LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-11-15, 10:42am

Default Got a P-10?

Hello, Fellow Adventurers in Glass!

I started fooling around melting glass in 2003 with a Hothead after reading "Making Glass Beads" by Cindy Jenkins. After a long break while we built our current house in 2004 (I had to pack up my mini garage-based studio when we sold the old house and moved into a condo until the new one was finished this past spring), I've now set up my work space in a beautiful room with a view of the Intercoastal Waterway in North Florida.

I'm ready to retire the Hothead and get a big-girl torch, and I've have narrowed my torch choices down to a Bobcat or a Mini CC (leaning toward the Bobcat at the moment). We had the local gas company bury a large tank in the side yard for propane which is piped into the house for my cooktop and the BBQ grill, and I had them run a line up to my studio. So now for the question of oxygen.

I have been looking at concentrators and thought I would buy one from OxygenPlus or someplace similar that offers a warrenty. However, I've recently seen some (but not much) information on the P-10.
http://www.generationsglass.com/Torch_Accessories.html
They are a little more expensive than most reconditioned oxy-cons with warrenties, but put out more oxygen. And from what I've read, the Bobcat runs better on more oxygen than what is produced by a concentrator.

Do any of you have a P-10 and how do you like it?

The whole surface mix thing is totally new to me. I've never even worked on a minor burner before. At this point, I've done a lot of reading, but have had no experience. Any first-hand information or recommendations would be appreciated.

Jo
Old 2005-11-15, 11:58am

I would be really interested in knowing this information too.

Great topic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-15, 12:49pm
boro color bender

They are awesome and Kristian at Generations will take good care of you. Call and chat if you have any questions. He's a really nice guy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-11-16, 4:29am

I got the Oxygen Unlimited M-10 thru ebay with ABR Imagery. I believe this is the same as the P-20 at Generations Glass. 10 LPM at 20 PSI. I am running a Red Max with minor on top. With this concentrator I can get a pretty good oxydizing flame on the minor part. It can do a small neutral flame on the cannon. It works killer for soft glass, and if ya got plenty of time on your hands it will do boro as well. I also just got hooked up with a gal who is selling a used Millenium 10 medical oxygen concentrator, I will have it in a day or two. I am pretty sure that with both of these hooked up, I will be able to melt boro like butta'. I will let ya know later in the week. All in all, I am very pleased with this concentrator, it woulda been perfect, except I felt a need to mess with those few sticks of boro I've had forever. Oh well, hopefully by the weekend I will be tank free forever!! Yahoo!

Torch on!

Marilyn

PS. If you think that these are high priced machines, figure this..I am in Denver, it costs me $73 to fill up 4-125 oxygen tanks. I can easily use a tank a day. For the 2 concentrators I will recoup my investment in less than 4 months. Even if these machines crap out yearly, I will save a bundle on oxygen.
Old 2005-11-16, 10:58am
no user title

Default P-10/20

I emailed GTT about these machines and they had tested the larger one when I talked to them. They said Millenium 10 ( which is now known as the p-20) will run a Bobcat, a Lynx or a Cheetah easily. It's on my list to purchase as soon as I can get the money together..

Jennie at Amitysprings
Old 2005-11-18, 8:45am

Thank you all for your replies. I'm thinking a P-20 might be overkill for me, because I'm just going to be running a bobcat, but even though it's more expensive than most concentrators, if it helps avoid the carbon build up problem I've read about by providing more oxygen than a reconditioned concentrator, it's worth it. I know it will pay off in the long run in the money and time it will save in dealing with bottled oxygen.

I guess the main thing I'm concerned about is their dependability. Having to deal with sending it back for repair would be a bummer.

Good suggestion, Jennie. I'll send a note to GTT to see what they recommend. And Mr. Smiley, I will definitely give Generations a call also.

Thanks all!

Jo

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
But today is a gift -
That's why it's called the present!
Old 2005-11-18, 1:58pm

We are currently running a m-10 (10P) on a Piranha and it runs it at 100%. If you plan on staying with a Bobcat, mini CC, Minor, Prianha, or Betta, then this one is all you need. Plus, it is SUPER quiet. We have been having lots of fun with these.... Rocio has a 20 P for the Cuda. I'm looking forward to the big one to run some of the larger torches.