option of refill bags. Like the idea of having bags and perhaps labels for those not wanting to have to buy jars of any sort, though.

Old 2008-01-21, 6:42am

Oooo. I don't like glass jars. They break. The wide plastic ones like Val's are perfect.

Allie - Keep your jars away form your flame! lol! I don't want to see you set yourself on fire. That wouldn't be good. And yes, refill baggies are great. Esp. if it saves on shipping &/or the cost of frit.

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2008-01-21, 10:49am
Certified Yoga Teacher

I don't usually buy frit in baggies unless I'm getting a kilo or half, but I think it would be o.k. for sample packs and refillables. My favorite jars are Val's 3.5 oz size. I think once you get the weight of several of these jars, Priority Mail is your only real shipping option.

As for frit size, I like bigger chunks #1 or even #2 on something reactive, but smaller #0 on regular colors. I don't really like the mixed sizes. It always seems you end up with a big chunk where you don't want it.

Hope that helps!

ETA: Gotta have a descriptive label! Again, I like Val's best.

Liz

Last edited by mostlydetails; 2008-01-21 at 10:53am.
Old 2008-01-21, 11:07am
High Maintenance

Nicky said it best I think. I love frit so would be more than happy to be a tester if you need more.
Old 2008-01-21, 11:21am
susanLambert

If you want plastic containers look at Pinzart. She is selling off her stock and closing shop, and has all kinds of little jars for sale.
http://pinzart.zoovy.com/product/P-0..._lids_doz.html
she says she has thousands...

Old 2008-01-21, 11:29am
Salt Box Beads

WoW!!! Thanks everyone, this is great. I got some very good info from Melissa when I pm'd her and I am now formulating a plan of action.

Heather..I Pm'd you!

Lorraine
Old 2008-01-21, 11:29am
passionate about pets

these containers are about .52 cents a piece. I quite like them and they are clear plastic and have screw tops.......i have ordered from this company and had great delivery...very fast and efficient customer service

http://www.pandahall.com/wholesale-b...rent__489.html

these one are 7cm in diameter and 3.6 cm high

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Last edited by StOrM; 2008-01-21 at 11:33am.
Old 2008-01-21, 1:27pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks for the bottle input!! I appreciate that.

Lorraine
Old 2008-01-21, 1:41pm
Mummy to 3 Little Elves

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramag View Post
Oooo. I don't like glass jars. They break. The wide plastic ones like Val's are perfect.

Allie - Keep your jars away form your flame! lol! I don't want to see you set yourself on fire. That wouldn't be good. And yes, refill baggies are great. Esp. if it saves on shipping &/or the cost of frit.
Val started doing glass jars when I was still mad about buying frit (had to take a 12 step program to wean myself off frit buying LOL). I found that I would sometimes melt the side of the plastic frit jar when tilting it and sticking molten glass in the frit (yes, I know I could use a frit thingymyjiggy to put frit in and then roll the melted glass but I don't often do that). That's why I started buying glass jars and prefer them. I keep the frit jars away from the torch in my twin frit towers.

Old 2008-01-21, 2:14pm
Salt Box Beads

There seems to be pros and cons to everything spoken of here on this thread....LOL

Looks like a lot of frit users prefer being able to dip and roll right from jar..Hummmm, I am a sprinkler...I like to sprinkle what I want on my marver, and then put the leftover back into the jar.

Sooo many decisions I need to make

Lorraine
Old 2008-01-21, 5:18pm

I use a mini muffin tin for my frits!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-01-21, 5:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramag View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie_T View Post
Val started doing glass jars when I was still mad about buying frit (had to take a 12 step program to wean myself off frit buying LOL). I found that I would sometimes melt the side of the plastic frit jar when tilting it and sticking molten glass in the frit (yes, I know I could use a frit thingymyjiggy to put frit in and then roll the melted glass but I don't often do that). That's why I started buying glass jars and prefer them. I keep the frit jars away from the torch in my twin frit towers.
Why would metal not be a option if you like to dip. Then you would not have to worry about melting plastic and not worry about glass breaking. I would buy and change all nmine to metal if I could find screw on lids.

I forgot to say I like size one frit the best. I think that is what most of the colors of vals are.

Old 2008-01-21, 5:52pm
Entropy increasing....

Round and short big mouth containers. It's really hard to get the frit back into a tall jar with a small mouth.

Baggies with labels are good too. Again, baggies with big openings not little ones. I use the frit in those little tiny SS gravy boats and I can just pour it back in.