Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-06-18, 12:29pm

Default Bronze wire as decoration

Hey everyone, another question from Kisaya here.

I took some copper wire9Sorry for the mistake in the title, I was tired), heat it real good in the flame and applied it on an Ivory bead like a stringer, molten it down and encased in clear. It turned out very beautiful, but It cracked. It's still solid, bit it has very noticeable cracks along the wire.

Has anyone done this before? I was sure it'll turn out fine - at the Art Academy we always put copper wire and foil between glass and then fuse it, it never ever cracked. The glass we use for fusing is 96 COE, and the fusing needs a slightly less temperature that lampwork, but still I don't think this should happen.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Kisaya; 2014-06-19 at 5:15am.
Old 2014-06-18, 10:29pm

I'd guess it's too thick so you're getting compatability cracks. Frit and very thin wire will take encasing but the torch heat will usually cause the zinc and copper to separate resulting in bubbles. Torch flame is up to 5000F, fusing is more like 1500F, bronze doesn't reach melting point when fusing.
Old 2014-06-19, 5:11am

Why did I write bronze, when I was using copper? Well, my main suspect is that it requires kiln right away, and I only put it into ceramic blanket.
Old 2014-06-25, 6:44am
Glass-aholic

I think you will have better luck if this goes directly into the kiln, not batch annealed. The metal has a vastly different COE than the glass. I think copper is something in the 600's...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-06-25, 8:46am
Artistically Absorbed

Yes definitely better results straight to kiln. One of the major things I noticed over the years is that beads with inclusions, metal, CZ's whatever need to go into the kiln glowing red hot.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-06-26, 11:54am

hank you everyone, I'll have mu kiln around July 3rd and try again. I'll let eveyone know the result