TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2007-03-19, 9:14am

What a wonderful time. Great meeting you - Carolyn and Wesley. Carolyn - sent your picture to your Gracefufire email address. Let me know here if you didn't get it. I'll post later with a URL to go see the pictures from the event. I am already excited about next year.
Old 2007-03-19, 11:28am
I WISH I had that figure!

HI- Tracey - I had a great time too and am even going to get back my hat!!!

I haven't gotten the email - remember these is a period in my email so its either

graceful.fire@yahoo.com

or

gracefulfire.glass@yahoo.com

Thanks so much!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My eBay auctions:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-19, 5:10pm

Anyone have any photos??
Please??

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-19, 5:44pm
critter creator

Yep! Only one, though. But it's a keeper

Old 2007-03-19, 7:37pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

We just got home about twenty minutes ago. Whew! Long drive...

Nice pic of you and Gianni Toso! We were up all night last night talking to him. What an amazing, intelligent, funny man!

I'm exhausted. Time for me to put my jammies on and go to sleep...

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-03-19, 7:51pm

Nice Photo Wes!
Tink you didn't FLY???
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-20, 5:57am

As promised, these are the pictures I took:

http://picasaweb.google.com/taalfaro...kingConference
Old 2007-03-20, 6:08am

Wow, great photos! It was great fun meeting everyone. Love Wes' bugs!!!! Val Cox is the absolute best!
What a great conference.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2007-03-20, 6:12am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Paula, next time we're flying. That was just too long a drive. Argh. I hate being trapped in a car for that long. LOL!

Pam, I am SO GLAD we finally got to meet! Great pics, Tracey!

Here is my mini-report:
We got back from the conference late last night. What a wonderful time! I would be hard pressed to say what the best part was, but... Well, here's a short list of some of the best things in no particular order:

Hanging out with Gianni Toso
Hanging out with Barry Lafler
Hanging out with Marcie Davis
Meeting Virginia Slawson
Drinking the grrlie drink that Loren Stump made for me
Finding the PERFECT pair of flameworking glasses
Talking to Milon Townsend about my business
Getting a piece of work from Milon
Friday night at the bar (ALWAYS a high point)
Seeing some old friends
Really feeling like part of the community for the first time ever

The only not-so-good things were the weather and its effects. Because of the weather and other things...:

Fred Birkhill couldn't make it
Shane Fero wasn't there
The Judeman's demo was cancelled
The Friday night stuff was cancelled

We had a totally outstanding time! Gianni Toso is a truly remarkable human being. It was the opportunity to watch him demo and hear him lecture that made me decide I simply HAD TO go this year. It was a rare and priceless opportunity.

Also Available in

Last edited by Tink; 2007-03-20 at 8:33am.
Old 2007-03-20, 6:13am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Fabulous photos, Tracey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also Available in

Old 2007-03-20, 8:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Gianni Toso is a truly remarkable human being. It was the opportunity to watch him demo and hear him lecture that made me decide I simply HAD TO go this year. It was a rare and priceless opportunity.
I so agree. I was riveted to his every word. It's not often that you you hear someone make so many profound observations in so short a time as was that lecture. His scope of education, his work, his sensitivity -- all awesome. Tink, you are indeed blessed to have had the priceless opportunity to hang out with him afterward.

Tink, it was great meeting you--the Toledo Lunatic Fringe indeed! haha! -- I had a super time, it was so nice to be able to visit with so many, but that said, I missed catching up with so many. It was over all too soon.

The demos were so good. I have some pictures that I'll post. Wes, that picture of you and Gianni--sweet!
Old 2007-03-20, 8:27am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Virgina, you are an absolute delight! Of course, now that you've met me, you may decide to invoke the Secret Clause in the teaching contract. ROFL! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! TINK IS COMING!!!!!

We hung out at the hotel bar on Saturday night with Marcie Davis, Steve Sizelove (I adore him!), Loren Stump and his wife (Loren likes grrlie drinks, and made me one. LOL!), Sharon Owens (Inspired Fire) and Gianni Toso.

Gianni was so intelligent and profound... He put into words EXACTLY how I feel about the artform, inspiration and purpose. He was also pricelessly funny. This one (which took place in the bar Saturday night) pretty much made me pee my pants, and I am not kidding. I apologize if my attempt to give the following text an Italian accent offends anyone. It's just kind of essential for setting the scene.

Young Guy: I'd like to take some photos of you guys to document my trip. Is that ok with everyone?

Group: No problem

Gianni Toso: Are you-a gonna use-a the flash?

Young Guy: I don't have to if it would bother you.

Gianni: Well, I'm a Venetian, so please-a don't use the flash.

Young Guy: *stands there looking pretty confused*

Gianni: Hey, if you use-a da flash, you make-a da Venetian blind.

*snork* Ok. So maybe it was the fruity grrlie drink Loren made for me, but that struck me as ridiculously hilarious. ROFL!

Oh, and Gianni said he got these strong vibes from John and me, and that we're perfect spiritual partners And he also said that I work too hard. LOL!

Also Available in

Old 2007-03-20, 8:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
... Gianni: Hey, if you use-a da flash, you make-a da Venetian blind.

*snork* Ok. So maybe it was the fruity grrlie drink Loren made for me, but that struck me as ridiculously hilarious. ROFL!

Oh, and Gianni said he got these strong vibes from John and me, and that we're perfect spiritual partners And he also said that I work too hard. LOL!
*Snork* indeed! I would have peed my pants. Oh, to have that sense of timing, and that humor. He's profoundly observant, so I think he got it right about you two. And you do work too hard. I've got to find the link to those human hamster balls that I'll post. You do need one.

So, where were you when I was looking for you guys that night-? Jeez, evading me, no doubt. Look what fun you had! Hah, I'll remember. LOL. And no, I don't think I'll be invoking the Secret Clause either. You are wild and wacky sweet. Nope. You're not getting out of the contract!
Old 2007-03-20, 9:15am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

We were in the bar, of course. LOL! Most of the time, anyway. I was up in Marcie's room for a while being interviewed for her Glasscasters program. When the interview gets posted on her site, just remember I was full of Stump JoyJuice at the time

I drank more this weekend than I have the last 25 years combined.

Yes. I desperately need a Human Hamster Ball. LOL! I get pretty wired when I can't work. I start feeling trapped, and end up with a bunch of energy that I can't expend. John and Donna were probably ready to duct tape me and abandon me somewhere Saturday night: I was literally bouncing off the walls.

Also Available in

Old 2007-03-22, 9:49am

I have a few to share as well. It was a great conference. My fourth, and I think my favorite as there were more soft-glass flame workers represented this time, which is always nice to see.

Gianni Toso

Because of bad weather and a couple no-show demonstrators, Paul Stankard acted as a fill in. What a delight! He and Loren teamed up at one point (partly because Loren was running an hour or two overtime!)

Paul asked Michelle in the audience to finish his Rose of Sharon marble, which was being auctioned off as he made it ($675.) Quite a bit of pressure for someone who admitted she'd never worked in soft glass before. She did a great job!

Pam Dugger did a beautiful job and made us mandrel-wound glass artists proud to be represented at the conference.

Demo in the Glass House

Steve Sizelove, his demo of this figure vessel was a highlight of the conference for me.

Val

Old 2007-03-22, 10:41am
critter creator

Val,

Thanks for posting the photos!!! I always wish that I hadn't forgotten to take pictures...

Wes.
Old 2007-03-22, 10:45am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Nice photos, Val!

Steve Sizelove is such a nice guy. I remember being in a Lucio Bubacco class with him a few years ago... His female figures were about the same as mine at that time. See what happens when you practice, practice, practice??? LOL!

Also Available in

Old 2007-03-22, 10:57am
critter creator

Hey Tink, I wanted to meet you at the conference, but somehow didn't get a round to it I DO remember seeing a guy in a kilt at one point, but just didn't put 2 + 2 together... Maybe some other time.

Wes.
Old 2007-03-22, 12:16pm

Wow what great photos!! Thanks for sharing them!!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-23, 5:40am
Scientific Glass Girl

the conference was cool, as it always is. loren was great, steve sizelove was AMAZING. we actually got to have a little private class with him as the glass art club and it was fantastic. he just blew glass for seven hours as we all asked questions and harassed him..and he answered and harassed back. he just seemed like a real person, talking about all the things we talk about in school all the time..opinions on pipemaking..etc. his work is awesome, i love it.

the wheaton demo was interesting.

tink it was so awesome and such a surprise to see you because i hadn't seen this thread prior to the conference and i was sitting with my friends at the preconference seminar and i was like OMG THATS JOHN! ... OMG THATS TINK!! i thought it was really cool to see beadmakers there.

oh and i scored a "friends don't let friends wig wag" shirt.. so it was a good weekend.

i'm kinda bummed i didn't get to meet some of the friends on this thread.. i'm sure i probably saw you but didn't get a chance to say hi. sorry.

now the school is back to normal..and we can't wait until next year!

Old 2007-03-23, 5:51am
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourpawsglass View Post
As promised, these are the pictures I took:

http://picasaweb.google.com/taalfaro...kingConference
tracy awesome pictures!!

sorry, but one of the pictures is mislabeled. the picture with the red vessel, figure, white floral goblet, and murrini vase is not student work. thats the visiting artist case..i wish we were that good!!

the next picture is of a silvered vase and a ? goblet my friend ian made and a piece of glass my friend michelle coldworked. its fantastic to hold in your hands. and the next picture is of goblets made by my friend steve. and the bacon and eggs goblet is from my friend jason. he is the man.

Old 2007-03-23, 8:42am

I have fixed the photo album. I wish the pieces in the Glass Center were better labeled. Some of the shelves were so high that I couldn't make out the names. Had to stand on my tip-toes just to get some of the pictures. Believe me, the pieces are VERY GOOD.
Old 2007-03-23, 5:16pm
Scientific Glass Girl

tracey your pictures were great.. i told my friends about them, so i'm going to link them the page if its okay with you! i'm glad you got to come enjoy the conference.