Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-14, 8:46am

Default Corina Jones Video - Stringer Control

I rented this dvd from SmartFlix.com. . . it came yesterday, and I watched it this morning. It was a great video and I highly recommend it.
Old 2006-11-14, 9:48am
birdergirl ~o~

What a great site - they have lots of Videos I'd like to see -Is it really a $10.00 rental - that seems high just to rent for a week. Too bad we couldnt start a DVD rental with Members here whose dvds are gathering dust!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2006-11-14, 9:51am
Hot Rod Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
What a great site - they have lots of Videos I'd like to see -Is it really a $10.00 rental - that seems high just to rent for a week. Too bad we couldnt start a DVD rental with Members here whose dvds are gathering dust!
I agree that the rental charge is high, and there's no delivery date recorded or for returns so they can easily charge for a second week and how would you dispute it?
Old 2006-11-14, 10:12am
ManBearPig

I've rented many many videos from them (at least 30). I know I've returned some late. I've never been charged for an extra week. They do send you an e-mail when they receive a video back from you, too.

And, that $10 covers shipping both ways. They send you an envelope to send it back with the postage pre-paid. They are also very good about customer service. I got a DVD from them that was scratched (it was an old one) and they sent me a new one no questions asked.

Old 2006-11-14, 10:34am
birdergirl ~o~

It only cost 50 cents to mail a dvd!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2006-11-14, 10:42am

I had no idea, you could rent movies on the net - crazy! I guess ou learn something everyday.....
I'm going to go and check it out for sure!
Old 2006-11-14, 11:11am

alot of their dvd's arent priced as low as this one and they are dvd's that you cant rent anywhere else. So I think 10$ is fair.

Old 2006-11-14, 12:30pm
Hot Rod Addiction

BTW - I also think the Corina Stringer Control DVD is great. It's actually one I think I'll keep around a while.

I had the Aquarium Bead DVD (I think it's by Kate Fowle) and it was good and I got a few tips that I can use, but can't see watching it over and over again like the stringer control one.
Old 2006-11-17, 11:32am
product of the universe

Has anyone seen a rodeo stringer?

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-11-18, 6:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGirlGoneBad View Post
BTW - I also think the Corina Stringer Control DVD is great. It's actually one I think I'll keep around a while.

I had the Aquarium Bead DVD (I think it's by Kate Fowle) and it was good and I got a few tips that I can use, but can't see watching it over and over again like the stringer control one.

The Aquarium video is by Pati Walton. Kate Fowle has 3 out right now, covering making canes, using stienert molds, enamels, tons of great info I can't remember at the moment. Corina's' stringer dvd is very good also.

Old 2006-11-23, 8:40am

Well, at the same time I rented Corina's video, I also rented Volume I by Jim Smircich. It finally came 2 days ago and I've watched it twice. He's the Tiger Woods of the lampworking community, I think! He makes everything look so easy. He's very clear with his instructions, and so, now all I need is practice.

I learned so much from this video! And, he comfirmed some things I'd figured out myself. I highly recommend it.

I want some of the armrests he uses. Maybe my husband can make some for me the right height. I have the Creation Station and it's mostly just in my way, although I do use it to steady my right hand part of the time. It just doesn't fit me. Most of the time I use a felt covered brick on my left to keep my "spinning" arm rested, it's a little low though.

Anyway, I think I'll rent Volume II next! Here's Jim's website. http://www.smircich.com/
Old 2006-11-23, 12:05pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
The GLDG has a library:
http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthr...hlight=library
Old 2006-11-23, 12:41pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
Has anyone seen a rodeo stringer?

Yes, yes I have... Adam is hilarious!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-12-11, 5:31am
Anyone need some spacers?

The first time I though that 10 dollars was to expensive but tried it anyway. The stringer video was one of the first I rented and it was worth every cent. That one I would've even consitered buying. I think it is much cheaper than purchasing them and a great service.

Old 2006-12-11, 6:17am

I love Smartflix....It is worth the $10...since I usually dont like the videos I buy...so getting to watch them first is the best thing for me...There service is excellent...if you order 2 tapes at once you get the second one for 7.99 ...

Old 2006-12-11, 7:07am
Entropy increasing....

You know, I bought this video and watched it about a year ago.

Yesterday, I got to sit next to Corina and watch her apply stringer for a couple of hours.

Now I get it.

Under the flame!