Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-03-01, 9:10am

Default Need temporary ventilation solution for an apartment

Hi. I'm new to this forum, and I created an account specifically to ask this question. I'm sorry if I'm repeating ventilation questions that others have asked. I have been reading a lot of threads, and ventilation seems extremely complex and variable depending on each person's room situation. So I thought I would get some advice from you guys.

I recently took a bead making class at the local glass factory. I enjoyed it a lot, and would like to set something up at my place. I ordered a HotHead beginners kit and some tools and glass. However, now I'm not sure how to solve my ventilation problem. I probably should have thought everything out before I ordered everything online :-p

I live in an apartment, so I have no outdoor space, no garage, no basement available. I was planning on setting up the HotHead torch in the second bedroom (currently a guest/office room). Its not a large space, about 12 ft x 11 ft, with one window, one door, and a ceiling fan.

My question is whether it would be ok to torch in that space if I opened both the window and door and had the ceiling fan on? I can also get another box fan or something to circulate room air.

Or is there some better ventilation system you recommend i purchase? I am planning on moving in 2-4 years, so I cannot have anything permanent. Also, I cannot make any new vents in the walls or anything like that. I could probably vent out the window if necessary.

I apologize if these are stupid questions. I'm pretty much a complete beginner, but I wanted to get started the right way. Thanks very much for your help!
Old 2013-03-01, 9:23am
Loving learning

I'm no expert, but yes you need to vent the air outside.
Will your torch be set up in front of the window, so you can put a good fan in the window to pull the fumes from your torch & outside?
Can you open a window elsewhere in the apt a little, for makeup air to come in the door?
Old 2013-03-01, 9:46am

The only window in the room is in a tight corner, so it isn't super ideal to have the torch right in front of it. But I can get the torch as close to the window as I can and put a strong fan there. The door opens to a long hallway with no windows, but I can open windows in the rest of the rooms if that will help a bit. Do you think the ceiling fan will help too?

I know the space is not ideal, but its all I have to work with until I finish school.
Old 2013-03-01, 10:34am

The ceiling fan will simply spread the fumes around the room so that they can be picked up by your HVAC return duct and distributed throughout your apt. You need to actively remove the torch exhaust from your workspace - out the window. an apartment is really not a good place to set up for lampworking. Consider the liability issues if you should have a fire.

Robert
Old 2013-03-01, 11:38pm
Salt Box Beads

You will probably get evicted because using a torch in an apt. building will probably cancel the insurance coverage. No torches or fuels are usually allowed.

Welcome to the lampwork world.
Old 2013-03-02, 7:44am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
The ceiling fan will simply spread the fumes around the room so that they can be picked up by your HVAC return duct and distributed throughout your apt. You need to actively remove the torch exhaust from your workspace - out the window. an apartment is really not a good place to set up for lampworking. Consider the liability issues if you should have a fire.

Robert
Robert is pretty much spot on..... Only solution I can see is box fan in window, if it does not "work" for you don't do it....

As an Lorrain says, if landlord finds out, you will probable be told to stop (minimally) or asked to leave..... If you have a accident that produces a fire situation, you inflict damage or imposition on all the other dwellers in apartment building....

You are moving into area where it is a health hazard (heavy metal toxics and carbon monoxide poisoning and respiratory issues -NOX)....

Solution at the moment may be to rent studio time a couple of times a week....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-03-04, 11:02am

Thanks for all of the suggestions everybody. I will see if there are any other options I can try first. If not, I'll consider the box fan in window thing. My boyfriend may be willing to let me set up at his place, so that might be good. And I know this probably doesn't make it better - but I don't live in a large apartment complex surrounded by neighbors - its more of a townhouse/condo setup, so I only share 1 wall with neighbors since I live on the end.
Old 2013-03-04, 12:11pm
Loving learning

Wherever you end up setting up, make a fire extinguisher one of your first priorities.
I hope I never have to use mine, but I have it mounted in a very accessible spot just in case.
Old 2013-03-04, 1:14pm
I fart diamonds

My set up is moveable:

Inline fan with rigid flexible ducting out a window blocked with foam board. I move the fan back, remove the foam board and close the window when I finish torching. It's not top of the line, but it works and I didn't have to cut any holes.

Last edited by shawnette; 2013-03-04 at 1:24pm.
Old 2013-03-05, 6:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
My set up is moveable:

Inline fan with rigid flexible ducting out a window blocked with foam board. I move the fan back, remove the foam board and close the window when I finish torching. It's not top of the line, but it works and I didn't have to cut any holes.
Where do you keep your propane tank?

robert
Old 2013-03-05, 6:53am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
Where do you keep your propane tank?

robert
I've always kept my propane outside. I use quick connects and run the hose through a window. Lately I've been thinking more about piping it in, but I'm lazy and don't want to cut holes in my wall.

Old 2013-03-06, 6:48am

From the photo I was afraid that you had it under your work table. I cut the holes and ran the pipe a while back and it's been very satisfying not having that to worry about.
Thanks,
Robert
Old 2013-03-21, 10:02pm

Is an in line fan strong enough / right for lamp working? The website I'm looking at looks like it's saying they are for bathroom use?...Or heat transfer? Could anyone tell me if any of these would be suitable?
http://www.fansonline.com.au/ventila...r-in-line-fans
Old 2013-03-22, 6:47am
Gentleman of Leisure

Its not about what type of fan it is so much as its about how much air will it move..... If it will not move 500 cfm (minimally) it is not going to do you much good.... Generally fans are sized to the type and size of hood you are using....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=273

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-03-22 at 6:55am.
Old 2013-03-22, 7:48am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by juls mei View Post
Is an in line fan strong enough / right for lamp working? The website I'm looking at looks like it's saying they are for bathroom use?...Or heat transfer? Could anyone tell me if any of these would be suitable?
http://www.fansonline.com.au/ventila...r-in-line-fans
The one I use is for hydroponics, like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPower-4-6-8...item2574f3a5e0

They're much stronger than the bathroom fans.

Old 2013-04-16, 9:09pm
Heart of Flame

How noisy is your fan Shawnette? I am needing to change my system mostly due to noise!

Old 2013-04-18, 5:46pm
I fart diamonds

Not very loud at all. You can hear for yourself: http://youtu.be/67ai0aI00r0

Old 2013-04-23, 9:39am
Heart of Flame

Thanks Shawnette! That was incredibly helpful!

Old 2013-04-30, 8:43pm

I'd be concerned about how close a neighbors window may be to your out vent. A sleeping baby in room with an open window nearby. triple check where your exhaust is going

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2013-05-01, 7:13am

I made one like Shawnette did but I placed it under my torch. With a 25' duct, you don't necessarily need to cut a hole in the wall for the vent, you can run it 'somewhere else' (like in the closet or down the hall and into a garage), then pick it up and out of your way at the end of torching.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-05-01, 7:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I'd be concerned about how close a neighbors window may be to your out vent. A sleeping baby in room with an open window nearby. triple check where your exhaust is going
this is crazy
I'd be worried about industrial pollution
Old 2013-05-01, 7:52am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
this is crazy
I'd be worried about industrial pollution
Industrial pollution? From a single lampworking torch? And likely, a small one, at that? That's quite the over-reaction.

Melinda's point is valid in that we are venting fumes that contain carbon monoxide and metals which could definitely be harmful if they were being vented into a room. (Or a close-by open window. the window would have to be pretty close, though.)

Being vented outside doesn't pose a problem. The amounts are small enough to be dissipated once they hit open air.

Old 2013-05-01, 8:48am

I don't think she meant the industrial pollution was coming from the torch. I think you substitute something else, like for instance "hair spray", you'll get the idea.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-05-01, 11:31am

In my last house I had the exhaust vent run up through the ceiling and out an attic vent about 6-8 feet above a window that I would open. I had a fan in the window blowing out. I had makeup air coming from open window in another room of the house. When there was little breeze outside, after several hours, I could smell the exhausted fumes pretty heavily in the studio. I don't know the chemical makeup of the air in the room at the time, but I wouldn't want a baby breathing it.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Last edited by Melinda; 2013-05-01 at 5:48pm.
Old 2013-05-01, 1:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
I don't think she meant the industrial pollution was coming from the torch. I think you substitute something else, like for instance "hair spray", you'll get the idea.

-D
no I didn't mean industrial pollution would be coming from a torch.
Old 2015-04-22, 5:23pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Resurrecting this old thread. I am trying to recreate something similar to Shawnette's set up, but have troubles.
How are you guys able to work with the semi-rigid ducting? I bought already 3 different ducts, and I just can't seem to fix it properly and long-term either on the fan or on the hood opening and also have trouble hanging it from the ceiling.
It's ripping off the fan, unravels at the ends or tears. Any tips?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2015-04-22, 9:32pm
Phill

Belt and suspenders is my first thought.

Silver aluminum tape over screws as close as 3 inches apart around the circumference of the duct work connections.

I hung mine from the ceiling with long quarter inch thick wood eye hooks into the framing behind the drywall and then I used the screen door spring chains that have chains on either side of a spring in order to isolate some of the vibration from turning the walls into vibrating sound amplifiers.

If you have to you could rig 1 inch angle iron lengths inside the ducts and run series of eye bolts to the outside and hang the duct work from the bolts.

You could also cut up a length of hard duct work in to 6 to 10 inch pieces and fit them inside the ends of you flexible duct. Use metal tape and screws here and even tape the inside of the tube as well.

Predrill your holes half the diameter of the screws because the screw will open it as big as it needs and don't over tighten them.

You could also fashion cradles out of strips of metal duct work and hang the ducts from the cradles instead of the ducts themselves.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-04-22 at 9:40pm.
Old 2015-11-09, 11:35pm

I LOVE this set up, it gives me hope lol Thank you for the photo, I, too, am in the process of trying to figure out the safe, healthy way to vent a work space setup.....I am trying to figure out something for the basement.....yikes. ~peace