Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-01-08, 7:37am

Default Happy New Year from Beads of Courage

I want to wish everyone in the glass community a Happy New Year from all of us at Beads of Courage. I got the latest figures from our CEO and Founder, Jean Baruch, and thought I would let you know where we stand today.

We are in 60 children’s hospitals throughout the United States, New Zealand and Japan. We support over 10,000 children coping with a serious illness. This estimate includes all children we serve who are coping with treatment for cancer, a life threatening cardiac or blood condition, or children coping with traumatic burn injuries. We now provide the Beads of Courage Program for children with cancer, blood conditions, cardiac conditions and burn injuries. All beads donated by artists are given to children for treatment milestones.

Unfortunately, many children we support die each year. The butterfly beads continue to be in high demand from all our member hospitals. There is nothing that can come close to the beauty of a handmade butterfly bead that brings much needed comfort to parents who are coping with the loss of their child.

In 2010 we already have 10 new hospitals ready to start the Beads of Courage Program.

We do depend on financial contributions too to help pay for the manufactured program beads we must purchase to keep up with demand (and for program integrity/consistency). We appreciate all donations.

Thank you to everyone who has supported us in 2009 and all of the years since we began this journey. Each bead is a treasure and we appreciate every one that comes to us. We depend upon bead donations which truly bring the ART to our “arts-in-medicine” mission. Thank you for your glass, your talent and that most precious gift, your time. I look forward to working with you in 2010.

Robert Simmons
Director for Bead Donations
Beads of Courage, Inc.

Last edited by RSimmons; 2010-01-08 at 7:49am. Reason: Missed a word
Old 2010-01-09, 8:47pm
yukue fumei

hi Robert!
thank you so much for posting this....
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

we are trying to organize something on facebook to get more butterfly beads to you....I am thinking of extending it here too.....
thank you for all you do!
I will keep you posted, but in the meantime, if you have any thoughts or needs, please let me know.
thank you so much,
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-19, 6:17pm

Default HELLO

Happy New Year Robert and the rest of the folks at BEADS OF COURAGE. I am relatively new to lampworking and as you can imagine I have plenty of practice beads laying around. I love reading in this forum and have heard of this program in the past. Well I think it is just wonderful what you guys are doing for these kids. So this past weekend I made it a point to gather all of the beads I was not using, string them, and count them. I am pleased to say that I have 266 beads on their way to the program. Keep up the good work - I will continue to send beads - I am also trying to bring myself to make some butterflies - but this one is tough for me......given their meaning....being a mom and all - Take Care ~Lori

Here is a picture of what I am sending~ I hope the kids like them.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-19, 6:33pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Lori: That is AWESOME, congrats to you, wow.

~
~
~
Old 2010-01-20, 8:56am

That looks like a great collection to donate. Thanks very much for sending those out to us.

Robert
Old 2010-01-23, 5:05pm
Carol Bouler Owens

Smile What is your address

I would and I'm sure others would like to know where to send beads??

Quote:
That looks like a great collection to donate. Thanks very much for sending those out to us.

Robert
Old 2010-01-23, 5:23pm
Carol Bouler Owens

Hi, I found the address and the website!

Beads of Courage, Inc. 5301 S Houghton Road Tucson AZ 85747
Old 2010-01-23, 10:53pm
Obsessed Blogger

Thanks for the update Robert! That's what is going to be so great about this forum. Everyone will be able to see, kind of in real time, where Beads of Courage is moving and shaking.

Also, we'll be able to see what beadmakers are doing...great donation there Lori! I hope others show what they have and inspire others too...as well as some challenges that I know have gone on at LE!

I hope that families and clinicians catch wind of this and come on by and share their stories too. Being a part of the Beads of Courage team we get those stories passed on to us frequently and I can't tell you how it makes my days.

THANK YOU to everyone for the support that you show. And THANK YOU to Corri for allowing us to have a special place right here on LE. Without all of you Beads of Courage would not be what it is. Dare I say it wouldn't exist? I know I speak for Jean Baruch when I say, we LOVE our glass bead artists!

::
Old 2010-01-24, 3:49am

It would be most helpful to have a sticky with the address for mailing the beads. I have a huge bowlful I'd love to send off. Plus, if I ever get over my farmville addiction, I want to try making those butterfly beads again. My first couple of attempts stunk and I gave up in disgust. I haven't forgotten, however, and intend to try again.

well duh. I missed the post with the address. sorry about that.

Last edited by DarleenMB; 2010-01-24 at 3:49am. Reason: can't read
Old 2010-01-24, 10:23am

Cool thread. I guess I need to make more butterflies~~~
Richard, did you receive my box? There are 2 addresses and I never know if I send it to the right one.
Thanks

Old 2010-01-24, 11:12am

Quote:
Cool thread. I guess I need to make more butterflies~~~
Richard, did you receive my box? There are 2 addresses and I never know if I send it to the right one.
Thanks
I'll have to check with the office in Tucson, I'm in Atlanta and 'telecommute'. Shoot me a PM with details on when you sent it, etc.

Robert
Old 2010-01-24, 12:37pm
Obsessed Blogger

Good idea Darlene. I'll work up some stickies with the address and links to tutorials for hearts and butterflies as well.