Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-11-18, 12:26pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Nicely done deb.
I usually don't put lines any closer to the rim than about 2/3 from the center. I find my flower gets to big in diameter, sort of flattens out, and sometimes actually touches the marble side when I don't do it just right....often. Remember that the distance from center determines the height of the elements from the bottom when done. I do however, alter the 'time' some elements are put on to adjust that height; such as putting the staymen or flower center in after some imploding is done so they/it stays low in the flower's center.

The dark plum is a good combination. Try Blackberry over white and Experimental Green #5 over white or yellow or red.

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-11-18 at 12:28pm.
Old 2010-11-18, 3:21pm
Glassmangler

Sorry for the huge pic. This is an undersea implosion, but the principle is identical. I put dots/lines all the way out to the edge of the maria.

Old 2010-11-19, 4:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Nicely done deb.
I usually don't put lines any closer to the rim than about 2/3 from the center. I find my flower gets to big in diameter, sort of flattens out, and sometimes actually touches the marble side when I don't do it just right....often. Remember that the distance from center determines the height of the elements from the bottom when done. I do however, alter the 'time' some elements are put on to adjust that height; such as putting the staymen or flower center in after some imploding is done so they/it stays low in the flower's center.

The dark plum is a good combination. Try Blackberry over white and Experimental Green #5 over white or yellow or red.
Ahhh.... now I understand why my petals are flat... Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-19, 7:03pm

Brilliant advise as always had to take a break from implosions and make some Christmas ornaments. So little time and so much glass to melt gotta love it!
Old 2010-11-20, 10:27am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I'll mention a couple of other technique things here. I usually strive to have the upper level of my petals at the equator of the finished marble when viewed from the side; that way the flower 'fills' the view when looked at from above the marble without falling off the edges. Does that make sense? With some looks such as having long upright stamen or extended flower parts you don't want this so work accordingly. I've seen Kabuki 'reach' into the marble from the lens side to grab the stamen and pull them up almost to the top of the lens.

I also notice that a lot of beginners end up with their flowers being 'stubby' on the bottom; that is, not comming down to a fine point. The trick here is when your implosion is almost completed and you have that last dimple on the maria face let the marble cool somewhat and then heat just the area around that dimple and down into the dimple. When it is nice and hot, reach in to the bottom of the dimple with a 3mm or 4mm clear rod and grab the bottom and the dimple sides and pull it out. What you want is to pull the bottom out and stretch the bottom part of the petals down into a point AND pull some of the maria edge glass with them. this will also allow you to pull out any air trapped along the lower petals. Pull this glass out and swipe it off untill you have a nice short stubby cone with a good straight petal color termination down the center of the cone. Holding the marble horizontal you then heat the whole gather and let it form a sphere and start rounding out.

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-11-20 at 10:36am.
Old 2010-11-20, 11:23am
Life is good

I'm so glad I subscribed to this thread. I have learned so much. Thanks to everyone that has contributed. And very nice work Deb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-20, 12:43pm

The more I read, the more I understand - now putting it into practise is another matter, but at least I understand what I 'should' be doing..
Thank you once again
Here's another implosion/marble question.... how exactly do you use a marble mold... mine seem to end up oval, rather than round, so obviously Im doing something wrong - well that's not unusal for me

Old 2010-11-20, 1:07pm
Never give up

Target type multi layered stringers make petals with colored edges different from the petal center. Try 3 or 4 layers.
When you do the layers how do you apply them. In rod form or do you cut the rod in small disks, or do you use lines? I have been doing pendants for awhile, and I not good at figuring out what I do wrong or right, and how I got what I got. Thanks
Old 2010-11-20, 3:45pm

Use heat and gravity to get your marble as round as possible then use the marble mold by getting glass hot, but not so hot that the center is mushy, and roll one side in a mold that is just a bit smaller than your finished marble watch the edge of the mold for gaps that will tell you where your marble is not round. Keep heating and rolling until round. Once you are satisfied with the first side switch punty to the other side and roll it again. The mold will help you to get your mable round and then use flame to polish out any little spots or marks.

To make target type multi layered stringers just encase your starting color rod with another color. I start by getting my rod warm and then striping color on to rod starting at the end and drawing downward. then when it is cover i punty up to end get it good and hot, marver a few times to make smooth then heat and pull.
Old 2010-11-20, 10:18pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

cakelady,
The stringer is multi layered; say a white center covered with an orange layer then a dark cobalt layer melter all in and pulled to about 2mm or 3mm. When you put the stringer onto the marias face you simply draw lines with the stringer. No need to make layers onto the maria. When the stringer implodes/condences it will stretch and sort of smear and will show a petal that has a white center with an orange rim and a cobalt rim around the whole thing. It acts sort of like what you would see if you made an angle slice thru the stringer and stretched and flattened it out. If you look deep into the flower after it's done you will see that the cobalt and red 'rims' are still there but deep down at the bottom of the petal. JMeader's pic shows the effect well. As you can see the plum has stretched down along the petals to the very bottom but is still on the 'rim' of the petal.

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-11-20 at 11:00pm.
Old 2010-11-20, 10:28pm

Sweet I gotta try that.
Old 2010-11-20, 10:44pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

effemess,
Here's exactly how I use a marble mold. I have the common hemispherical molds so will describe their use. I almost never use the bottom or cup portion of the molds, just the rim. I use a mold size that is about 2/3 or 3/4 the size of the glass gather. When I have my petals imploded and the maria is semi-spherical using surface tension and gravity I get the whole mass quite hot but not saggy hot. I pull it out of the flame and let it cool 5 or so seconds to form a 'skin' on the glass. I touch it gently into the mold at 45 deg angle while simultaneously spinning it. As it makes contact with the mold I lift the punty up to verticle and down to almost horizontal, spinning all the time. I do this several times. I let the mold rim work on the gather until the larger unused part of the original glass blank touches the rim, almost 3/4 of the sphere in most cases. The mold will tell you when it is round as it will start to turn very smoothly and have a kind of a slight 'drag'. This is not the drag of softened glass bunching up and catching but a velvety 'hesitation sliding thing' that you will recognize when you fine it. Also watch the reflections of lights near/over your bench on the marble surface. These light reflections will 'jump' as you spin the nonround marble and get smoother and smoother as you get rounder and rounder. As you are doing this let the core temp drop to get some stability because from now on you are mostly concerned with the surface portion. When done on this bottom side fire polish this side and punti up to the bottom. Now melt off the extra glass from the blank and use the mold the same way to do the lens side. When satisfied drop off the punti and fire polish/melt in the punti mark.... put in kiln and wait

One thing I have over my bench that is a great help is a fluorescent tube light. The long light ribbon reflection easily points out bad spots as the reflection will distort when you hold the marble up and turn it.

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-11-20 at 10:52pm. Reason: spelling and syntax... sin tax?
Old 2010-11-20, 10:57pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

The last post dropped of a final comment.

One thing I find very helpful is a fluorescent light. The reflection of the long tube forms a long bright line on the marble surface that distorts when you rotate a bad spot past it. Easy to spot where you need to round up more.
Old 2010-11-20, 11:01pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

What happened??? Now the comment is there... wierd.
Old 2010-11-21, 7:38am
Heart of Flame

Thanks so much for all your information Cheng076! I am a newbie both in soft glass and boro but love doing implosions. I have been trying to improve the look of my marbles and your information helps greatly!

Old 2010-11-21, 8:14am
Life is good

Excellent information, and explained with great detail. Insight that is truly invaluable. Thank you so much. If you don't already have a book or tutorial, you should seriously consider it.

Old 2010-11-21, 9:02am
Never give up

Thanks cheng076 helpful information. I have got to try it. Thanks again.
Old 2010-11-23, 8:17pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T View Post
Cheng,

If we had rep point here you would get all of mine.

Awesome information and explanation of different implosion techniques.

I know I am repeating and quoting myself here.
But besides saying Thank You Cheng! I would also like to note that I personally think this is the best thread on implosions or the compression technique that has ever been posted on LE.

Once again Thank you Cheng for so freely giving out this information,
for answering questions and being so kind with your knowledge.

I do agree if you ever do decide to write a book, a tutorial, a DVD or a PDF, I would be first in line to purchase a copy. Your clear, concise instructions and explanations already have me hooked and wanting more.

Old 2010-11-24, 2:54am

Once again - thank you.. Now I realise why my marbles aren't round...because Im trying to push them in the mold....

Old 2010-11-24, 5:14am

If anyone needs help with soft glass flowers I'd be glad to help. Dan G
Old 2010-11-24, 6:18am
birdergirl ~o~

Beautiful!
Is the process much different for soft glass I'm just trying tiny off madrel implosions.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2010-11-24, 6:22am
Glassmangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Beautiful!
Is the process much different for soft glass I'm just trying tiny off madrel implosions.
Soft glass melts way faster . Other than that, the technique is the same.
Old 2010-11-24, 8:24am

Those are beautiful Dan.
Old 2010-11-24, 11:14am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Dan,
I love the two marbles you posted in post #50. Reds and oranges are my favorite colors to work with. I just wish the boro versions were not so 'boily'. Thanks for shareing those mibs.
Old 2010-11-24, 8:48pm

Thanks everyone I owe it all to John K he is the best.I'm going to try boro soon but it's like working at half speed. It takes so long to get it to start moving. Dan
Old 2010-11-25, 5:27am
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
If anyone needs help with soft glass flowers I'd be glad to help. Dan G
I really need help. I know Iam close but not close enough. If you don't mind I would LOVE the help.
Old 2010-11-25, 5:52am

What do you need to know. Here are 2 more I made last night. Dan

Old 2010-11-25, 6:01am
Never give up

These are my pendants. I want to know how you get the beautiful layers in your flowers. I just can't seems to get it.
Old 2010-11-25, 7:47am
Glassmangler

A pendant isn't going to have the same depth as a marble unless it is a round pendant (not flat backed). If you look at Dan's flowers, about half of the depth is from tapering and pulling (either by hand or with gravity) the stem and petals down to a point.

Looking at your examples Kim, it looks like that when you're flattening the bottom, the petals are being smashed up into a cool layer of glass above them in the maria and 'squishing' flat. Spend a little more time keeping the entire maria hot so that the petals open naturally. (I like the squished look on frit implosions however).

To get more 'layers', maybe hold off on adding the second set of petals until you've got the first set worked in? The further 'away' from the initial dots your next layer is on the maria, the more space between the two sets of petals.
Old 2010-11-25, 11:10am
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterGlass View Post
A pendant isn't going to have the same depth as a marble unless it is a round pendant (not flat backed). If you look at Dan's flowers, about half of the depth is from tapering and pulling (either by hand or with gravity) the stem and petals down to a point.

Looking at your examples Kim, it looks like that when you're flattening the bottom, the petals are being smashed up into a cool layer of glass above them in the maria and 'squishing' flat. Spend a little more time keeping the entire maria hot so that the petals open naturally. (I like the squished look on frit implosions however).

To get more 'layers', maybe hold off on adding the second set of petals until you've got the first set worked in? The further 'away' from the initial dots your next layer is on the maria, the more space between the two sets of petals.
Wow I have to try that. Thanks hope I have time today. All of a sudden its starting to make since. Thanks again.