No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-04-06, 8:44pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Default ASK compatiblility issues?

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you have had any compatibility issues with using the ASK glass with the Moretti, Lauscha or vetrofond?

I made a set of beads using ASK Pink ladies slipper as the base and a handmade twistie using morretti's and a week later I'm seeing some cracks showing up.

Anyone else having that kind of problem or know what might be happening?

Thanks,

Debra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is............. Deb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-04-07, 7:41am

It looks like you won't need to worry about that issue much longer as Arrow Springs is discontinuing the manufacturing of ASK

Get Your ASK 104 Glass
While You Still Can - Some Colors Gone

EW ASK 104 4-22 TN

The remaining inventory of ASK 104 glass is all that will be available. Once this glass is gone, it will no longer be sold. A key part of the concept behind the ASK 104 line was a selection of beautiful colors with exceptional compatibility. That is why we carefully tested each run of glass before we gave it the ASK 104 label. Sadly, we have been unable to find a supplier who could consistently meet these standards. Instead of compromising on quality, we decided to discontinue the current line of colors. Get your favorite remaining colors now, before they are gone.

Very
Limited
Quantities

[/quote]

WITHOUT PROCRASTINATION I'D HAVE NOTHING TO DO!!
Old 2008-04-07, 9:01am

I have had a few problems with ASK and sis or silver foil.. the cracks are tiny.. but I wouldn't trust them to sell..

Old 2008-04-09, 5:56pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Thank you both for your replies.
I guess I'll use the ASK I have for plain single colored beads.
I don't dare mix them again.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-04-09, 6:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Kugler is making the same ASK glass but will not be sold by Arrow Springs. It is called Beadmaking 104.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-04-09, 6:12pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Obviously the "104" is misleading though. If it didn't cost so much I would consider getting more to go with what I have so I can make more decorative beads with different colors. But I'd rather not pay that much if I can't use it with my other 104 glass.

I'm upset that I paid as much as I did for what I have. I should have researched it before I bought it. But it was advertised as compatible.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-04-09, 6:13pm
Oh No You Didn't!

I recently bought some CIM but haven't tried it yet. I'll be sure to do my research before I use it this time.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-04-10, 6:27am

Default ASK is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by razberi View Post
It looks like you won't need to worry about that issue much longer as Arrow Springs is discontinuing the manufacturing of ASK

Get Your ASK 104 Glass
While You Still Can - Some Colors Gone

EW ASK 104 4-22 TN

The remaining inventory of ASK 104 glass is all that will be available. Once this glass is gone, it will no longer be sold. A key part of the concept behind the ASK 104 line was a selection of beautiful colors with exceptional compatibility. That is why we carefully tested each run of glass before we gave it the ASK 104 label. Sadly, we have been unable to find a supplier who could consistently meet these standards. Instead of compromising on quality, we decided to discontinue the current line of colors. Get your favorite remaining colors now, before they are gone.

Very
Limited
Quantities

Hello,
this statement is not right. Please read/see for further information this link:
http://www.kuglercolors.de/beadmaking/english/news.html

No one can continue producing something when the recipes owner is someone else, in fact Friedrich Farbglashütte GmbH is the owner and the colors are still abailable called BEADMAKING 104.
Thank you.
With kind regards,
Diana Friedrich
Friedrich Farbglashütte GmbH
KUGLER-COLORS
Old 2008-04-10, 6:29am

And the resellers for BEADMAKING 104 are as follows, plus Bill Thornton, as seen in a threat. New ones will follow.

C.&R. Loo Inc.
1085 Essex Avenue
US – Richmond, CA 94801
United States of America

Tel.: 001 510 2320276
Fax: 001 510 2327810
e-Mail: glass@crloo.com
http://www.crloo.com

Hot glass Color & Supply
Mr. Cliff Goodman
US – 2227 Fifth Avenue, Seattle, Washington 98121
United States of America

Tel.: (001) 206 448 1199
Toll Free Number (001)866 448 1199
eMail: sales@hotglasscolor.com
www.hotglasscolor.com

Tecnolux, Incorporated
Mr. David Ablon
US - 103 14th Street, Brooklyn, New York 11215
United States of America

Tel.: (001) 718 369 3900
Fax: (001) 718 369 2845
eMail: David@TecnoLux.com
web: www.tecnocoro.com

With kind regards,
Diana Friedrich
Friedrich Farbglashütte GmbH
KUGLER-COLORS
Old 2008-04-10, 9:36am
Missing presumed fed

Now that we're all clear on who the supplier with the inconsistent quality is . . .

are there or have there been cracking issues with the Silver Cinnamon and Silver Rattan colors? (Am I getting the names right? The tannish ones that turn silvery.) Cindy Lemmo showed me a gorgeous bead that she'd made with one of those, but she'd put some of her flowers on it with an Effetre color and there was cracking where the colors met.
Old 2008-04-10, 9:46am
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Now that we're all clear on who the supplier with the inconsistent quality is . . .

are there or have there been cracking issues with the Silver Cinnamon and Silver Rattan colors? (Am I getting the names right? The tannish ones that turn silvery.) Cindy Lemmo showed me a gorgeous bead that she'd made with one of those, but she'd put some of her flowers on it with an Effetre color and there was cracking where the colors met.
heh

Emily,

I haven't used the Silver Cinnamon and Silver Rattan as much, but I have a new series I've been working on for several weeks that are Caramel Apple and Effetre Transparents. The Caramel Apple is a reducing color also, and I've had no problems with them at all. I've made a few with the Silver Cinnamon (I love the color!), but it's a bit darker, so not as good a mix for these particular beads.

Old 2008-04-10, 9:51am
Storm Queen

I use Silver Cinnamon on practically every bead I make and I've had no cracking issues. I've using Silver Rattan a lot more lately too with no issues either.

Old 2008-04-10, 10:30am
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I use Silver Cinnamon on practically every bead I make and I've had no cracking issues. I've using Silver Rattan a lot more lately too with no issues either.
But is it ASK or the BEADMAKING 104?
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2008-04-10, 10:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
*laugh*

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-04-10, 10:58am
runs with pruning shears

I had problems with all the beads I made with ask. Cracks, and really weird ones (once it kind of peeled away like an onion). I had actually had a good deal more success with the incompatible kugler colors (using a little as surface decoration).
Old 2008-04-10, 11:46am
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
I had problems with all the beads I made with ask. Cracks, and really weird ones (once it kind of peeled away like an onion). I had actually had a good deal more success with the incompatible kugler colors (using a little as surface decoration).
I had this problem with the first batch of bad clear, but I returned that to AS. It was actually pretty fascinating. I wish there was a way to get it in a stable bead. Which colors peeled on you? Was it more than the clear?

Old 2008-04-10, 12:00pm
make beads not war

I've been using the ASK from Arrow Springs and I've never had a problem with it. The colors I've mainly worked with is Silver Cinnamon, Tribal Turquoise, Neon Green, Lavender Fields, Aloe Vera and Med Olive (hmm... I do use a lot).

I've encased the Turquoise & Lavendar... I've also used it a lot in my galileo pendants and mixed it with moretti, vetrofond and CiM and R4.
Old 2008-04-10, 12:24pm
runs with pruning shears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post
I had this problem with the first batch of bad clear, but I returned that to AS. It was actually pretty fascinating. I wish there was a way to get it in a stable bead. Which colors peeled on you? Was it more than the clear?
i didn't try the clear. I only got the colors I thought were interesting, or different from what I had- the silver colors. I think it was the cinnamon that peeled on me...maybe the rattan (it was a while ago & I only got a little of each to try them out).
Old 2008-04-10, 1:16pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
But is it ASK or the BEADMAKING 104?
ASK. I'm not sure I would trust this Beadmaking 104 stuff.

Old 2008-04-10, 1:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Since they are supposed to be the exact same stuff made by the same people, does it really matter?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-04-10, 1:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Since they are supposed to be the exact same stuff made by the same people, does it really matter?

Maybe not. Maybe so.
Since a very trusted and respected company tried to make a go of this product line and could not because this trusted company received inconsistent product and would not sell batches they tested and found incompatible, I am waiting to see how this turns out. Instead of having the US supplier checking batches as they come, we are now going to have the beadmakers doing the batch testing. The best I hope for is that Kugler takes note and becomes more careful with their quality control.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-04-10, 1:43pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

true, true

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-04-10, 2:37pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Well...I had talked to an employee at AS about a year ago and they asked me to be a tester for the ASK line. I never did get any glass to test though but they already had 30 testers at the time so no biggie, they probably decided they didn't need me after all. Anyway, each batch of ASK that came in would get tested. Not talking new colors here either, each batch period. I was told at the time that there was a new color the testers had but they were having cracking issues so it probably wouldn't be released...and it wasn't that I know of. I don't think any new colors were released after I had the conversation but I'm not positive. So the question is....would that same glass be released now by Beadmaking 104 because they don't seem to test the glass?

Old 2008-04-10, 3:39pm
yukue fumei

Someone posted about a color she tested for AS that was only compatible with itself(not even clear?)? If someone can post what color it is to see if it was released by Kugler separately, that would be great. I don't think it is in their interest to sell a batch that was only compatible to itself.
The new colors that I got were Black Mirror, Orange Crush Lt and Dk Sand Brown. I also have some Flamingo and Dark and lt Rose and Grapefruit if those ring a bell....
thanks!

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2008-04-10 at 3:53pm. Reason: couldn't find the post...but I would like to know what color it was!
Old 2008-04-10, 3:46pm
><>

Quote:
ASK. I'm not sure I would trust this Beadmaking 104 stuff.
Thanks for the answer. Me either, too.LOL.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
Old 2008-04-10, 3:48pm
><>

Quote:
So the question is....would that same glass be released now by Beadmaking 104 because they don't seem to test the glass?
That's what I'm wondering, exactly.
Old 2008-04-10, 4:16pm

Honestly, the rumor I heard was that the Arrow/Kugler relationship was severed largely because AS created a market for the glass here only to have Kugler do an end-run around AS (their once "sole distributor") to set up their own relationships with distributors here in the US.
Old 2008-04-10, 6:00pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Hmm I seem to remember a similar situation with OCR and kugler.

Old 2008-04-10, 6:32pm
make beads not war

Question... has the Beadmaking 104 line always been available to Europe? If so, I would be very interested to hear if any international beadmakers have used it.
Old 2008-04-10, 8:29pm

I posted this in another threat but am going to repeat it here. What is the difference between Kuglar colors and ASK colors. They appear to be the same colors and formulations so why do they have two different lines for the same colors basically?

Red

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon