No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-12-11, 12:42am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam
Default Torch addicts unite, I need some good advice

Hi all,

Since we got a lot of talented and torch addicted people here I thought I'd ask some questions here.

I started beadmaking in februari this year on a HH wich was perfect for the beads I was making back then. I switched to a Minor in June wich still is perfect, I love that little thing, but.... I want a bigger torch because I would like to work with boro, and I want my raku to be purple , not just brown, green blue and a slight hint of purple. The main reason for me to get a bigger torch is the boro thing, before you all say I am crazy to get a bigger torch just for raku.

I have a few options here, but I could sure use your input on this.

First option:
A Bethlehem Pirhana. Found a seller on ebay wich has them new in the box for a real good price, and they ship to the Netherlands ( wich comes in quite handy since that is where I live)

Second option: The Lynx. I love the way it looks. Further then that, I have heard some real nice things about it, but other then that I;d love to get some advice on this baby ( I would rather get the freaking awesome looking one with the snakeskin on it... boy that is one sexy torch!!!)

Third option: Brents ( Mr Smiley) new and awesome looking little torchthing,
The Betta. I have no idea what the specs are on this torch, so Mr Smilley , please chime in here.

I have one concentrator, but am on the lookout for an extra concentrator. I assume all torches above need two concentrators to run, but am not sure if the Betta also needs that since the add says low pressure oxy.

Please help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks! Suzanne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-12-11, 7:30am
FKA Stacia

I know absolutely nothing about the different torches listed. Is that reassuring as a start ? Anyway, I thought Corina had a listing on pros and cons of various torches and I was remembered correctly, yeah. Here's the link. Hope it helps.

http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/torchreview.php

Stacia
Old 2005-12-11, 9:47am
Glassy Lady

Of the torches you mention, I have the Lynx. It's a wonderful little torch. It's very hot for a small torch and very efficient. I can run it on 1 oxycon, but 2 is better. It's got a small concentrated flame. If you are looking for a bushy flame, this is not the torch for you. One feature I LOVE LOVE LOVE is that the flame can be adjusted to a pinpoint for small detail work, I can heat a tiny dot and just that tiny dot. I can't seem to get a lot of purple out of the raku on it though.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2005-12-11, 10:16am
Boldly going

I have a Lynx and two concentrators. For quite a long time I only had one concentrator. If you are serious about Boro you need to have at least two 5 LPM concentrators providing your O2 for the Lynx. Anything less will be very frustrating and slow. I would look at one of those 10 LPM/20 PSI concentrators from Generations Glass or ABR Imagery if you do upgrade. With a Lynx and 10 LPM of O2, you should be able to melt that Boro like butter and bang out some nice Boro beads, quickly. Good luck.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2005-12-11, 11:25am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Thanks for the great advice so far. I have one concentrator and getting another one from Generations Glass is not an option since the shipping fees for a piece of equipment like that to the Netherlands are sky high, so I am getting one from here ( I got one wich gives me about7 to 8 lmp)

Also, I have made a boro bead on my minor, but have no clue if I did the right thing since I have not gotten my boro clear yet, I ordered some just the other day. It did melt pretty fast though, not slower then my czech glass rods wich are aprox. 11 mm .

Any other input is more then welcome here