Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-13, 12:01pm

Question Spot Heating on a HH?

Hi Everyone,
I just recently took my first lampworking class. I've been reading up on different techniques and tutorials and things and a lot of them say to heat just one area of the bead at a time. For example, the flower tutorials say to heat one petal, work with that, and then move on to the next petal. Is this possible on a HotHead? When I work on a bead, the whole bead is heated up the whole time. Usually the whole bead is bright red - I'm starting to think this might not always be correct either? I think if I could figure this part out, that would be a big step for me.

Thanks everyone!
Heather
Old 2006-12-13, 12:47pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I"m learning on a HH too...
You'll need to let the bead cool (lose the glow) before you can make one spot hotter than the rest.
If you're worried, do some general experiments on those weirdo colours you don't think you'll ever use.

I know how hot/cool my bead is by how fast it starts to glow again. Sometimes I think it's cool, and as soon as it even kisses the flame, it'll start to glow again... other times it'll take a couple of seconds.

I also use the top and bottom of the flame, and heat the bottom 'hemisphere' of the bead on top of the flame, or the top 'hemisphere' comeing up into the bottom of the flame.

Last edited by ellyloo; 2006-12-13 at 12:54pm.
Old 2006-12-13, 12:52pm

Thanks Ellyloo!
How far is too far to let it cool down while you're still working on it? In a lot of the tutorials, you can see the colors in the bead really well while the person is working on it. My beads usually don't start to show their final colors until they've been allowed to cool for a minute or so. I've always been afraid that after that point, they'll crack if I reheat them. I still have a lot of experimenting to do!
Old 2006-12-13, 1:02pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

yep, experiment! Don't let it cool off without keeping it familiar with the flame... flashing it through the tip of the flame every coupe of seconds...

If the bead is red/glowy, it won't take much to push it to the yellow "shifty" colour where all the colours start slipping and sliding around the mandrel. (it's good for a one colour bead when you want to get the shape juuuuust right....or if you want a REALLY round bead... )
Old 2006-12-13, 1:09pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

PS: how big is your flame? I don't turn up my flame very much at all.. I can easily reach the tip of it without reaching. it might help to experiment with size of the flame too.

PPS: I'm not an expert. Still learning my self.

Last edited by ellyloo; 2006-12-13 at 2:35pm.
Old 2006-12-13, 10:11pm

All great tips Ellyloo - Thanks!! I feel like I get a little better every time I try another bead, but it helps a ton to have someone point you in the right direction!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heather

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." - George Bernard Shaw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-14, 12:27pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Me too!