Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-04-28, 5:36pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

The chair is gorgeous! I made a Hobby Lobby pilgrimage this week - my team at work gave me a gift card as a retirement prezzie, and I wanted to go look at storage for the studio. ANYway, they had a couple of GORGEOUS metal bistro and patio sets, all in the bright tropical colors I'm using - but the prices were just TOO high. I'll just live on with my 5 year old resin set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-05-01, 12:06pm
Practicing perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
You are right so I now have this plan. This is a lay out I finally settled on. I have my lampwork bench back to back with my metal smithing bench. I can easily see out the doors and the window and I do not have my back to the door which is a huge No No for me.

My glass shelving unit will have a large wood dresser under it that will hold all of my equipment neat and tidy. I will buy a stainless steel rolling tool box that will hold my kiln next to my bench for torching and then I will roll it over in front of the window to keep an eye on it from the house until it finishes ramping down. It also gives me lots more storage.

The two metal Hon bookcases on the right are topped with marble that I use for making murrini and twisties etc.

Also this layout suits the plans for the intake air, exhausted air and the fuels to be piped in right to the work benches. The small AC will be installed over the window up high.

I have the elelctrical all mapped out now along with the ducting for the exhausted air and it finally is a plan I am very happy with.
This is a great layout for the space. Nice studio. Is it finished?

Old 2012-05-01, 5:56pm
Salt Box Beads

Oh Inez, Thank you for the kind words and I am sad to say we haven't even started on the inside yet! We have had a very busy time lately and finally this week ( DH comes home tonight) and we will be able to start on our shed.

I should have some pics by the end of the week but it will be going a lot slower then Pats mainly because I only have my DH for a few days every other week. Oh well better late than never.
Old 2012-05-05, 12:25pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Update on Progress

Not only is it NOT finished we havn't even started. Try as hard as we can with hubby's new job change, my trashing my feet with plantar fasciitis we fell so far behind on yard work we haven't even considered the studio. But we are getting close. I did install my new plant hangers, they look great but you can barely see the one on the right in the photo.

Then Daphne tried to bite the mailman and we only have a three foot fence and he stupidly put his hand out to her so she promptly tried to remove it!!, and that spurred me on to another project which is an arbor over the mailbox area, we have a really large mailbox in the attic we will bring it out, put it next to the small one and use it for packages and the smaller one you see in the photos for the mail.

Although I have wanted the arbor there for years so its all good.

Here are some pics of the arbor project as we go along. Moving that boulder took DH all day. The rock is mostly iron and weighs about half a ton.

It was a huge job but he did it quite well being a geeky scientist kind of guy, he had it all figured out. A geeky scientist Whom I adore by the way.

Then after this we hope to start on the studio in two weeks when my sweetie gets home from work.

Take Care everyone and check back because we really are going to get to the studio, really....I promise....of course we need to finish the arbor area first...
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-05-06 at 9:25am.
Old 2012-05-19, 8:33pm
It's about having fun!

I was just looking through the studio section, this is so cool Lorraine! Is it all done yet?
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-05-19, 9:06pm
Salt Box Beads

Uh...not yet but we are getting close..LOL

It has been around 100 degrees here and right now at 9:03 PM when I open the front door it feels like a heater blowing on me. UGH!!! So we only work early and maybe late but like today it just never cools down here.

I think I might just start saying we hope to have it finished by Christmas!!!!
Old 2012-05-26, 4:26pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Gorgeous! Congratulations

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-20, 7:21pm
Salt Box Beads

Here is the finished area. We still want a japanese lantern where the buddha is and move the buddha to the one of the lower terraces.

Next week: we will finally start the studio. I am having DH install the A/C first. It has been so hot lately I doubt we can work out there without it running.

Daphne was making a final inspection..LOL And our resident bluejay has laid claim to the top of the arbor, you can just barely see him up there.

( bluejay added in a cropped pic)

Hopefully pics of the studio build will be next!
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-06-20 at 7:25pm.
Old 2013-04-14, 7:10pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Finally we have started on the shed!

I was beginning to think it would never happen. Life so gets in the way sometimes. LOL

Today DH started on the electrical. I wanted lots and lots of plugs and I wanted them all up high. I did have to change my plans somewhat and I will post about all of those changes as we go along on my blog and here too.

After the electrical comes the insulation and gypsum board ( sheetrock). If any of you see anything we are doing wrong holler. It is our first build ( in a real building) and we are totally newbies at this.

So happy, FINALLY!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-05-01 at 5:15pm.
Old 2013-04-20, 9:44am
I fart diamonds

Nice!!

Old 2013-04-23, 10:43am

Lorraine - that is so great! I trully hope you get it completed soon. You are soo close. And I want to thank you for sharing since it's been a long time - sometimes I think that I'm the only one that life gets in the way of me doing things (especially for myself). And of course the garden is awesome
Old 2013-04-26, 9:19am
Salt Box Beads

Thank you Jainy.

I have been out of commission with a STUPID!!! pinched nerve in the small of my back for days now. Hubby is going to do some work on the studio today and tomorrow but I can't help plus he has to take care of me. I can't even bend enough to put on a pair of socks...

Life does get in the way...LOL but we just have to keep at it, eventually it will get finished.
Old 2013-04-27, 10:04am
They see me rollin'...

I'm sorry that you are having back problems, Lorraine! I can sympathize! I hope it feels better soon!

-Patti
Old 2013-04-28, 10:37pm
Salt Box Beads

Awww thanks I appreciate it.

I empathize with anyone else that has back pain. I wouldn't wish it on anyone! Today was the first day I didn't take pain pills so I am getting better.
We did get the fuse box in and a few other things but not much. Hubby won't be home until the week of the 6th so probably will not post again until the 12th or the 13th.

Our electrical situation is unique because we are in a 50 year flood plain. Here in California that means dealing with at least 5 red tape hoops to jump through including FEMA. I would have to build my studio shed with a 18" deep permanent foundation. I wasn't/ am not going to do that.

So we decided that we would wire the shed completely anyway, but the breaker box panel inside the studio shed will be wired with a 10 gauge electrical cord that goes through the wall to the outside and will connect to an outlet on the side of the house which will be installed by our electrician.

So when I go out to my shed I will plug it into the house which is only 6 or 7 feet away from the studio shed. When I am done torching for the day I unplug it and I am done.

Pictures will help to better explain it all. I will post them as we go along. For right now we are just happy to have finally figured out a way to get electrical without involving FEMA.

I got the idea from looking at how RV parks do their hook ups and from hubby because they use the same electrical cords out at the drill sites to run all of their heavy electrical. It should work.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-04-28 at 10:41pm.
Old 2013-04-29, 9:04am
They see me rollin'...

That's a great idea. I've been wondering if I should do something like that? I'm confused about the whole thing...S Bar S was supposed to put an outlet on the outside of the shed so that I could plug in the shed to power it up. However, there is no outlet out there. I think it's called a male plug. I thought maybe it's because I added a breaker box to the shed, that the outside plug wasn't necessary or wouldn't work or something. Maybe because of the amperage. I don't know. Or they just goofed and forgot to install it.

I may be too far from the power pole to do what you are doing, though. It's on the other side of the house. Obviously the electrician will let me know what will work the best, but he is booked up until the middle of May.

How much amperage is your shed going to use? How many amps can a 10-gauge cord handle? I have 40 amps in my shed, but I think I should add at least 40 more.

Anyway, I'm glad your back is feeling a little better!

-Patti

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-04-29 at 9:09am.
Old 2013-04-29, 11:01am
Salt Box Beads

I think you can do the same thing. We ( well electrician) will run electrical from the main breaker box which is on the front of the house near the power pole, under the house all the way to the back of the house where we will add a covered plug to the outside right across from the studio.

We have lots of crawl space under the house but you can go around the outside or trench in the ground to the studio or run a line from the top of the house over to the top of the studio.

There are lots of different ways to run power from place to place. Husband said he may go with a larger cord just in case. We won't really know until we just do it.

We had 40 amp in the garage but we may go bigger with the separate studio because we would rather have too much than not enough. I have an AC, or heater, a hot plate for warming rods, shards and murrini, lights, Kiln, exhaust blower, inline fan for replacement air, concentrators. I think that is about everything I would or could run all at once except for a computer, radio or tv.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-04-29 at 11:16am.
Old 2013-05-01, 3:37am
kinda torching....

I'm hoping to be doing the same soon enough, power will be my issue as well.
Old 2013-05-01, 5:13pm
Salt Box Beads

Good luck as it really can be a brain tease! It can be tough because each build is different and comes with it own set of unique design situations. I know this very well becuase I have setup four spaces so far. This makes the fifth one and is the only one in its own building.

( shoulda done it this way the first time around!)

Posts pictures if you can because it helps others when they start to build or set up a studio.:wave
:
Old 2013-07-11, 9:04pm

The way you are wiring it is how we did mine. It looks great! I bet you can't wait.
Old 2013-07-11, 9:35pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks. Yep, waiting is the hard part. Patience is a virtue.
WHO SAID THAT!!???
Old 2013-09-27, 10:19pm
Salt Box Beads

Talking FINALLY! Finishing studio.

DH finally got a three week vacation and has had time to start finishing the studio. Electrical is done, insulation is done, sub floor is done. Not sure if I have to paint the subfloor or not?

In two weeks we start the gypsum board, texturing and painting which I can do so hopefully we can finish this thing by 2014!!! That little square hole next to the floor is for the fresh air to come in under the workbench. I'll post more pics tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 2013-09-28, 1:01pm
Salt Box Beads

Default More photos

We decided to use an RV type system since FEMA remapped us into a 50 year flood zone and said we needed to have an 18" deep foundation if we added electricity to the shed.
So we went ahead and wired the shed but it will not have electricity to it until I plug in the building just like at an RV park.

The studio is very close to our house for several reasons.

First is to run the electric to an RV post unit that will be directly across the walkway from the plug on the outside of the studio which is to the left of the door and connects directly to the box inside.

Our electrician is going to run the electrical from the front of the house, under the house and out through a vent right above the ground on the house which is directly across the walkway allowing us easy access to the plug on the outside of the studio.

Second is so that I can close off the upper 6' patio fencing and keep Daphne with me for safety/protection.

I can also see the house easily and keep an eye on my mother if she has to come and stay with us or live with us.

After a session and while the kiln is running I will be able to watch the digital readout from the patio doors in the living room through the studio window where the kiln will be.

A lot of thought went into planning this studio and it sure feels good to see it finally being finished.

I know other peeps have waited years for their studios also and it is SWEET when it is finally done isn't it?!!!

More pics to come...
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-09-28 at 5:55pm.
Old 2013-09-28, 8:20pm
They see me rollin'...

That's looking great!! I'm glad you are getting it done soon!

I really like saltbox sheds. They look more like a real cottage.

I wouldn't think you would need to paint the subfloor, unless you are not going to put anything on it?

-Patti
Old 2013-09-28, 9:04pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Patti, I am putting down some porcelain tile. So hopefully I can put the glue down on the bare subfloor.
Old 2013-09-28, 9:47pm
They see me rollin'...

You mean the mortar? I just stuck the tiles right to the plywood floor. It worked great.

-Patti
Old 2013-09-29, 1:48pm
Salt Box Beads

I'am not sure if we glue tiles first or just use grout. It is powdered grout I think? It comes in different colors in sacks and is a dry powder and I think I add water?

Well, I will find out soon enough.
Old 2013-09-30, 12:35pm

Quote:
Thank-you for the layout diagram.

Our property was recently rezoned by FEMA and they have determined any building with electrical has to have an 18" concrete footing and all of the electrical has to be at least 36 inches off the ground and I have to hire an engineer to oversee the whole project!!!
I don't know if it woks the same in the US but in Canada if you don't have a permanent foundation for your building you don't have have it inspected.

My last studio was in a small house we skidded onto our property & left on the skids & my current studio is a travel trailer I bought for under $1000. Neither had to be inspected & that made a huge difference in time & money.

Your studio looks great by the way.

Back in my day, we had nine planets.
Old 2013-10-02, 6:16pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks, I can't wait for hubby to come home so we can do more. He wants to do it because he know I will just slap it all together. LOL
Old 2013-10-06, 1:19am
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
I'am not sure if we glue tiles first or just use grout. It is powdered grout I think? It comes in different colors in sacks and is a dry powder and I think I add water?

Well, I will find out soon enough.
You "glue" the tiles to the floor with mortar, then put grout between the tiles after allowing 24 hours for the mortar to dry.

You might want a pair of knee pads.

-Patti
Old 2013-10-06, 7:54pm

The studio looks great!
I am working on a shed studio also but doesn't nearly as amazing as yours!

Just wanted to let you know about hardibacker board... The tiles if flexed may crack and hardibacker can stiffen your subfloor so you get less give and less chance of tiles cracking... Last I checked for a 3'x5' sheet, it was $12.00 at the local big box warehouse.

Looks great!!