No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-20, 9:38am

Default What's the worst advice

you've ever gotten as a beadmaker?

I can't seem to think of any for myself....leads me to realize how caring/sharing and supportive our community is!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-20, 9:41am

Someone told me I couldn't work boro on a minor, and I put off working boro for almost a year. Then I took a beginner boro class from Lauri Copeland where we used....minors.

Old 2008-07-20, 9:43am

At my first class at a glass studio, the owner/teacher told us she thought people made too big of a deal about annealing beads...

Old 2008-07-20, 9:45am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

ow I got a couple of bad ones.

beads made using a HH don't have to be annealed

You don't have to use didymiumglasses if you are working on a HH

ventilation is overrated, an open window will suit you just fine

you can just glue broken beads together, cause no one will see it

Old 2008-07-20, 9:50am

You can't make good beads on a Hot Head.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-07-20, 9:57am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
but that one is true *runs away quickly* lol

Just kidding, I still love HH torches, the only bad thing about them is the noise

Old 2008-07-20, 10:01am
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
Wonder what Holly would think about that advise! Thank goodness she didn't hear that starting out!

Old 2008-07-20, 10:12am
Booger #7

At my one and only class I was told that "if you get dizzy, just step outside for some fresh air"

Old 2008-07-20, 10:13am

If I get bad information then I delete it from my Brain. Don't know why. Just do.

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-07-20, 10:18am
Whooooo, me?

Some cross ventilation is all that's needed. Meanwhile did 6 days of torching with only cross ventilation (open window at either end of room and a little fan) with 7 Minors raging all day during class. Wondered why me and another student had a little nagging cough every evening.

Beth
Old 2008-07-20, 10:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
but that one is true *runs away quickly* lol

Just kidding, I still love HH torches, the only bad thing about them is the noise
Someone mentioned they're only good for lighting "real" torches. I'm still wounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
I have had really great instructors and I don't believe they have ever given me bad advice.

But on the selling side of things, "Organics and focals won't sell on Ebay. You need to put up some sets"
So true, so true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
Wonder what Holly would think about that advise! Thank goodness she didn't hear that starting out!
My first teacher had just upgraded, so her opinion of the HotHead wasn't as high as it could have been - I did hear that she could do more and better on her new torch. And that we didn't need to anneal until we wanted to sell, we shouldn't worry about that...

~:
~:

~:

Old 2008-07-20, 10:36am
Curmudgeon

The worst advice I've ever heard, that applies as much to everything handmade as it does to beadmaking, is :
"Don't sell cheap".

The reality is that if you don't start of selling cheap you probably don't start off at all.

The second worst advice, that is still being routinely dispensed is:
"You can use different COE as long as it's not more then 10%"

The reality is that it's totally unsafe to use incompatible COE in any quantity.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-07-20, 10:40am
Flame Dames Rule!

Early on, I was told that annealing was optional. Idiots. *s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2008-07-20, 10:49am
Covered in glitter

Don't think I've ever really been given any bad advice. Mari Johnson is my beadie mentor and she gives wonderful advice. I kind of ignore the rest if it doesn't sound right.
I've taken some wonderful classes as well and I don't think, other than my very first class, that I've got any bad advice in them either. I've pretty much blocked out that first class so it's all good. LOL

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-07-20, 10:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
Early on, I was told that annealing was optional. Idiots. *s*
But flame annealing counts, right?

~:
~:

~:

Old 2008-07-20, 11:26am

I continue to hear that you do not need to wear a respirator when you use enamels.. and as many before~ cross ventilation is all you need..

On a better note.. I have received SO many wonderful pieces of advice here and from other beadmakers that the very few bad ones you just have to roll your eyes at..

Old 2008-07-20, 12:12pm
I like to melt things

If you can see the real colour of your bead, it is way too cool.

That one messed me up for a long time, and it took me ages to learn how to encase properly as a result.
Old 2008-07-20, 12:28pm
Cheeky & Impervious

My fave: you don't need to drain your propane line, nor do you need to depressurize your 100 lb. propane tank...

Old 2008-07-20, 12:42pm
FireBeads

When I bought my minor 9 years ago - from one of the big suppliers - they told to keep my propane in the house and under my torch table. I told them I had a floor heater and they said it was OK, don't worry about it!
Old 2008-07-20, 3:33pm
<--misses Austin buddies

only one piece of advice that got me into trouble....

" Hey Becky! You need to check out this forum called Lampworketc.com! "

Yeah, I did... and NOW look where it got me!!!
Bwaha haha ahaha hahaah aha!

Old 2008-07-20, 3:54pm
doyenne of the homebodies

I bought a minor at a show, three months after starting out with a hot head. A beadmaker who was selling and doing demos at the show told me to take the minor back, because a hot head could do "everything I would ever need to do" on a torch.

I didn't take her advice

Andrea
Old 2008-07-20, 4:46pm
Curmudgeon

After careful consideration, I've decided the absolute worst advice I ever got is advice I've most frequently been thankful I didn't take:

Glass is a great hobby but you can't make a living at it.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-07-20, 8:52pm
one day at a time

Unwanted advice and I didn't take it. A thread on another forum (most of us know where!) about newbies selling their beads. Mostly negative remarks too. I went ahead and started selling them anyway, and I had been making them for just two months. My beads were evenly rounded and had dimpled holes, so, "I'm ready enough for ebay" was my attitude.
Old 2008-07-21, 7:04am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Unwanted advice and I didn't take it. A thread on another forum (most of us know where!) about newbies selling their beads. Mostly negative remarks too. I went ahead and started selling them anyway, and I had been making them for just two months. My beads were evenly rounded and had dimpled holes, so, "I'm ready enough for ebay" was my attitude.
A common question is, "When is my work ready to sell?".

The best answer is, "Whenever someone is willing to buy".

FWIW ..... another piece of unsolicitated advice.
When someone tells you something can't be done, don't just ignore them. Listen carefully to their advice - then get busy proving them wrong.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-07-21, 8:59am

"A phantom burns WAY more oxy then a CC, get a CC"

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-07-21, 12:19pm

Overheard advice:

(1) Don't worry about ventilation and fuming is OK as long as a window is open.

(2) Annealing was dreamed up by the kiln makers to drum up business. Don't buy a kiln, it's a waste of money.

R
Old 2008-07-21, 1:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
After careful consideration, I've decided the absolute worst advice I ever got is advice I've most frequently been thankful I didn't take:

Glass is a great hobby but you can't make a living at it.
Hey Dennis, John Lennon's aunt used to give him the exact same advice about his guitar. I'm glad you didn't take that advice about glass.

I'll echo what others are saying about getting a lot of bad advice about ventilation; fortunately, I didn't listen. There are still too many folks who discount this vital issue.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-07-21, 1:29pm
addicted to dichro

You can't use a regulator with a hothead.

You won't be happy with a hothead torch long term.

You are too young to make beads.

Old 2008-07-21, 2:14pm
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Do not even try to make hollow beads, they are way to difficult to make, you'll just waste glass.

Yea, and 3 months (might have been a bit shorter) after I started with Lampwork, I made a 100 in one weekend. Once I have figured out how to do it in my head, I just did it. I still use the same tecnique today. And from day one I made hollows with thin even walls.

Ooh, I was also told the story about annealing. Vermiculite was apparently the best way to cool bead with. Through the grapevine I've heard that said teacher is now using a kiln at home, but still teaches the no-kiln story ... guess that is why I tell people that I am self taught ...

Diana
Old 2008-07-21, 4:30pm

Quote:
ventilation is overrated, an open window will suit you just fine
Quote:
At my one and only class I was told that "if you get dizzy, just step outside for some fresh air"
Quote:
Some cross ventilation is all that's needed.

Quote:
I continue to hear that you do not need to wear a respirator when you use enamels.. and as many before~ cross ventilation is all you need..
Quote:
(1) Don't worry about ventilation and fuming is OK as long as a window is open.

Quote:
I'll echo what others are saying about getting a lot of bad advice about ventilation; fortunately, I didn't listen. There are still too many folks who discount this vital issue.

I can't say anything about enamels since I've never used them but I can damn sure speak on the ventilation thing... I was introduced to flameworking in an environment where ventilation was not given the proper consideration. I'm not knocking anyone since I'm responsible for my well being but I don't think it was stressed quite strongly enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C7EK1YhCiE

This kinda explains my experience....