LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-07-11, 5:48pm

Red face Stupid eye protection question

This is probably a ridiculous question but is there a difference between welding eye ware and lampworking eye ware? I have a couple of pairs of Didymium glasses, is there a difference between these and welding goggles?
Sometimes I have more than one person wanting to watch and I only have one pair of extra glasses so I have to be mean.
Old 2011-07-11, 6:09pm
Hobby Junkie

Welding glasses don't have the didymium filter in them that protects your eyes from the sodium flare. You really need didys. Keep checking the garage sale part of the forum. People frequently sell used ones there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-11, 6:39pm
Salt Box Beads

Safety eye wear is threefold for lampworking;

1. Soda Flare and with boro I guess it is boron flare? LOL

2. Safety Protection with the lenses being a material that doesn't break into slivers and splinters

3. Protection against foreign material getting into eyes so snugly fit wrap around design. Most inexpensive lampworking glasses have the cheap clear plastic corner pieces you can remove or leave in.

I prefer regular snug fitting reader safety goggles and look through a bench shield. Too many peeps have talked about a wild piece of flying glass ducking under or over their glasses and just missing their eyeball but still burning an eye lid etc.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-07-11 at 6:44pm.
Old 2011-07-11, 6:50pm
Gentleman of Leisure

And dark green shade #3 or #5 COUPLED with didymium (for soda/boron flair) for Inferred and Ultra Violet protection from the intense radiation of HOT borosilicate glass....

Incidentally didymium glass is no longer produced, the replacement glass is ACE 202

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-07-13, 9:21pm

Thanks everyone! I will stick with the two pair we have at this point and add on later.
Old 2011-07-13, 9:40pm

So I guess I should wear my glasses then, I find myself forcing them onto my face. I hate wearing them. But, other than glass flying at my eyes, could It hurt my vision in the long run?
Old 2011-07-13, 10:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2glassgal View Post
So I guess I should wear my glasses then, I find myself forcing them onto my face. I hate wearing them. But, other than glass flying at my eyes, could It hurt my vision in the long run?
Absolutely. I dont think I could even tolerate working boro without my philips shades for long. How long have you been working without protection? I have the Philips wraparounds that fit over my prescription lenses and they are very comfortable for me. Maybe try a different style?
Old 2011-07-13, 11:06pm

I usually start my session with them on and then about 30 minutes later this suckers are off, vie only been lamp working about 5 months so I would say probably 75% of the time I don't wear them. I'll start looking for a new style and see what happens. Thanks for responding
Old 2011-07-14, 7:32pm

Is that the same as Phillips 202?
Old 2011-07-15, 12:58am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2glassgal View Post
Eek!

Yes!

How an you see anything through the soda flare anyway

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy