Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-09-06, 8:28pm
Boldly going

Default So what should I do with this burn?

I'm an idiot, slightly retarded, and apparently I'm blind too.

The other night (I had nothing to drink, I swear) I was torching, making some of my little disc beads. I was moving my hands to in front of the torch so I could nip off a piece of cane when, guess what, the side of my hand touched the face of my lit torch. YES, it actually touched the torch nozzles.

I have no idea how this could happen but it did. Apparently my depth perception and motor skills are not what they used to be. The skin surfaced was seared. Being the real trooper I am, I tried to finnish the bead. The bead was no big deal so I aborted. Went and put said hand under cold running water. It hurt for a while but no more.

So now what I have is this blister the size of a quarter on the side of my hand by the nuckle for my index finger, left hand. It's the biggest blister I've ever seen! It sticks out about 1/4 inch, so gross, and very peculiar looking. It has not popped yet.

What should I do? Anything? Just leave it alone? I'm at a loss. I'd rather not have a big scar there for the rest of my life. It does not hurt at all anymore and the redness in the surrounding area is gone.

Should I pop it?

Should I post a picture?

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2005-09-06, 8:41pm

So I'm not the only one that added to my scar collection today!

I have a blister...but not that big. I always put neosporin and a bandaid on it for a day or two...then I pop it. If you pop it now....you better get a leather strap to bite...that sucker is gonna HURT!!!!

Cass

Old 2005-09-06, 8:43pm
CA Queen Bitch

I am so sorry! Been there done that! Got any tea tree oil? Burn spray or cream in your first aide kit?? I'd sure put something on it!

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-06, 10:29pm

Default Burn

Oooh. I know it is painful because I have done it too! This is the perfect opportunity for you to get some silvadine. Not sure if I am spelling it right. Go to your Dr. and he will treat the burn properly! Sauves are not the best. Unless specified for burns. But EVERYONE should have silvadine in their cabinet. It is the number one burn ointment. Heals fast! It is perscription only. So you must go to the Dr. and get some. The generic name is: Silver Sulfadiazine 1%. It is most important for all of us that use the torch. Linda Spence
Old 2005-09-06, 10:31pm

Hi Anakin

Sorry been there doing that. KEEP it CLEAN...No infection... don't pop blister ~ less of a scar...There is a thread with some groovey cures...or go get yourself some second skin.

Good luck
Cathy
Old 2005-09-07, 5:23am
Satake Woman!

I second the "go to doctor". If for no other reason than to get the cream! In the mean time, cover your burn with gauze to keep dirt off, and do not pop it!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-09-07, 7:28am
Crispy Critter

Definitely don't pop it, you'll just open up an avenue for germs to get in. On its own, it'll dry out, the skin underneath will heal, and then the blistered skin will peel off.

Old 2005-09-07, 7:38am
Back from the Dark Side

I haven't had the pleasure of sticking my hand in the torch...yet...i know it's coming. I have just managed to rest my hand on the tool that was just working the bead...blister the entire length of my knuckle on my ring finger. I didn't pop it...kept it bandaged with Neosporin + (it has an anelgisic for pain). It took about a week to heal, but there is no scar.

I've heard that lavender oil is supposed to work wonders on burns, but I have not tried it. Did I mention that I keep my neosporing and a box of bandaids in my studio...right next to me

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-09-07, 7:46am
I'm a lilac!

I third (fourth? fifth?) the DO NOT POP advice! If you leave it alone the blister acts as a natural bandage to keep the injured tissue sealed and protected from germs and irritation.

I use lavendar oil and have found that the difference between a burn treated with lavender and one not treated with lavendar is remarkable; the lavendar stops pain and speeds healing dramatically.

The good news about your burn is that it's not nearly as bad as it could have been. The torch face is not the hottest part of the flame, and the fact that the skin is blistered rather than blackened is actually a good sign. You may want to have your doctor look at it, but unless it shows signs of infection, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep it covered to prevent the blister from popping, and let it heal. Don't poke at it! If the blister pops, don't peel the skin off; cover it with a thick layer of antibiotic ointment, keep it covered, and replace the gauze twice a day.

Old 2005-09-07, 8:06am
JOAT, Master of None

Am I the only one that wants to see this sucker?
Old 2005-09-07, 8:43am
Satake Woman!

No Robin, I think there are several of us who are ready for the sight of someone else's burns for a change.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-09-07, 10:44am

I'm going to try that lavender...is it an oil at the drug store? I've heard it's great..just have never gotten any.

The ONLY reason I pop my big blisters (only the big monster ones) after a couple of days is I had one "slide" open...ya'll know what I'm talking about....it hits something and whammo. Morphine drip needed to kill the pain. But that's just me...I'm a big baby.

Cass

Old 2005-09-07, 11:33am

as always I suggest tea tree oil for any burn, natural antimicrobial as well as helping with the rest of the bits a burn needs... I also suggest a trip to the doctor anytime you feel you need it for care or peace of mind. I also suggest you not do it again. I try to take that advise myself and its amazing how often I don't listen. Still recovering from my last burn. Empathy for you. Sounds like you can torch however... thats a light side for this dark cloud.

A.
Old 2005-09-07, 1:20pm
Boldly going

So today I go with my three year old to pick up my five year old from his first day of school. Reese (3 yr old) wipes out on the sidewalk on the way. No blood or bruises, just tears and Mr. Crabby pants attitude swing. So now I'm dealin with him as we wait for Ross (5 yr old) in plain sight of the school playground - a definite recipe for dissaster. As I'm wrestling with Reese, my blister pops - eeeeewwwwwwwwwww!

So now instead of having full mobility (read: able to continue making big ass marbles) I have a big gause bandage and tape ungulfing my hand. NOw I gotta figure a way to do one handed marbles.

This could take some practice.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2005-09-07, 5:52pm

Silver Sulfadiazine 1%. It is most important for all of us that use the torch. Linda Spence ---"
That's the truth. Did not need for "at the torch" but used for chemical (bleach) burn so was fortunate to have it on hand. Left no scarring either.
Old 2005-09-08, 3:15pm
The Venerable Bead

[quote=SassyCassie]I'm going to try that lavender...is it an oil at the drug store? I've heard it's great..just have never gotten any.

the lavender oil can be purchased on e-bay or in some health food stores where they have medicinal oils. Also tattoo parlors and piercing places sometimes carry it as it is the number one recommended thing used to heal piercings. make sure you are sold topical oil and not an incense oil and make sure you dilute it 10 to 1 with another oil like grape seed oil

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2005-09-09, 11:46am
Somewhere Out there

Anything that blocks airflow will help prevent pain. For a while in the 80's I had doc's recommending toothpaste! I was unable to get pure lavender oil when I needed it for my first bad burn, and rather than get a potpourri-ish type oil with several additives, I got pure rosemary oil. It worked like a charm. As a nursing home nurse, we get people in with huge wounds, often covered with eschar--that's black, leathery, dry, dead tissue. Once we get that off, we can really start promoting healing. My first bad burn( I didn't know it would sizzle like that!) actually had eschar. All I used was rosemary oil, pain free within a couple of days and healed in a couple of weeks.
I have since gotten a tube of silvadene, just in case.

I 8th(9th??) the advice not to pop the sucker. However, since you now have a broken blister, prevent infection with silvadene and gauze. Try a 'non-adherant' pad under the gauze. If you don't have silvadene, try a triple antibiotic ointment. Just keep the tip of the tube of ointment clean- I have seen some of these things actually grow germs.
Old 2005-09-09, 1:51pm

dr. Burt's Res-Q-Ointment is good too--it's by Burt's Bees
comes in a little green tin--I'm using it now...on my thumb, because for some UNKNOWN reason I felt the need to squash my tapley lentil press "harder" using my thumb?? WHAT was I thinking? lol...

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2005-09-16, 9:21am

If you can get to a Target or Walmart get a tube of Boudreaux's Butt Paste. It will most likely be with the baby stuff. I got a similar burn and after a couple hours of fresh aloe I started putting this on it and it never blistered. The butt paste was invented by a pharmasist and has Peruvian Balsam in it. I kept it constantly on my hand while it healed and I did not scar. Also like what was mentioned before, it blocked the air flow and therefore stopped the stinging.

Right now the most important thing is to keep it clean and covered to prevent infection.

We use Butt Paste for everything from chapped lips to skinned knees. Its like old fashioned snake oil,,,it cures everything.

take care,
Janice
Old 2005-09-16, 1:44pm
Cheeky & Impervious

Oh, that SUCKS! I hope you heal quickly and get back to making your gorgeous marbles soon!

If it makes you feel any better, I dropped molten glass in my lap about 3 1/2 weeks ago...I was NOT dressed properly for torch, had on a rayon/poly blended suit I'd worn to work...burned through both sides of my skirt...burned my (way) upper, inner thigh (3rd degree -- 2" swatch of skin about 10 layers deep, no blister, just gone, and bleeding....). I was laughing (but I always was a little weird), and ran in to show my husband as I thought he could see it better than I could, considering the location (about 1/2" away from something REALLY personal). He was a little taken aback and asked if I should get medical attention, and I said, "H&LL NO!!! I am NOT even going to TRY to explain this to someone in the ER!" Uh-UH.

So, I'm finally healed, but have one nasty scar. I told hubby when people notice it when I'm in a swimsuit next summer, I'm just gonna say he got "too exuberant" during certain activities and it's all HIS fault....

I've probably gotten more scars in the last year doing this hobby than in the past 20 combined! Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to hijack....I really hope yours heals soon!

~ Jules

Old 2005-09-16, 2:37pm
trying to follow along

How is it looking Anakin?