No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2007-04-09, 7:08am
ManBearPig

Default Anyone going to BeadFest?

I just got my confirmation that I'm teaching 4 classes at BeadFest this August. 2 glass and 2 wire. Just wanted to see if anyone else was planning on going...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-04-09, 9:22am

I plan on attending. What type of glass classes are you teaching?

Scarlett

There are sorts of dynamics going on in the world that we know nothing about
Old 2007-04-09, 9:45am
ManBearPig

I'm teaching a pendant class and a beginning borosilicate beadmaking class. The beadmaking class is something new for me. I'm planning on focusing on developing color, the properties of different types of colors, encasing clear, etc.

The pendant class will be similar to what I taught last year. Implosions pendants, flowers, drops, vortexes, opals, etc.

Old 2007-04-09, 9:49am
Missing presumed fed

Which one? Looks like there's one in Atlanta and one in the Philadelphia area (King of Prussia/Valley Forge). I'll be at the Philadelphia one at some point, I'm sure, as usual just roaming around randomly taking up space in people's booths when they're trying to sell stuff.
Old 2007-04-09, 10:23am
ManBearPig

The Philadelphia one. That's the only one that they teach any glass classes at.

Old 2007-04-11, 4:28am
Damn Frit Bitch

Sniff! I was hoping that Atlanta was becoming big Time!!! I'll be going to Atlanta since I can drive. It's new and will eventually be good, but it's slow....
Old 2007-04-12, 7:17am
Lady Firebird

I'll be at the one in Atlanta, because I'm probably going to be working for Jane Overman (Jane's Fibers & Beads) there. She's got the opportunity to go to Africa in August and will be back right after the Atlanta show ends, so she and I had a little chat about it.

GTT Scorpion torch & Regalia oxycon

Old 2007-04-16, 5:28pm
Janell

Default BeadFest

I will be there in Phili booth 1318. I will have lots of lampwork supplies and of course our handmade beads.
Stop by and say Hi.
Janelson Lampwork
www.centralbead.net
Old 2007-04-17, 6:20am
ManBearPig

I'm hoping that we'll be able to get a booth up there. They still have a few available. Last year nobody had any borosilicate glass there. Not Arrow Springs, not ABR, nobody. I took about 30 pounds with me to sell in class, and I sold every bit of it.

I'm going to take a bunch of extra glass anyways even if we don't get a booth. So if any of you need some glass while you're there, come find me!

Old 2007-04-19, 1:07pm
Glass addict

I had planned to go, but they moved it from October to a weekend in August where I'll be at a wedding. So no Beadfest for me.
Old 2007-04-20, 6:32am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldduck View Post
I had planned to go, but they moved it from October to a weekend in August where I'll be at a wedding. So no Beadfest for me.
Yeah. It threw a wrench into things for me as well. I had to juggle a few things to do it, but it's a pretty good payday for me to go, so I had to make it work...

Old 2007-04-20, 9:28am

I'll be there vending, I share a booth with Hye on Beads. Sadly, Arrow Springs won't be there, I think it's a time crunch coming so soon after the Gathering (although I'm still nagging them to change their mind). Jeri
www.jeribeads.com
Old 2007-04-20, 11:24am
ManBearPig

Hmm.... I guess I'm going to bring a lot of glass to sell then.

Old 2007-04-25, 5:11pm
Janell

I will have Moretti,Vetrofond and CIM by the rod or or 1/4 , 1/2 or 1lb however you want to purchase. I do this for a living and have a booth which I paid quite a bit for. Doesnt seem fair for us who paid for a booth, for you to be able to sell to anyone. Heck why didnt I just set up in the parking lot......My BOOTH NUMBER is1318 I will also have tools and frit.
Janelson Lampwork
www.centralbead.net

Last edited by Janell; 2007-04-25 at 5:20pm.
Old 2007-04-26, 3:50am
BeadsonCypress

Is the Beadfest - Philadelphia out in Reading where it was last year or did they change to another location closer to Philadelphia? Last year at Reading it was very poorly attended, but the classes they didn't cancel were great!
Old 2007-04-26, 10:10am
ManBearPig

It's in Valley Forge this year.

http://www.stepbystepbeads.com/beadf...iladelphia.cfm

I know everyone complained about last year's location, but I liked it, aside from the lack of ventilation in the lampworking classrooms...

Old 2007-05-23, 7:53am
ManBearPig

The classes up now:

http://www.beadfest.com/beadfest/classes/index.cfm

There are a lot of glass classes there this year. I submitted an advanced level class, but they didn't accept it. Hopefully with as many glass classes as they have this year, next year they will take some advanced ones.

Old 2007-05-23, 4:05pm
Dangerous Woman

I'll be going. It's what I live for!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-05-27, 7:47pm
Scientific Glass Girl

will be there too!

Old 2007-05-29, 6:35am
ManBearPig

What classes are everyone taking? I'm probably going to take John Winter's class. I haven't done much soft glass in the past couple of years, but the type of soft glass work I like is the type he teaches. There are a couple others I want to take, but they are on days that I'm teaching.

Old 2007-06-21, 8:21am
Master Procrastinator

I'll be there. We have a wedding in Philly that weekend. I decided to go up a day early & an taking a boro class on Friday. Is that the one you're teaching? I hope so. If not, can you give links to your classes?

Old 2007-06-21, 10:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouncil View Post
Sniff! I was hoping that Atlanta was becoming big Time!!! I'll be going to Atlanta since I can drive. It's new and will eventually be good, but it's slow....
Atlanta is doable for me too. Can you tell me more about what that one is like? I did read the Link to the Atlanta one, but they didn't
show any classes yet.
Can I learn jewelry making? I mean I love glass but I've been wanting to learn to use my beads and I just can't get my mind around how to do it!

Thanks for any info.
Angela
PS: I wish they would have the Philly one right in Philly! It's such a great city! I wonder if I could justify going there again. I used to live there years ago. I don't remember where Reading is....
Old 2007-06-22, 3:22am
BeadsonCypress

Me too.....but, Reading was a disaster last year, so they moved it to King of Prussia (about 1/2 hour outside of Philly)...Anyone taking John Winter's classes?
Old 2007-06-22, 11:23am
ManBearPig

I'm taking John's Friday class.

I personally thought Reading was fine, aside from the lampworking classrooms. Word is they are working on a location in Philly for next year. The place in Ft. Washington closed, so they had to find a new place and from what I hear things are booked so far in advance that they had to find whatever they could find for last year and this year.

Old 2007-06-22, 3:16pm
Word to your mother

I'll be there. I'm not taking any classes, but I'll definitely be around.

Old 2007-06-23, 7:03am
stacijane on Etsy

I'm thinking about gong to philly. My 2 girls l-o-v-e the mall in KOP. I could leave them at the mall and sneak over to the beadfest! If only i could find something hubby would be interested in we could make a weekend of it!

Old 2007-06-25, 10:43am

when and where is the Atlanta beadfeast? have i missed it? i sure hope not.

LAURIE HUNT
Old 2007-06-25, 10:48am
ManBearPig

August 10-12

http://www.beadfest.com/beadfest/atlanta.cfm

Old 2007-06-25, 10:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

Thank you so much.

LAURIE HUNT
Old 2007-06-25, 11:22am
Missing presumed fed

From what I hear, one issue with having BeadFest in Philadelphia itself is that the Convention Center wouldn't let them have open flames, so no flameworking classes or metalworking classes that required torches. I've also heard, although not specifically in connection with Beadfest, that shows don't like using the Convention Center because you're required to use union labor for tasks you'd normally do yourself, so it makes events much more expensive. I don't know how true that is, but it did seem like a lot of events that used to be held in the city moved out into the outlying counties (like to the Fort Washington Expo Center where BeadFest used to be) when the Convention Center in Philadelphia was built.